Print Story J'ai perdu mon Eurydice
By Bartleby (Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 09:18:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Rien n'égale mon malheur;
Sort cruel! quelle rigueur!
Rien n'égale mon malheur!
Je succombe à ma douleur!

Phantom limb pain where my bike used to be. Self-pity warning level: Santa-Claus-on-dope red. Moderately strong language, no nudity.

It's no good style to walk out of an ongoing conversation, especially if you're the one who started it in the first place; and yet I did precisely that in my previous diary. My apologies to everybody who might have been waiting for a response.There was a point or two I might be wanting to return to; we shall see.

What happened was that I left the library to meet a friend, planning to come back later in the day. Instead, I discovered my bike had been stolen while I was inside. A lot of panicking, searching, remorse, hoping, cursing, whining and indulging in violent revenge phantasies followed, as you can imagine. Ever the word nerd, I was even composing a husiary portraying my favourite expletives in my mind while I was waiting for my turn at the police department. Somebody have his Russian mafia pals feed those pigfuckers a few spoonfuls of polonium, please?

No, don't. I can't even dish out cruel and unusual punishment in my helpless revenge phantasies. I'm such a softy.

SACKRATTEN!!

Back home at last, I was still way too agitated to actually sit down at the computer and write anything. Funny how different people seem to be in this regard. I'm probably hopelessly oldfashioned, and a non-techie to boot, but for me no form of writing suits spontaneous conversation, which includes letting off steam. Thus, no real time blogging from/for me.

Instead, I did the wrong thing, as usual, and basically curled up in my cave and had a shitty week. Not just because that/those SCHWEINEPRIESTER!! amputated my wheels. This is generally the time of the year for me to be fed up with myself even more than usually. I'm at the point where posting a diary is a momentous boost in my social life. I didn't talk to anybody Tuesday through Monday. I didn't "work" much on my whothefuckcares paper despite being way behind schedule anyway. I didn't even read this site anymore. All of this is not good.

Ich habe es satt, allein aufzustehn
Als erster zu sehn
Dass ich noch lebe

Ah, life, what's not to hate?

Well, it's been a week, life goes on. Doesn't it always?

My Christmas cactus is budding. It's a miracle any plants survive in my "care", but the cactus might even be in full bloom before I leave for my annual family roundtrip. Thanks, pal.

Schlumbergera. Schlumberger is an Alsatian name, I believe. In German, a smurf/ un schtroumpf is called ein Schlumpf. Harumph.

SCHEISSHACKFRESSEN! RAAHHH!!!

News just in: Arctosa cinerea, European spider of the year 2007.

I had more, but I'll keep that for another day. Thanks for your time. I feel better already.

< Broke another rib. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
J'ai perdu mon Eurydice | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's one secksi spider. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 09:32:46 AM EST
Too bad about the bike.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together
Thank you. by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 10:09:21 AM EST
Quite the cutie, isn't it? Sorry for failing to link to an announcement in English, that's because I didn't find any. I'd expect something to appear on the European Society of Arachnology website in the near future.

Schlumph. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 10:04:25 AM EST
What a fabulous word. I think I'll be saying it to myself the rest of the day. Schlumpf.

My condolences on the loss of your bike. :-( Even though I'm by no means a serious cyclist, I'd be devastated if something happened to mine.

Schlumpf.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

Schlumpfionary. by Bartleby (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 10:27:08 AM EST
Schlumpf, der - nom. app., m.
Schlumpfinchen - nom. prop., n. Name of the only female Schlumpf
Papa Schlumpf - nom. prop., m. Schlumpf village chief
schlumpfig - adj.; adv.
schlumpfen - v., prefixes to be added ad libitum

The bike thing is decidedly unschlumpfig. My love for melodrama may have gotten the better of me when I used the amputation metaphor; it isn't remotely as serious, of course, but I am devastated, true that.

Araneus diadematus was robbed. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 12:49:52 PM EST
The fix was in from the get go.

Found it! by Bartleby (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 02:02:56 PM EST
Déjà vu. I so did hope this would happen :)

I could only remember the joke. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 02:04:00 PM EST
I couldn't remember the original spider.

The show must go on. by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 11:06:53 PM EST
Another hero, another mindless crime.

unschlumpfig by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 02:33:01 PM EST
I'd forgotten you ignored me until you reminded me. But you have a good reason, and your bicycle's lament was eloquent, so you're excused. It was an interesting passage to ponder, anyway (the previous diary).

Real-time blogging in times of pain is a mixed bag. Sometimes I think the best approach is to slam it all out into the keyboard (assuming a reasonably sturdy keyboard) and then never, ever show it to anyone (including, possibly, your future self).

"If we build it, will they come, and what will they do when they get here?" -- iGrrrl

J'ai perdu mon Eurydice | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback