Print Story Apparently...
By riceowlguy (Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 06:48:13 AM EST) (all tags)

I went over to HX71-in-exile last night to see enshanam one more time before she goes back to grad school.  The Duke of Dunstable had traded his broken 360 for a Wii, so I got to experience the joys and frustrations of the latest Nintendo offering.

Since both Nathan and I are tennis players IRL (although I can't play anymore, indefinately, until my back problems sort themselves out) we of course immediately jumped in for some Wii Tennis.  As depicted in the linked PA strip, there are a couple ways you can play Wii Tennis.  I started out playing the Gabe way (i.e. full swings) and while that works, it turns out to be much more effective, particularly when serving, to play the Tycho way (all wrist).  Pretend it's ping-pong.  We also played some bowling, baseball, and then Excite Truck which is ridiculous.  I never got around to trying out Zelda (sorry, Y's!).

The one problem with Wii Tennis is that the team on the far court side has to reverse their forehand and backhand, i.e. balls on your right side for right-handed players are really backhands.  You can get away with not doing it but you won't be very effective.  At one point a dropped an easy volley and said "see, now I'm thinking about it, instead of just...wiiacting."  That was worth a few chuckles.

I had a pretty good weekend; Friday night was awesome with home group, turkey and sausauge gumbo (I have new faith in my roux-making skills, and I finally managed to not screw up a meal when new Jenn was there), and pumpkin pie.  Saturday I got a bunch of errands run, then had fun at Lights in teh Heights (better for people-watching than anything else; the numerous Santas-on-Skates, the santas with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other, etc) and getting owned at mafia at The Lord Chancellor's afterwards.  Sunday was a choir marathon day, and I was pretty tired the whole time so I don't remember it much, but I think Lessons and Carols came off okay.

Code monkey get up get coffee.

< I am better in my head | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Apparently... | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The first step... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 07:37:56 AM EST
is admitting you have a problem.

The next step is to find even better ways to use your controller.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

I also am a toolbox by R343L (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 11:07:46 AM EST
I haven't even tried the little-flicks-of-wrist method with wii tennis. It's just to fun the full on way.

Between you and tix, it looks like my next game will be Excite Truck, not the Rayman game. Of course, I might want to finish Zelda first (got frustrated at one point because I can't aim worth shit and put it aside).

Rachael

Played the Wii for the first time Sunday night... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 02:34:01 PM EST
Baseball is hard and kinda tiring. I don't know if my old decrepit frame can take all that punishment. Therefore, if I do play Wii Baseball again, I think I'm going to take some steroids first. It's the only way...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Next up? by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 10:26:27 PM EST
Wii Cycling - Tour de France - Steroids and EPO version?

I've been 'roiding up by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 04:03:40 AM EST
for my back...maybe that's what I hit the walk-off homer. :-)

Apparently... | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback