Print Story It's been a lazy day.
Christmas
By toxicfur (Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 04:01:04 PM EST) (all tags)
And we have a couple of busy days coming up. So we exchanged gifts tonight.

I received this. I've been grinning all night. I got other amazing stuff that I'd been wanting, too, including the complete Bone and a Timbuk2 laptop messenger bag.

The most amusing part, though, is that ana and I bought each other the same book off our respective amazon wish lists. I've read the introduction and one of the stories, and so far, it's excellent. Neil Gaiman once wrote (in his blog, I think) that children are able to handle scary stories in a different way from adults. Adults think kids shouldn't read scary stories, when kids  are just fine with them. I read one of these such stories in Noisy Outlaws, etc. Freaked me right the fuck out, but a kid would love it. Does make me want to read more stuff by Kelly Link, though.

We also gave the dog his gift: a stuffed squeaky squirrel. He's been carrying it around and trying to remove its fluffy tail all day. We should give the cats their catnip toys and fill their bowls with smelly canned food.

And now I'm drinking a nice Spanish red wine, after eating an easy-but-tasty dinner. It's been a good day. Perhaps pics will be posted later, when ana figures out how to use hir new toy.

To all who celebrate: Merry Christmas. To those who don't: Have a wonderful weekend.

< Lazy Saturday Afternoon | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's been a lazy day. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It's been fun. by ana (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 04:27:30 PM EST
I can see I'll have to spend some quality time with the manual and the camera over the next week or two, but it takes snapshots very well. And the iBook knows what to do when I plug it in. I like stuff that Just Works. :-)

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

That's a great camera by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Dec 24, 2006 at 08:10:31 AM EST
I bought one for myself a couple years back. Can do fully maual, aperture priority, shutter priority, various automatic modes. Watch out for the sports mode, the shutter fires repeatedly very quickly in that mode. You can find yourself shooting several frames without realizing it.

Two recomendatios:
A CF card of 1GB or more, plus a spare.
A Real Flash that mounts to the hot shoe. Costs about $200, but worth it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

May's a big Kelly Link fan. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 04:51:50 PM EST
Not just her own writings, but May's also dug a lot of the books Link's released from her press, Small Beer Press.

May recommends starting with Link's Magic for Beginners.

Thanks. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 05:03:40 PM EST
It's on my amazon wish list - I just haven't picked up a copy of it yet. I usually try to buy from the Havard bookstore, and that means I have to write down what's on my wishlist and transport it to Harvard Square. It'll happen eventually. :)
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
That's a heck of a toy. by mrgoat (4.00 / 2) #4 Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 05:44:02 PM EST
My amateur photographer self wishes he had one.

--top hat--
It really is. by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Dec 24, 2006 at 02:37:02 AM EST
And what's more, I didn't have to do the research to figure out which of the many things on the market would be enough but not too much. My film camera is showing its age, finally, so, like, hey, y'know? Bring on that PhFC!

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

It's funny. by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Dec 24, 2006 at 06:52:02 PM EST
I didn't get into photography until the point where it was unclear wether it was better to get a digital, and save on film, where you have more opportunity to learn by trial and error, or to get a film camera, where you arguably got better pictures.

Now, there's no question. My digi takes pictures as well I as I can - the film is overkill. It's weird to think that in ten, twenty years, you'll have a hard time even finding this "film" thing, let alone a camera that uses it.

--top hat--

Hey Merry Christmas, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Dec 23, 2006 at 06:08:40 PM EST
y'all.

We end up not wrapping our gifts, since Laurea normally can't wait.  But I've managed to keep her hands off of this painting I got her.

I'll have to get some pictures of the stuff...if only I had a damn fine digital camera....
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

Thanks! by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Dec 24, 2006 at 02:38:06 AM EST
And a merry Christmas to you two, too. :-D

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Merry Christmas! by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Dec 24, 2006 at 03:53:03 AM EST
I understand Laurea's problem. I get all antsy about gifts, though usually it's because I can't wait to give them. I start dropping hints as soon as I've picked something out, and drive the recipients of my gifts nuts. I realize it's an annoying habit, but I can't seem to help myself.
-----