Print Story Oops, I voted
By lm (Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 09:33:48 AM EST) (all tags)
Sorry about that.

General observations.

First, I've never seen that many people at my local polling station. Two precincts in my neighborhood vote in the basement of the local community center. Usually I stroll in in the morning, sign the rolls and cast my ballot. I don't ever recall waiting in line for more that thirty seconds or so. This time I had to wait about five minutes because all of the voting booths were taken. As of late last night, guestimates on the turnout for the entire county was fifty percent of registered voters.

Second, the issues on the ballot were mostly written very badly. One was a constitutional ammendment to allow slot machines at racetracks with a portion of net profits going to college scholarships. Not only is this not the type of law that ought to be embedded in a constitution, but its basically a corporate giveaway. I would support an ammendment that removed all statewide barriers to gambling so that individual municipalities could decid for themselves whether or not to ban casinos, but this was crap. So was the anti-smoking ammendment funded by big tobacco. A second anti-smoking referrendum wasn't written too poorly.

Third, this election is the first time I can remember having voted for anyone who won any major race. My pick for US representative lost but for the first time ever I guy voted for made it to the state house. It feels kind of weird.

The gubernatorial race was such a blow-out that the GOP candidate conceded just on the strength of the exit polls. While he was a very creepy guy, I think the GOP's big mistake was running a black guy in a statewide race in good old racist Ohio. Of the other statewide races, the only one not won by the Dems was the one where they fielded a black candidate. Maybe I underestimate my fellow state residents. But in the nineties when I lived in one of the most liberal parts of a blue collar manufacturing town, I regularly saw such events as pastey white folks walking around with tee shirts with klansmen on the front and the slogan `the original boys in the hood' on the back. Then there was the neighborhood tavern with a cheery little sign on the front door advising `no coloreds'. Sometimes Ohio makes me despair.

Hopes.

My number one hope is that control of congress will lead to a substantial inquiry into corruption, especially wartime profiteering in Iraq. With billions of dollars unaccounted for, heads ought to roll. An inquiry into intelligence leading up to the war would be nice as well, but IMO that's spilt milk. There isn't much that can be done except to clean up the existing mess. If Democrats can just get this one thing done and done well, barring some unforeseen disaster, they'll increase their margins in 2008.

I also hope that they try to drive through health care reform, living wage leglislation, the 90/10 Proposition, a real social security reform, and figure out how to gracefully exit Iraq. But I don't have my heart set on having any of these items fixed in the short term. They are all hard problems.

And if they could give me Karl Rove's head on a pike, that would be most excellent. But I don't see that happening. A good second option would a re-enactment of the special prosecutor law and appointment of Mr. Fitzgerald to look into white house corruption. But I don't see that happening either.

I also hope that Al Gore runs in 2008. This is not very likely. It appears that he'll only run if he's drafted. I can't recall the last time a party drafted someone rather than picking someone who ran in a primary.

And that is all for now.

< Goodbye | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Oops, I voted | 39 comments (39 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good luck by herbert (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 10:26:52 AM EST
in the shoe lottery.

Aye by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 10:33:05 AM EST
All the state-wide issues went my way, which was a first.

I too would vote to legalize gambling, but found it very troubling the way they (whoever they was..) tried to trick people into voting for it (the Vote Yes ads rarely mentioned anything about casinos or gambling - all they talked about was money for the children...) and embedding it into the constitution is a sure way to get my no-vote.

Blackwell got a sound thrashing which helps to restore my faith in humanity just a bit.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I was surprized, the first time by debacle (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 10:37:46 AM EST
I was in your state, just how racist it is. Kind of saddened, as well. Didn't seem as bad as some places in Florida though. I guess that's a pretty good thing. Maybe you can put "Not as racist as Florida!" on your bumper stickers.

What sort of interior design elements would work well with Karl Rove's head on a pike?

Also, what's the 90/10 Proposition?

Heh by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 11:11:07 AM EST
Well, Ohia for the most part has been a blue-collar worker, or farmer worker state, neither of which are generally known for their intellectual prowess.

Hence you tend to get your share of old skool ignorant type thinking, i.e., racism.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

It's just strange by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 11:42:58 AM EST
We were 20 minutes out of Columbus. Farmland, hicksville.

20 minutes outside of Buffalo, you're still in the suburbs and half way to Rochester.

Aye by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:20:11 PM EST
Columbus is right in the middle of Farmland USA.

Clevia, on the other hand, is almost all suburbs. I can drive for 45 minutes going from the west burbs to the east burbs.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Looks like a shit city though by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:21:38 PM EST
Very white and blocky.

Columbus or Clevia? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:27:48 PM EST
Columbus has some very nice burbs. My sister lives in one of the burbs which is quite nice.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Cleveland. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:43:49 PM EST

SW by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:19:13 PM EST
Not so nice.

Blizzard of Death '06
Ah by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:33:08 PM EST
Not sure what part of the city you've been to. Like most older big cities it has it's interesting parts and bad parts. It's seen better days though, that's for certain.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

bad example. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:23:07 PM EST
Columbus is the capital.  Twenty minutes out of Albany, where does that get ya?

Blizzard of Death '06
Back on the thruway and on the way home? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:25:39 PM EST
Honestly I've never fucked around in Albany.

Not so bad example by lm (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:38:55 PM EST
Columbus is the second largest city in Ohio. Only Cleveland is bigger.

Cicero, The Republic
It's the largest now by thenick (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 03:36:27 AM EST
Cleveland - 479k
Columbus - 730k

But it has few suburbs, and those are mainly north and east of the city.

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

Columbus has plenty of suburbs by lm (4.00 / 1) #37 Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 03:41:15 AM EST
Dayton and Springfield, for example.

Cicero, The Republic
woah, my facts are way out of date by lm (4.00 / 1) #38 Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 03:50:46 AM EST
Since 1980 Cleveland has lost just under one fifth of its residents (100k) while Columbus has grown by almost 50% (200k).

Cicero, The Republic
USA: still capable of surprising me by komet (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 10:41:52 AM EST
Minnesota. Maybe the US hasn't gone to the dogs after all.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
err, Minnesota what? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 11:56:34 AM EST

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Seems to me that he used it as an expletive. /nt by Ignore Amos (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:42:02 PM EST

I shall smite him for this defamation! by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:49:02 PM EST

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Minnesota? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:53:46 PM EST
Founded by scandinavians.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Just being curious here by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 10:42:51 AM EST
How do you see a "living wage" style law working, exactly?

My former home state of Missouri passed a state increase of minimum wage yesterday and this had been a topic of conversation with friends. The problem I see with such laws is that it, in the long term, gets turns into legislated inflation and begins a long spiral of poor governmental monetary and labor policies.

What do you think would be the best way to combat such effects while still being able to individuals and businesses the flexibility to work independent of direct government control? Or do you see part of the problem as one where the government doesn't have enough control over business and labor?

While I'm not an economist ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 10:57:17 AM EST
I believe that the few studies that have been done on the question have found a very strong positive correlation between rises in minimum wage legislation and economic growth. If you are aware of any studies that actually suggest the phenomenon you bring up as ever having happened, I'm all ears.

But as for determining what a minimum wage should be I think that the answer is that it is a wage where a single worker with a forty hour work week could keep an average sized family above the poverty line. It's rather simple to index this to inflation.

Cicero, The Republic
With just a quick googling I found the following: by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:05:31 PM EST
that one Peter Tulip of the Federal Reserve Board seem to think so. Abstract here  with the full article here.

The rest of the articles I came across so far seem to be arguing for the position you currently have. A particular intresting set of points is here. Their figures, or at least how I understand them, would seem to indicate that the vast majority of hourly workers do not benefit from an increase in the minimum wage since they are currently making more.

To quote the Monty Python: "Blimey! This redistribution of weath thingie is harder than I thought!"

Quick searches on Google can be deceiving by lm (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 03:01:18 PM EST
Peter Tulip measured an impact on NAIRU which is not a well accepted measure of inflation and a concept for which there is no well accepted definition that I'm aware of. I'd be much more impressed if you linked to Tulip's article in a peer reviewed journal or in a collection of essay's on the topic. I'm not about to spend a whole lot of time on the subject but Tulip's thesis is contradicted by virtually everything else I've read on the topic. As you yourself mentioned, most papers on the topic suggest that inflation is not a real concern.

Second, I'm advocating a living wage, which is a particular form of the idea of a minimum wage.  The second site you linked to states that at minimum 14 Millions workers would be affected by raising the minimum wage and that the minimum wage is an important tool in combatting poverty. And those are my two largest points, living wage legislation is needed to guarantee that people can support a family in non-poverty conditions on a single worker's full time wages. I'm not terribly interested in anything past that.

Cicero, The Republic
Indeed they can be by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 06:00:34 PM EST
which is when I have arguments like this, I wish I still had access to a college library. They get all of the good research stuff. Not to mention all of the professors to bug uring their open door time.

Now, I never said that I found anything which stated inflation, due to minimum wage increases, was not a concern. The numbers from the second link would seem to suggest that due to current inflation there would be little to no impact of an increase in minimum wage. Which is all well and good for that argument.

It does raise my curiosity to if it could not be handled in some other manner. If the point is to increase the buying power of the lower/lowest income workers and through that lowering the poverty income line could this not also be accomplished through some sort of deflationary action?

In practice by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:04:36 PM EST
This is always the claim, but in practice, minimum wage laws are not at all correlated with inflation. The last time the national minimum wage was boosted, it was followed by a long period of low inflation and low unemployment. At best, the inflationary effect is so small as to be unimportant.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Karl Rove's head on a pike by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 11:06:33 AM EST
Well, Rummy's already been told to hit the road, so maybe that's not impossible either.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

don't see gore running by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 12:09:44 PM EST
but how about this ticket: Barrak Obama and Colin Powell. Did I post this before? Anyway I think that would be pretty good. Of course that would never happen.

Nah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:05:51 PM EST
Obama doesn't have the experience and Powell destroyed his chances when he sat up there in the UN claiming Iraq had WMDs.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Actually by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:31:23 PM EST
NPR had the Obama discussion last week (he's doing a book tour and as such was being interviewed) and the general consensus was that his lack of experience helps him more than it hurts him because he doesn't have a long voting record for the opposition to tear apart. "Obama voted to legalise molesting children 7 times!!" etc etc.

Plus, GWB had less experience and he somehow ended up as President.

Regarding Powell, I don't think he ever had Presidential aspirations, if you believe the grapevine anyways.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

hmm by martingale (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:57:25 PM EST
Plus, GWB had less experience and he somehow ended up as President.
That doesn't sound like a good reason to vote for another unknown quantity. Mind you, I tend to prefer The Devil You Don't Know versus The Devil You Know.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Obama by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:10:12 PM EST
Bush had about the same government experience as Obama has now...

I'm tired of people with no experience.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I'm not promoting the idea by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:34:34 PM EST
I'm factually stating that lack of experience won't prevent you from getting elected.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I agree with you on Powell by lm (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 03:04:04 PM EST
A Powell/Obama ticket would have been huge if Powell hadn't committed political sepuku by lending his gravitas to the Bush '43 administration's drive to invade Iraq.

Cicero, The Republic
2008 by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 03:05:59 AM EST
Just so long as John Kerry stays away.  The man needs to learn to take a nap before making a speech.

---------------
If Kerry runs again by lm (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 03:25:47 AM EST
I'm gonna have to take the Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker off my car.

Cicero, The Republic
I went with Moveon.org by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 06:00:28 AM EST
"Defend America
Defeat Bush"

So I'm good until we don't have a Bush running.  With Jeb out of office in Florida I think I'll get to keep that sticker through 2008.

---------------