Print Story A technically good 4 days weekend
Boredom
By georgeha (Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 07:23:39 AM EST) polearms, Windows 98, 40 acres and a mule, 40 rod lightning (all tags)
that left me just as tired as stressed as before t-day,

Plus, cable with 4 channels!, it's global warming and 2 stroke madness, fog, going out, new mobiles, hypersocialization, Dr. Who, Avengers, Brown Shugga, School Daze, dewiring and less.

Poll: Favorite Thanksgiving tradition?

I have been too socialized, hypersocialized even. And I have to be social tonight, why can't someone leave me alone with my books, computers and games?

Thursday of course was Thanksgiving, where we give thanks we live in a God Fearing violent nation, instead of some libertine European nanny state where the pleasures of the flesh are easier to come by than guns. We went to my sister and partner's in Buffalo, with the usual assortment of alternative types, the only thing really missing was green bean casserole with Durkee's fried onions on top. debacle was supposed to bring it, but he stiffed us, again. Mrs. Ha had clinicals the next day, so we couldn't spend the night. We ended up hitting the dewpoint driving through the swamps, the fog was very thick, and I had a hard time explaining why fog happens to ten year old (my thermodynamics is rusty).

As a kid, we went into the dark hills of northwest PA for Thanksgiving, as my parent's hometown is there. They had cable TV in the 70's, probably even earlier, since reception is terrible with all the hills. But, they only had about 4 channels, one of which was a camera pointed at a clock, and sometimes a blackboard. When the best thing to do on a Thanksgiving morning was watch the Macy's parade on black and white TV, you know you were bored.

Friday we had plans to go out and see some jambands, including a high school friend, so after I dropped the kids off at my parents and tried to network my dads 98 laptop with no cdrom drive (yeah, tricky), I had a few precious hours to myself (since Mrs. Ha was still sticking people with needles). I folded laundry, WOOOT.

The laundry folding was actually nice, as I was able to catch up on some BBC shows I've seen mentioned here. One was an Avengers with Diana Riggs, Dead Man's Treasure, nice for the classic sportscars, but a severe lack of sword cane action. The other was the first Doctor starring Billie Piper, who I find to be quite scrumptious.

Later we went out, and had to park in a parking garage a few blocks from the club (the St Paul area is much more gentrified than it was 20 years ago), missed my friends band by 20 minutes, and chatted with co-workers and old friends, though not very much as I didn't feel like yelling over the PA. Considering I had one beer, and couldn't dance, I had a nice time. I did sway from side to side slowly and creakily.

Saturday was a gorgeous day, unseasonably warm and sunny. Irish_girl and her kids stopped by for a while. Mrs. Ha and Irish_girl went to a dance class, so I told the girls to call me if tan emergency happened and went outside. I started celebrating our global warming induced weather by starting the snowthrower, nothing like a choking cloud of 2 stroke fumes to make you feel like a part of nature. Next up was gutter cleaning on the garage, raking and depooping the yard, planting grass seed on half the vegetable garden and pruning a few limbs off the overhanding maple tree. Our backyard is almost always shaded by the maple tree and garage, maybe this fall I'll be able to hack back enough limbs to get grass growing back there.

Saturday afternoon I tried a bottle of Lagunitas Brown Shugga.
It was good, with a malty taste and a pleasantly bitter hoppy aftertaste. I did catch a mild buzz from it, and when I checked the label, I saw it was 9.9% alcohol. Whoa. Many thanks!

We watched about half of Spike Lee's School Daze, but just didn't get into it. I liked Crooklyn and Jungle Fever better.

Sunday was a mercifully quiet day, Mrs. Ha and I walked to the alternative section of town and had a nice lunch outside. I was able to change all five windshield wiper blades, they all have easy to change bayonet fixtures.

Five years ago I was frantically running cable and cat5 through our old house to our bedroom in preparation for spending a weekend in bed, with frozen peas nestled in my groin. Now that I have WiFi, and will be getting Dish in the bedroom, I no longer need wires threatening to decapitate me in my closet, and tackying up the bathroom. So, I took them all down. I still need to plug up the hivehole, and call the Dish company to finish their install.

I'm getting a new mobile, Tracfone had a deal where it was cheaper to buy a new phone with 120 minutes than add 30 minutes to my ancient one. I hate losing the 30 minutes I have on it, OTOH, I might enjoy a phone with a more than 3 hours standby time. Mrs. Ha will be getting a new one too, she's about outgrown Tracfone, a regular service might be cheaper.

Tonight is ten year old's Exposition, on Suffrage and Abolitionism. I should psyche myself up to be social with all the other parents.

< There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A technically good 4 days weekend | 36 comments (36 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Overly socialized by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 07:32:11 AM EST
I get that too.  Kids and wife and family.  I can't remember the last time I felt I could slip off to the X-Box.

---------------
You need to train your family better by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 08:45:24 AM EST
I've spend ~60 hours over the past several weeks playing FFXII - the best part is my son sitting next to me, providing a running color commentary. Occasionally, between the two of us we get full blown MST3k action going.

Best part so far: arguing whether the monster that just killed me was properly called a "poodile" or a "crocadoodle".

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

Mainly it's the wife by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 03:01:48 AM EST
That and the ten year old hasn't figured out that she has better hand-eye coordination than I do, and can smoke me at any shooter game once she figures it out.  Once that happens I'll have a video game pal.

---------------
Heh. I could tell you stories. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 03:25:23 AM EST
There aren't many contexts where I'd let my son say "Dad, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?!" and let him get away with it, but since he was pretty much carrying me in the last team game we played....

frozen peas in the groin ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 08:08:38 AM EST
meaning a vasectomy, or that the job was going to be such a PITA, you'd rather get punched in the nuts than do it again ?

a snip job by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 08:14:26 AM EST
five year old was then six month old, and we decided two was enough.

WIPO: Pie. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 09:04:34 AM EST
Apple pie. Pumpkin pie. Pecan pie.

What kind of furiner are you, to forget the pie!?!

What's wrong with burnt sweet potato pie? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 09:07:11 AM EST

I wouldn't know. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 01:42:01 AM EST
I've never had any.

In the Troll extended family, "sweet potatos" are merely what happens when your potatos fall in the kool aid.

It's like pumpkin pie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 01:43:22 AM EST
but spicier and more interesting.

Ah. Well then. That explains it. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 01:51:56 AM EST
I'll have to get some potatos and kool aid and try making some.

Does this recipe sound right?

It's fancier than mine, but looks delicious by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:13:17 AM EST
I use canned milk instead of yogurt, and no pecans.

I'll have to take a crack at it. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:37:52 AM EST
I don't think I'm up for making tons of cookies this year, so a couple of pies might do the trick instead.

(Comment Deleted) by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:37:53 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ObviousTroll

who's a commie? by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 10:10:17 AM EST
what kinda weirdo eats apple pie at thanksgiving? apples should go into apple sauce, apple cider, hell even apple crisp any time post september.

Not just that by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 10:34:42 AM EST
but the heathens that put cheese on their apple pie should be put away in camps, I tell you.

that's just sick by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 12:38:50 PM EST
i'm going to have to pretend i didn't read that.

I'm sick of your intolerance by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 01:38:29 PM EST
of lactose.

apple pie by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 10:35:25 AM EST
is the closest thing we get to normal food at my family's thanksgiving dinner.

this year:

* turkey mole
 * pork loin, pounded and rolled, stuffed with chorizo and a spicy bread stuffing, doused with a chipotle-red-wine sauce
 * spicy corn succotash
 * potatoes au gratin
 * sweet potatoes, sliced and baked, covered in raisins, nuts, and christmas cookie spices
 * green bean / cheese casserole

* pumpkin cheesecake
 * lemon tart covered in strawberries
 * spice cake
 * apple pie

Whoa. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 01:44:31 AM EST
I'm comin' to your house next year.

Except I'm not too sure about turkey moles. I mean, I thought moles were little guys. How many of them do you need to feed an extended family of 8-12 people?

my uncle by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:45:50 AM EST
Oh, piff. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 01:38:43 AM EST
Thanksgiving is the perfect time for apple pie. You northerners with your strange weather just don't know it.

Now, peach pie - that's a summer-only treat.

I saw this Magazine by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 10:29:04 AM EST

And I thought of you.

Mmmm. Women with curves.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Dayumm, I miss her show by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 10:41:44 AM EST
it rarely gets played anymore. Umm, Nigella.

sending the Puritans to the colonies by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 11:16:48 AM EST
Oh, sure. Sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

But what are you going to do when those Puritans decide it's time to spread Peace, Love, and Democracy across the world at the point of a bayonet?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I think you infect them with the gh3y. [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 06:32:18 PM EST

I tried to join in, I really did. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 02:14:30 PM EST
I went to the Asian family across the road and told them I was to stupid to fend for myself and I'd sailed to the edge of the known world with no idea where the next meal was coming from, and here I was, ready to give them smallpox and everything if they'd just stuff me with turkey, grits and pumpkin, but they said I'd got the wrong type of Indian. Well, who knew?

Did you offer them iron knives and beads and glass by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:29:53 AM EST
baubles?

Will do next year. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:41:26 AM EST
Can I just give them an IKEA catalogue instead? It's just down the road.

Also, where shall I get the smallpox from? I know the last case of it was local to me, but apparently they've destroyed their stocks since then.

remind me to never eat peas in the Ha Household. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 03:12:47 PM EST
Cable TV was inveted in PA.  What a great state.

Blizzard of Death '06
You know by debacle (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Nov 28, 2006 at 06:31:06 PM EST
There's about four pounds of green bean casserole in my mother's fridge at this very moment.

There were a lot of accidents Friday morning because of that fog. I'm surprized it wasn't on the news. I couldn't even see Canada.

Why are you grassing over the veggie garden?

You need to name your children. Up until now I didn't get the connection between nine year old and ten year old.

Unless it meets to our stereotypes about Buffalo by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 01:33:23 AM EST
you know, snow, the Bills, or the local governments not buying toilet paper, we don't hear it.

I don't have time for a proper veggie garden, so half of it is getting grassed.

Strangely by debacle (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:10:22 AM EST
We almost never hear about you guys, either. I'd never thought of that before - we hear more about Toronto than we go Rochester.

Other than the occasional serial killer by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 03:12:45 AM EST
Rochester is pretty boring.

you have stereotypes about buffalo? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #36 Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:47:50 AM EST
Billie Piper by MrPlough (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Nov 29, 2006 at 02:27:04 AM EST