Print Story My life has gotten so boring
Boredom
By georgeha (Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 07:59:28 AM EST) ho ho ho, sword of damocles, escape, SAD (all tags)
I can barely write a diary.

Plus, my young man's fantasies and realities have swapped, incoming mother in law, One Tolk over the line, and less.

Poll: Why can't I get into the holiday spirit?

Work is still rough, some of our biggest customers are in their seasonal crunch, which is giving us a seasonal crunch. There has been quite the clamor for an onsite visit. Just give me enough notice to get my prescriptions refilled.

Can you believe my Nokia 1100 is still holding a charge from last week? That's over 6 9 hour days on in standby. I only made three calls on it.

Mrs. Ha is getting a few sub hours at her old job, you wouldn't think a few hundred a month would make a difference on our budget, but it does.

As a young man, playing AD&D, Traveller, Squad Leader or Third Reich, I often though how nice it would be to have a partner, and live in domestic bliss. Lately those thoughts have been reversed, thinking how nice it would be to spend some time where my biggest worry was a stack of 3/8 inch cardboard squares. There's a good chance I'll get to relive that time this weekend, there is a meet on Saturday I want to go to.

Of course, it will require split second timing. MIL is staying with us this weekend, so I'm in charge of the kids on Saturday, which means I have to negotiate swimming classes and a birthday party for five year old that overlaps with ten year old's class. I'm hoping to have someone give ten year old a ride home.

Tonight I hope to deliver some GS cookies with ten year old, to raise cash to buy a Christmas tree tomorrow, assuming I can take tomorow off as I planned. Payday is Friday and my account is pretty low. I still have an action item to see what cookies have no chance of being delivered for my faithful net correspondents.

I picked up The Hobbit a few nights ago, in anticipation of my annual escape into Middle Earth, a Christmas tradition I began in seventh grade. I couldn't start it, I'm not sure if I'm afraid of ripping through it too fast, or that it's not enough escape for me.

< Apparently... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
My life has gotten so boring | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
ob pollneedstobemultiselect by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:06:30 AM EST
Here in DCia it's in the mid-60's during the day. Not very conducive to hearing sleigh bells in the snow.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

ob At Your Service by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:14:01 AM EST
Yeah, crisp air and a blanket of white downy snow would help me reconcile the 8 hours of daylight.

obthanks! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:17:12 AM EST
It feels weird to go out for lunch, in short sleeves, with the sun so low in the sky at noon. When the sun is that low it should be cold, blustery, and snowing, not warm enough to eat lunch outdoors!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

and all the snow reflects what little light there by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:27:42 AM EST
is, making the nighttime less dark. It's just abnormal for the frozen north.

WIPO by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:18:37 AM EST
What holiday?
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together
ChrismaKwanzukkah? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:25:11 AM EST
six straight days out of the office, some of which I won't even check my work email.

It could be worse, it could be sponge bob. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:29:22 AM EST
My kids aren't big avatar fans, but they recently watched a marathon on TV - I kind of liked it. Instead of a bumbler who accidentally saves everyone, he's a bumbler who actually loses and pays a price for it.

Good lesson for kids to learn early.

:-/

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

I like Avatar and Spongebob by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:33:28 AM EST
I guess I'm heading into anime fanboism.

i doubt it by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:40:07 AM EST
as i've never even heard of avatar, and i can't stand spongebob. to be a fanboi, you got to be able to pay attention for the entire 23 minute episode.

Avatar is Americanized kiddie anime by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:47:38 AM EST
big among the Nikolodeon set.

Not *quite* anime. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10:20:29 AM EST
I mean, it's no Teen Titans. Also, the company making it seems to be American.

I did like how he basically said "screw enlightenment, my woman is in trouble!"

It was so... Luke Skywalker of him.

spoilers! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10:40:13 AM EST
I haven't seen that episode yet.

And it is an American production, though illustrated in Korea.

LO likes it by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 02:48:31 PM EST
she was begging me to watch it the other night.  I was surprised she was getting into the anime.
The apple doesn't fall far from the geeky tree by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 02:15:52 AM EST
huh

Oh, as for Tolkein escapism by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:31:56 AM EST
For happy reading, Leaf by Niggle etc., (What's that book, Farmer Giles of Ham and other Stories ?)

Alternately, Silmarillion. If you can remember the real world while trying to plow through the wagnerian agonies of Feanor and his Silmarils, you have a better brain than I.

I need to be well rested to tackle the Silmarillio by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 08:40:05 AM EST
n, though I do enjoy it. I think I've read it through 4 or 5 times.

I believe that it is by skippy (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09:39:12 AM EST
"Smith of Wooton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham" - both are nice little short stories.  The former has more of a wistful air, the latter is more lighthearted.

Ahh, the Silmarillion... fantastic!  I should read that again, it's been a few years.  Some of the "Book of Lost Tales" series are also good - while Christopher's analysis of JRR's writing can be a touch academic at times, it provides some additional depth and backstory to Middle Earth.

oh, turin turambar by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09:41:21 AM EST
but on a happier note, beren and luthien.

well, sorta happier.

What you need is more sunshine by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09:32:00 AM EST
and motorcycle riding/work time.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I get to work as the sun rises by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09:46:24 AM EST
start home as the sun dips below the horizon. I could use an hour or two of wrenching time.

i've read and re-read tolkien by R343L (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 11:10:22 AM EST
so much since I got copies in seventh grade that I've gone thru several copies. Or rather, I ended up switching to cheap trade paperbacks so the older copies didn't get so messed up. Unfortunately, the older copies were left with the parents and I now have no idea where they are.

Rachael

I tend to buy cheap trade ones at garage sales by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 11:17:52 AM EST
since after enough rereadings, the covers start to fall off.

Sometimes I buy Pynchon at a garage sale too, if I have a convert in mind. Otherwise I leave it for kharma to pick someone.

Hmmm, Traveller by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 07:22:47 PM EST
I seem to recall that Mag Blast is based on TRaveller. The new version is a bit cartoony on the art, but is astounding quality. Should be pretty simple to pick up as well.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
A hard Hobbit to break by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 01:08:29 AM EST
Anonimouse is now on his fifth set of Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings books, all upgraded courtesy of Mrs Mouse to hardback due to the tatty condition they end up in after a few years. I'm currently reading the Hobbit as a bedtime story to the MiniMice....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I somewhat agree by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 06:51:03 AM EST
"As a young man, playing AD&D, [...], I often thought how nice it would be to " get laid.  Couldn't really care less about a partner, or living in domestic bliss.

I agree regarding the teenage nostalgia, or even a-few-years-ago-before-I-was-married nostalgia, when I could do what I damn well pleased.

Such simpler times I had then.

My life has gotten so boring | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback