Print Story Ask Husi: mindless Xmas consumerism edition
Photos
By clover kicker (Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 09:35:40 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm looking to replace my old 2MP digicam. I'm a camera moron, so I can't tell snake oil from essential features. I'm told that 5MP is plenty for the amateur, so that's the range I'm looking in.

I know there are a bunch of shutterbugs here, can I start a camera flamewar?

Must haves:

• small (no SLR plz!)

• takes decent pics

• sub $300

Nice to have:

• uses AAs so I'm never stuck with a dead battery/camera

• multishot/continuous mode

• relatively low light photos (longer exposures, ISO something something, duh I'm a camera moron)

Alternatively, if y'all could point me to a camera review site that isn't full of shit...
< Packing Heat | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask Husi: mindless Xmas consumerism edition | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
digital cameral review site by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 11:55:18 AM EST

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Canon PowerShot A530 by chuckles (4.00 / 2) #2 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 12:17:45 PM EST

Features

Cons

Canon's page on the A530

Canon PowerShot A540 by chuckles (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 12:30:38 PM EST
Basically the same camera as the A530, but:
  • 6 megapixel instead of 5
  • 2.5" LCD display instead of 1.8"
Available for < US$170. [1, 2, Canon]

I'll vouch for Canon cameras by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 12:43:14 PM EST
I've owned a Canon 35mm SLR and now a digital point and shoot (A75, 3.2MP).  I've gotten Canons for my sister and my mom (2x) and they've loved them (my sister was a professional portrait photographer).

Great features and great prices, plus, with the exception of the Elph's, all take AA batteries.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
check lyle saxon by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 04:44:19 PM EST
IIRC he posted a diary a while back about his new toy camera. wide screen (16:9) sensor, decent quality, AAs, cheapish. seems to fit all your requirements.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
my nikon coolpix by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 05:35:31 AM EST
has a dumb name but does everything you ask for except take good pictures in low light. I'm willing to accept the blame for this because I don't know what I'm doing, but I assume a fellow camera moron would have similar problems.