Print Story PROTIP: Don't rely your data on MicroNet Raid arrays.
Technology
By blixco (Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 11:39:32 AM EST) MicroNet, Platinum RAID, SUCKS (all tags)
Budget hardware is a Bad Idea for small companies.

Wanna know why?  Here: it's saturday, 3:41pm, I've been here for 6 hours trying to solve this problem:

No RAID defined.

What happened to our terabyte of data?

Our test data and windows shares?

The stuff that was too big to migrate to iSCSI, but I was going to do that today anyway?

Why, it's all gone!  The Micronet Platinum RAID box (an external box with 5 IDE drives, a RAID controller, and no other purpose in life) reports no RAID container.  It claims the disks are new!  Blank!  No data! Yet somewhere there is over a terabyte's worth of raid5!  But what's there now?!?!?!?

Nothing!

1.2 terabytes of....NOTHING!

RAID5 = NOTHING!

Neat!

Event log reports scsi parity errors out the wazoo beforehand.  Then poof.  My job this weekend was: carry that data to our new server, then copy to the iSCSI array.  It takes 4+ days to copy this data (and apply NTFS permissions).  But I had a plan.

Of course, that plan requires.....DATA!

So, I'm into the whiskmey!  My coworker had a 1.75l bottle of bushnmills, so I'm drinking that, trying to get my "No Tape Device Available" tape fdrive up and running, so that I can restore a failed full backup from 11/2 onto a brandy-new set of disks.

On Monday, I will retire when we reveal that we have ;lost X data, X being the most iomportant shit in the world.

ITD (In This Diary): drunken blixco, data restores, commentary all in real time!

< Shopping | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
PROTIP: Don't rely your data on MicroNet Raid arrays. | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Why would you trust anything by Pasofol (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 11:51:26 AM EST
that beings with micro, and especially for backups.

I would offer to help you get drunk but I fear you are too far, so maybe another time.

Good luck with the data recovery.

Hesus Kerist... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 12:45:41 PM EST
Good luck.

Zombie! Oh! My! Fucking! God! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 12:46:40 PM EST
I cry with you because I've been there before.

Oh, and poll should be multi-select. Just sayin'

I like software raid better by thunderbee (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 12:51:51 PM EST
You have a chance to get it back by tweaking stuff, or moving the disks to another box. With hardware raid, you gotta trust the board.

As trust goes, I have two one-terabyte arrays, rsynced for backup purposes. Never trusted a storage system :)

Hope you'll be able to get something back. I know the situation: the one day I wanted to upgrade a system, I switch to the backup server (single big ide disk), erase the primary system (ibm scsi raid5), and wham the ide drive dies while I'm installing the primary. I was lucky to be able to retrieve most important data on the disk (thank you dd with noerror option).

So, I'm right there with you. Hope you can get something back.

Dude! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 02:24:04 PM EST
You shoulda bought a Dell!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Dear god. by grendel (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 02:26:16 PM EST
I feel your pain, my man. Viable backup solutions are becoming a challenge. Ready storage is cheap and fast nowadays. But making the user understand that they need a backup, preferably rotated so at least 3 if not 6, they always balk at the cost.

Restore commence! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 02:48:14 PM EST
We4 pronbably losta day or so., maybe.

I so oroiallky tpolst my job.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

Blessed are the pessimists... by ana (4.00 / 2) #8 Sat Nov 04, 2006 at 04:10:55 PM EST
...for they shall have made backups.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

And tested them, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 08:14:04 AM EST
which we never did.

I will be unemployed soon, and for very, very good reason.
---------------------------------

So I sent you a resume for nothing? by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 11:17:24 AM EST
Dude. Really. I'm so sorry. This is the time when living with technology really dosen't look any better that living in a cave and eating bugs.

The shark by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 06:07:27 AM EST
The client uses an IBM shark to do back ups of the production environment.  Last year it was determined that the back ups and the live data were on the same unit.  It became apparent when a software upgrade to the shark caused it to crash.  We were down for 24 hours.

---------------
CBLTECH.COM by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 06:13:11 AM EST
CBL can rescue damned near everything, and unlike OnTrack, don't charge you for a diagnosis and estimate. They also do rapid response. If this data's that important, CBL is your answer.

No, I don't work for them nor do I receive any benefit from promoting them. They're that good that I do refer people to them.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Excellent tip. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 08:15:11 AM EST
I wonder how much $$?  I will contact them asap.
---------------------------------
A lot by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 08:48:11 AM EST
But not as much as most. A single 60G drive can run $500-1000; I expect a RAID problem as you've described it to cost considerably more, but if this data is really important, the recovery will be worth it. You can FedEx the drives to them and they'll do the analysis immediately.

While you're waiting, build a real RAID and restore the data so that people can work. If this is database stuff be sure to do file-level DIFFs so that you can resych the recovered data with anything new since the back-up point.

CBL's tagline is "No data, no charge." They live up to it. They also want your moneyand have the clean rooms necessary to earn it. Good luck.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Oh man by debacle (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 10:53:18 AM EST
And to think, you could have been a movie star.

I could have, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 12:42:45 PM EST
and may be soon, since I'll never work in IT in this town again.
---------------------------------
The pessimist is never disappointed at being wrong by debacle (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun Nov 05, 2006 at 02:26:04 PM EST
While the optimist is never happy.

Thought I'd drop in. by eann (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 02:53:48 AM EST
So what's there to do in downtown Austin on a monday evening that involves much food but not much money?

I plan to find myself at loose ends in about 9 hours.

-------------
I'm not trolling here...just trying to earn my badge in the PC Police Force. —tps12
$email =~ s/0/o/;

Good question. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 03:20:03 AM EST
There's all of 6th street and surrounding, though MOnday will be slow.  There's the usual theater / movies / museums.

Normally there'd be me, but I'm not sure I get to leave here until the crisis involving our data is over.
---------------------------------

Goddamn. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 04:53:10 PM EST
Apologies for the curt answer.  I'm so neck deep right now, I can barely see.  I'm home, but only for a few hours.

Losing all the data a company uses to be a company is a huge pain in the ass.

Anyhow, I'm sorry.  I really wish I could be somewhere, anywhere, doing something fun.
---------------------------------

No worries. by eann (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 05:42:04 PM EST

I'm here on a short trip, on short notice.  You've clearly got the sort of emergency going on that rates far above random intartube friends with a couple of hours and a couple of dollars to kill.

We found a place on 6th (that was kinda the backup plan anyway; the conference is at the Hilton on 5th).

Supper tomorrow is a big maybe; there are folks I should go schmooze with, but I'm not sure I want to hang out with them all afternoon.  But whatever I do I have to be back for a big event at 8:00.  Net access is random and sporadic during the day; I shall gmail you my phone number, so if you find yourself open for a while tomorrow, give me a ring.

-------------
$email =~ s/0/o/;

Cool. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Nov 06, 2006 at 05:49:49 PM EST
I'll definitely call you if I get away from here.
---------------------------------
SNAFU by eann (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 06:10:59 PM EST

And, of course, my cell battery died in the middle of the day, and the spare was in my hotel room a mile away. It's okay; I needed to do the schmoozing. Shopping for dissertation committee and all that.  You know.

Oh well.  Maybe next time.

Time for me to disappear from HuSi again.

-------------
$email =~ s/0/o/;

Sorry we missed by blixco (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 07:55:45 PM EST
one another.

I'm copying data from one set of locations to another right now.  This whole data failure biz is the suck.
---------------------------------