Print Story Ask Husi
Linux
By ana (Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 07:57:37 AM EST) ask husi, ubuntu, printing, home network (all tags)
Ubuntu vs. OS X: cage printer match!

Weather! Chills and Excitement!

An attempt to break the silence.

So I recently installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my linux box, giggles. You may recall that I tried, and failed, to install 6.06 last summer. So, that time, I re-installed 5.10 (5.11?), in the process partitioning the disk into /home and /.

The installation went very well; replaced the contents of / (the operating system and little else), restored the packages I'd had installed before (by virtue of using Synaptic to save a file full of what-all I had installed, and re-loading it, post upgrade).

Now, the ask Husi bit: How do I get it to talk to the macs on the house network? I can do ssh, no problem, and findsmb seems to know about it, from both ends. But it won't print to the HP Laserjet we have attached to the desktop iMac (fray), giving a "waiting to connect" or some such message. I also can't get at it by poking the network icons on the macs (two iBooks and an iMac running MacOSX 10.4.x). Do I have to do something to start Samba on the Ubuntu machine? The printer setup widget seemed to work; it found fray, and then found the HP printer on fray, but it won't print the test page.

In other news it was 69 degrees F yesterday in Boston, which beat the old record for the date by a degree. It's in the upper 60s again today, but I'm afraid it's the Last Nice Day; they're saying high wind warnings for the afternoon and evening, and a high of 40 with rain all weekend.

Seems I'm not quite sure what to do with myself, now that I'm not spending a couple hours a day writing a silly novel. I think I had a life that I've mislaid someplace.

Seems like toxicfur had an "ask Husi" kind of a question, but I can't remember what it was. Stay tuned...

< I love working at a university | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask Husi | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If it was me? by coryking (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 08:20:34 AM EST
I'd put the printer on a dedicated, network print server.  Then your laptops could print while your desktops are off.

Since I've never done the whole "printing" thing from linux, I can't tell you if/how this would work.  Actually, I cant say it would work on your macs either.  Something tells me the answer to both is "yes" and that it would be easier than trying to share it from real computers.

Looking at the docs, those linksys ones do "internet printing protocol".  As long as your linux & macs speak whatever that is, you should be okay.

.... remembers the good old days when printers used good old giant IEEE1284 parallel cables.  you kids and your usb...

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Um by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 08:33:55 AM EST
We actually leave the desktops on all the time anyway.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Surely you stare at it though... by coryking (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 08:56:49 AM EST
And think "wow.... I sure wish I could turn that noisy desktop off."  But you know sometime the significant other will print from their laptop and bitch because you turned if off.

I don't have a print server either as I've got all the desktops on as well.  But I'd like one so I can put the printer on its own centralized, cozy little cabinet far away from the desktops.

I do believe it might be easier to configure in your homogeneous environment too.  God only know what will happen when your Microsoft buddies come over and try to print to your mac print server.

-------------
Dog food. Snack for some. Feast for others.

Well... by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 09:03:22 AM EST
Friends don't let friends use Microsoft. ;-)

The giggles machine is rather noisy, but it lives in the office upstairs. The dog (who sleeps there) seems to find the sound comforting. I know, weird dog.

On the other hand, fray is usually silent.

We shut down the last Windows machine last month when it would no longer function even as a print server, and it was just too slow to even try to troubleshoot. Moved the printer to fray. And now everybody's happier.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

global warming facilitator (nt) by komet (4.00 / 3) #10 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:27:52 AM EST

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
That's actually a good tip for me. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 08:40:00 AM EST
I've been looking at replacing our last desktop with a laptop, so a print server would be needed.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.
I haven't done it, but... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 08:22:24 AM EST
The underlying print engine in OS X is CUPS, so, you should be able to do it that way if you have CUPS on your Ubuntu box.

thx by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 08:33:05 AM EST
looks like useful advice.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

printing... by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 09:09:52 AM EST
...we put our new printer on the airport express and now everything can print to it (os x/'doze/*nix).

i'm all about easy.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

i heard that about you by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 09:36:59 AM EST

you would know... by clock (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:28:02 AM EST

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Linksys. by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:30:39 AM EST
'nuff said.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

gotcha. by clock (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:25 AM EST
sorry 'bout that.  can't help ya there...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

networked printing is the devil by theantix (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 11:00:59 AM EST
I got out of the game by buying a ethernet capable printer.  So now I just point my printers to the correct IP in osx and linux and it's easy as pie.  Actually it's substantially easier than pie, pie is very hard by comparison.

If the printer wizard found your computer and the printer on that computer, the samba client is clearly installed.  Unfortunately I don't know why it wouldn't print if it got that far.  If something was broken after that like the wrong driver or something it should give you an error message, so it's a touch weird that all you get is "waiting to connect".  Do you need a account/password to access the shared printer resource?
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

It did ask... by ana (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 11:19:28 AM EST
for a username/password, which I supplied, during the print setup. One presumes it would remember that for whenever it needed to print.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Also, by ana (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 11:22:44 AM EST
we've talked about moving the router next to fray, so that it (and, one hopes, the printer) could have hardwired connections. This would involve getting giggles to talk on the wireless (we have a usb wireless gizzy that's surplus since the ancient windozer is now a paperweight).

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

No joy by ana (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 01:36:37 PM EST
This thread, started last April, reported this bug in two versions back. It's still there, in freshly downloaded Edgy installs (see the last two entries). And apparently the Dapper patch doesn't work with Edgy.

Delusions of adequacy, sez I. Oh, you wanted to print!?. Please download the source, patch, recompile. Oh, you don't have the compiler? Download the following 62 packages...

In a non-rant mode, it seems to be a permissions issue; the printer wizard doesn't have permission (according to the cups log) to change the cups database, let along log you into a (public) SMB server elsewhere on the net.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Eek, Samba? by ajf (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 12:23:47 PM EST

I don't know what "the printer wizard" is (presumably a Gnome app?); but for the permission problem, have you tried using the astoundingly ugly web based configuration interface CUPS provides at http://localhost:631/ instead?

Oh, and you've got a bunch of Mac and Linux machines and no Windows? Stay away from SMB, then, and just use IPP. Hell, we've got a Windows machine here and we still use IPP because it Just Works.

"I am not buying this jam, it's full of conservatives"
Too much free time? by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 02:27:09 PM EST
Do what I'm doing, start another novel. Though I'm taking this one slower, since I'm reading on the train rides in, and writing only on the ride out. Though I need to do some research while I have web access.

I'm pretty sure my other ways of attempting to fill time would not meet with tf's approval if you were to implement them, though.

Just as an FYI... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 03:31:18 PM EST
there are very, very few things I disapprove of. Shooting up heroin, probably (unless it results in a painting of the future).

Good luck with the new novel. Do post it somewhere when you start to feel comfortable with it so I can read it. I totally dug your NaNo.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

Well... by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 03:58:43 PM EST
aside from the new novel based more or less on the happenings of that are described in the De-volt and Revolt chapter (think: an anthology of the literature of the revolution), I also think I need to do some more research for MaS/WaS. Something I wouldn't think you'd disapprove of in general, but not something you'd encourage ana to do.

Ask Husi | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback