Print Story on asking husi
By clock (Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 08:17:49 AM EST) ask husi, homemade music, stuff you might like (all tags)
well, i finished it.

i completed my collection of 10 songs.  it's all acoustic guitar tunes that aren't far removed from my mfc entries.  in fact, both of my mfc entries found their way into the collection in new forms.  the catch?  i'd kinda like to sell this thing.

i'm envisioning making 128k mp3s of selected tracks available for download and then selling CDs/digital copies in high-rez mp3, m4a and ogg.  hell, i could even rig up something where the digital copies were instantly available and the CDs would be mailed out after the transaction.  i dunno, i'm up in the air here.

so i guess the dumb question of the day is:  do you think you'd fall for it?  have you ever bought music like this?  is it worth my time or is going through the rigamarole of getting my stuff on the itunes store really the only way to turn a buck in this crazy wired world?

i know i've bought music like this before.  and hell, i bought johnny's books so there must be something to it.

your thoughts?

< "The weekend comes, My cycle hums ..." | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on asking husi | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Love to, thanks. by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 08:24:32 AM EST
Largely on the strength of your MFC entries. Which would net you, what, 50 copies or so. I doubt I'd be likely to find you in the hugness that is iTunes (I never went looking for MNS there, for example). Perhaps some up-talking in the right kinds of places would help (uh.. what would those be?).

Also, coooool. :-)

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Oh, and... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 08:27:49 AM EST
as to the have you ever bought something like this before question, yeah. I bought Fluffy Porcupine, and a couple of Bone Dance CDs (at a live appearance, but hey).

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

I would buy it. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 08:30:32 AM EST
And I'd pay at least $7.50 for it.  And I haven't even listened to it yet (disclaimer: I have access, I just haven't had time).

But I've really loved everything you've let us hear in the past, so yeah.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

Well, of course... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 10:32:41 AM EST
I would buy it...

But, I think you should try and get motty's views on the mechanics of selling music, I think he's tried it a time or two.

Further, the value of putting it on somewhere like iTunes is the potential to sell it to more people.

Being part of an existing payment and delivery structure can mean more sales. By contrast, your webpage + paypal = sales to teh husi crowd + whoever else reads your blog.

Another thought is how (and who to) would you want to sell future endeavours to. If you have Big PlansTM then it may worth going through the rigmarole on iTunes (or wherever) with this album as a test run for future works.

motty has views on the mechanics of selling music? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 10:56:03 AM EST
Interesting.

I steal my jazz by debacle (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 10:39:45 AM EST
And then I buy what I like.

I can't imagine I'm the only one that does this.

I will never pay for an mp3, however. I think that might just be me.

maybe by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 02:00:45 PM EST
if it was in flac.

Blizzard of Death '06
that can be done. by clock (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 03:55:58 AM EST
i speak all formats.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

even by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 01:06:48 PM EST
mod and s3m?

Blizzard of Death '06
difficult... by clock (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 03:37:50 PM EST
...to cram my particular recordings into those formats in this case.  but i do have works that have .mod and i've played with s3m.

keep 'em coming.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I would purchase by me0w (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 02:48:52 PM EST
I took some of your songs from your site and play them at the student massage therapy clinic. The clients really like it, and some of the RMTs have enquired about the music (so they can play it at their private clinics).

everything on my site... by clock (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 04:01:49 AM EST
...is released under a creative commons license that would allow them to do whatever they like with it non-commercially.  in other words, i don't think that playing it while they do their work is making money from my music (it isn't like no one would come in for a massage if they didn't have my dulcet tones in the background).  but making a CD called "tunes to massage people by" and selling it would be uncool.

that said, the recordings that are out there are of "sketch quality."  my final product is a little cleaner and i feel a lot better about it.  i'll have CDs and stuff soon.  i kinda balk at the idea of getting people on husi to pay, but i'm not gonna turn away money.  i'm a big believer in paying for what i like, so why should i stop someone else, right?

at the end of the day, i'm just happy to know that someone out there is listening and enjoying.  it's no fun to make music that no one else hears (most of the time).

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

CDs by me0w (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 05:08:04 PM EST
Let me know when you have the CDs ready. I know a few people who would be interested in purchasing one.

Ask a friend to make a lovely by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 04:27:47 PM EST
cover for your album. I'm big on album cover art.

I could help you with this

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

do tell... by clock (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 03:55:19 AM EST
...i believe you could acquire my email address if you felt like telling me more about this...might be cool...collaborations can be good.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Shouldn't I go through your by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 02:43:02 PM EST
new boss?

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
as you wish... by clock (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 03:36:16 PM EST
...she's pretty mellow about that stuff.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin