Print Story Remember, remember the Xth of November
New camera pictures, little content, now with 100% less to do with graphical novels made into movies or failed bomb plots.

And possibly a note on biking.

So I bought a new camera prior to the weekend. It is a decent camera, fair bit of control without giving me too much control with which I can screw up the picture. The price was also a plus.

So to test it out we went here. A really nice short hike along the ocean and corresponding spit of land. I was surprised at the barrenness of the point. We didn't see any seals though, which was only slightly disappointed as rumours of their maw stench abound. Quite windy and fairly cold, not quite at metric zero, but close enough.

As promised some pictures.

These deer were just sitting there as we wandered along the path, we were able to get quite close before the sauntered off. Not long after this we saw a porcupine, but it waddled into the brush before I could get the camera out.

I think this is a neat picture, I like the colours in it. The wife however states an "utter lack of subject".

As the cooler temperatures move in here, I was searching for a way to keep my toes from freezing on my commute. My summer biking shoes have really nice mesh on the front to allow for cooling. However, this is quite undesirable in the current local climate. I purchased a pair of exustar winter biking shoes and have used them a few times thus far. They work quite well, not quite as warm as I would like, but a sturdy pair of wool socks rectify the problem. They are also water tight, which is especially nice, since my route tends to be very slushy most days.

My converted single speed is working amazingly well so far and I am also converted myself. I am considering buying a surly 1x1 or karate monkey frame and building a proper single speed from scratch.

< WFC4 post-mortem | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Remember, remember the Xth of November | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That second picture by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 07:09:39 AM EST
would make a fantastic jigsaw puzzle.
Once you get used to the idea that everything is equally true, decisions get much easier. -- johnny
Puzzle by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 07:36:49 AM EST
I'd get 3 pieces in and give up because it is too hard.
--------------

Chiefhoser
SS by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 07:16:35 AM EST
I like my IRO.
IRO by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 07:39:15 AM EST
They look to be fairly good. The frame geometry seems nice.

I have also been considering the Kona single speed frames (unit and the sutra, too lazy to find a link). Instead of the horizontal rear axle mount, they have a secondary hanger attached to the frame with two bolts. The axle is still in the same position as a more traditional frame, but provides a stronger mounting position for the wheel (in terms of front to back) and lessens the chance of slippage within the axle mount.
--------------

Chiefhoser

takeup hanger by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 08:14:01 AM EST
I'm not a fan of those takeup hanger things. One of the main reason I have a SS is so I don't have to deal with snow, salt, and sand in the winter and that looks to me like it would be a mess. I'd go for the real, horizontal FIX/SS dropouts. I've never had an axel slip.

I have the IRO Rob Roy which has room for wider tires and fender. The Mark V is really a courier's bike. It only accepts narrow tires and no fenders.

Snow and ice by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 08:24:33 AM EST
Its the same reason I started with a SS as well. I haven't seen the kona frame (or like design) up close yet, but it doesn't seem like it would be any greater of a problem than any other part of the bike.

I've been trying to find a decent aluminum SS frame because of the massive salt loads dropped on the roads here, but most seem to be cro-mo. I need a bike that is painted with a teflon derived paint. Or some kind of spray that I can reapply (without decreasing the strength of the welds).

The surly 1x1 and karate monkey both allow for narrower and wider style wheels, so for me that is a plus, as I would like have two sets of wheels for the SS.
--------------

Chiefhoser

Have you always been a biker by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 10:04:03 AM EST
and I just didn't notice, or is this a new development? and since when do you ride a ss?

whenI first got mybike shoesit was the winter, and it kindasucked. then irealied that if i wear two pairs of (cotton) socks, its remarkably warm, even with theshoes being designed for ventilation.

butthen, i guess you've already discovered thatwhat with your wool socks and all.

Vive le Montréal libre.

also, by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 10:05:00 AM EST
fuck the utter lack of subject.that picture is great.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Thanks! by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 10:10:04 AM EST
I've been biking for awhile. Mostly occasion single track and some road. Getting more into long distance road lately, mostly due to my current bike ownership (ie. I dont have a good mountain bike frame and can't afford one).

But in terms of bike commuting farther than 1km I just started 1.5-2 years ago. And I built my single speed in July and have been riding it daily since mid-Aug and plan on riding it ad infinitum.

To me a nice SS compared to a geared bike is like the Mona Lisa compared to a stick drawing that I did on a napkin while drunk at a bar.
--------------

Chiefhoser

You know.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 01:27:42 AM EST
I just saw the Mona Lisa two days ago. It wasn't that great. It's crowded, in a room full of tourists gawking because it's the Mona Lisa, not because they love it. On the wall in the room that houses it, there's a beautiful, huge 10mx10m or so oil painting that goes completely ignored. I don't think a single other tourist in the room even noticed it when I was there.

Hrm. I should probably write a diary instead of a comment..

Vive le Montréal libre.