Print Story Semi-drunk diary
By toxicfur (Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 04:08:30 PM EST) (all tags)
I sobered up a bit while mopping a few more gallons of water off the basement floor.

It's been a shitty week. But I drank about 2/3 of a ~2 pint bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve, 9% alcohol by volume. Trappist Monks love me and want me to be happy.

I sent iGrrrl an email on Friday that said:
Sure. I can do that.
[redacted].

Yes, I really wrote "redacted." I started with a screed about what a shitty week it has been, and deleted it. [redacted] is so much more eloquent in these cases.

Right now, I really dislike my job. I am the hamster in the hamster-wheel-of-death. The harder I work and the more I do, the more there is to do. My desk is hidden beneath a paperdrift, and I feel like I barely have time to breathe. This week was bad, since there was an internal deadline on Friday. I made the deadline for 2 of the 3 sections I'm writing for. The 3rd belongs to my uber-boss, and I think she just doesn't care about the internal deadlines, and she has the clout to back up her not caring. The dude who set the deadline brings out rage and desire for violence that I haven't felt in a very long time. I really despise him. I want to punch him. I want to make him cry. I want to make him fear.

That makes me a little bit ashamed of myself.

Then I picture myself outside his office, with my kick-ass machete in my hands, and I smile.

Today was the culmination of the shitty week. Our hot water heater has decided that it no longer likes water, so it spewed it all over our basement. Almost exactly one year ago, the main drain out of our house decided it was tired of being a drain and cracked, spewing water all over our basement. I suspect that we will soon be breeding the Mold that Ate Boston.

This new plumbing development nearly sent me over the edge, since I was planning to merely keep an eye out for work-fires that needed addressing but basically taking the weekend off. I was going to be all girly and take a bubble bath, with some sort of flower-scented soap. I was going to read SF while doing that so as to not totally be a girl, but still. It was going to be great. Until we had no hot water, that is.

Now, I want be able to even wash my hands with hot water until Monday evening. I nearly cried. I promised myself thate $evil_project would not make me cry this time, so I sucked it up.

Right now, our dog is half on my lap. He's a big dog - 70 pounds, give or take - but he thinks he's a lap-dog. When we first got him, I liked him. Today, I realized that I love him. It's complicated, getting a new pet after one dies, especially when that one almost literally saved my life. The new dog, though, is special, too. And I love him.

Another glass of wine, and I'll love all of you, too.

I think I'll stop drinking now.

< What can I compare you to | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Semi-drunk diary | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Chimay. by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 04:39:27 PM EST
The beer that turned me into a beer drinker. Good stuff A+++++ will drink tonight.

I first had Chimay... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 04:45:31 PM EST
at a friend's restaurant when i was last in Wilmington, NCia. It was the most expensive beer (per glass) i'd ever had, but oh so worth it. I've recently found a convenient liquor store that has a really decent beer selection, so I bought a bottle of Chimay and 2 four-packs of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA - more excellent beer.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
As I say, by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:48:29 AM EST
Dogfish Head is the best thing to ever come out of Delaware.

Also, I got to hear the founder of Dogfish Head talk recently. He's about our age, and as ad hoc would say a, cutie cute cute.

That would be cool to hear him speak. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 07:43:45 AM EST
That beer really is excellent. I thought of trying some of the other varieties, but the 90 Minute IPA is rapidly becoming my new favorite beer.
-----
I'm sorry by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 07:57:05 PM EST
You should have been at my Saturdy meeting with all the cheeses.

Not.

As for your [redacted], I think my reply indicated agreement.  I've re-written their first paragraph.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Your agreement with [redacted] by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 07:48:15 AM EST
was about the only thing that made me smile at work on Friday.

And I have to say that I'd much rather spend my Saturday removing water from my basement than sitting in that meeting. I'm sorry you had to do that.
-----

only 2/3 of chimay? by R343L (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 08:41:36 PM EST
Your week sounds like two bottles of wine bad to me. ;)

Rachael

I seem to have become a lightweight. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 07:50:28 AM EST
My alcohol tolerance just won't handle 2 bottles of wine anymore. That should be a good thing for my budget, except that my tastes have grown proportionally more expensive. Getting old sucks! ;-)
-----
The Mold That Ate Boston. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:10:43 AM EST
I've had weeks like that. Can't Ana just run down to the Big Orange Home Improvement place and buy a new water heater? They're not that hard to install. Hell, even I've done it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It's a gas water heater in a 100-year-old house, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 07:54:41 AM EST
and neither of us has ever installed a water heater before before. With the gas + semi-ancient water pipes, I think it's probably better to let a professional do it. The water heater that just died is 16 years old, so it's time to get it replaced - I just wish it hadn't waited for the coldest weekend this season at the end of a shitty week to die.
-----
If possible, by skippy (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 04:20:55 PM EST
put a drain pan underneath the hot water tank, and run the outlet of that to a floor drain (if there's one nearby) or into the sump (if you have one).

I'm quite thankful that in our house there's a drain in the storage area with the hot water tank.  When we had the plumber in (during some renovations), he had to drain the tank, and it all spills nicely onto the concrete and runs into the drain the way its supposed to.  Now, if our washing machine hoses blew, that would be a completely different matter...

Unfortunately... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 04:46:09 PM EST
especially since practically all of our plumbing is in the basement, we don't have a floor drain. We do have a pan under the hot water heater drain, and that's helping. And last week, we got a wet-dry vac from one of ana's friends (who bought a new, quieter one). If we hadn't had that, we'd have been in the same position we were a year ago, when the main drain pipe leading out of our house cracked and spewed really disgusting water all over our basement floor.

Old houses are great, except when they aren't.
-----

Remind me by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:22:29 AM EST
to tell you my mold story at some point. It shows my uncanny acumen in making real estate deals.

we love you too by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 2) #7 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:25:28 AM EST
lots.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Chimay White Label is pretty good too. by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 06:28:14 AM EST
For some stupid reason, people with liquor licenses can't sell the blue label in VT. I've found a few places that sell red label and one place right down the street from me started selling the white label. YAY!

I had to check... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Dec 03, 2006 at 07:46:00 AM EST
but the blue label is what I got. They had a couple of other varieties at this liquor store, too, and I'll likely give them a try as well. I get all excited in liquor stores with good beer selections. Yesterday, I was happily gazing on all of the interesting beers, and ana sort of poked me. "Choose!" Um, ok. Sigh. ;-)
-----
Synchronicity. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 04:23:54 AM EST
Our hot water heater went out....Dr. Wife noted a small piece of wet carpet in the closet nearest the hot water heater.  Sure enough, the bottom has sprung a slow leak...and god knows how long it'd been leaking.

We tried getting Home Depot to install a new one...gave 'em a credit card, agreed to pay $750, and even got on their schedule and 8am on Saturday (they say if you get on the schedule before 2pm, you get same day service!) but they never called, never showed.  So Sunday we cancelled the order and did it ourselves.

Been a long time since I sweated pipes.  Goddamn 20 year old copper and solder stuff...the world changed to compression fittings and FIC connections years ago.  But I actually managed to solder the fittings in, and we're set for at least 6 years.

Anyone reading this who owns a house: look at your hot water heater, right now, and make sure it's up to snuff.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

We lucked into an awesome plumber... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 04:34:31 AM EST
and he's coming today to replace the water heater. This plumber is typically prompt and does excellent work, so I do believe it'll actually happen today. I just hope the water is hot when I get home today - I would really like an actual shower. And hot water to wash my hands.
-----