Print Story 150024, 5100, 96/50
Cars
By georgeha (Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 07:23:49 AM EST) Dubeouf, Toyota, blood sucking, emulsion (all tags)
a diary of numbers.

Plus, missing the Goat, what do they teach kids these days, Beaujolais Noveau 2006, a Steichen, JP Winman!, content at the geek, socialization and less.

Poll: What are you bringing to Thanksgiving?

The girls have off all this week, and Mrs. Ha is drawing blood at the outpatient lab this week, so my parents are covering. As I was driving them to my parents, the Tercel rolled over to 150,000 miles, we all had a minor celebration, though five year old thought we were going to be driving 150,000 miles! I hope to get another 3-4 years out of it, maybe 200,000 miles is a possibility.

The weather was crappy this morning, snowing/sleeting with the temperature around freezing, which just highlighted how pathetic the Tercel is as a Rochester winter car, especially compared to the Goat. The heater/defroster just doesn't have the juice to keep all my windows clear.

We're going to spend $5100 on medical expenses in 2007, as that's the most I can redirect to my pretax fund. $400 a month, not including what gets deducted from my salary. Jeepers! Lest you think that's high, meds and therapy will probably run $200 a month, and meeting my deductable will cost $1400. But at least we don't have socialized medicine, where you have to sit in a drafty unheated waiting room until a politically appointed flunky gives you aspirin or an enema.

In other health news, my blood pressure is a groovy 96/50. I don't think you can get much lower and be alive.

Can you believe they don't teach about Wikipedia in the schools? I sent ten year old there for a episode list of Avatar the Last Airbender, and she was enthralled. Now she's spending her time at Club Penguin playing flash games of some sort.

Saturday was busy, with the usual swimming in the morning, delivering a few cases of Girl Scout cookies in the afternoon, and seeing some friends for dinner in the evening. We ended up drinking two bottles of their 2006 Beaujolais, it was quite tasty (I had about two and a half glasses over three hours). They even had a few clips of Grisman playing at the girl's school.

Sunday while JP Winman was throwing up some good numbers for a win over the Houston notOilers, we were at the George Eastman browsing the pictures, as $corp sponsored a week of free admission. I saw my first Steichen, a zoologist with a porcupine. I have to be careful not to get caught up in the technique and miss the artistry. The Pete Turner exhibit was very colorful and nice, and the Louise  Brooks exhibit was marred by some animals being exhibited, but I do want to rent Pandora's Box, or her other early movies.

I added a review for the ATS Infantry Basic Game at boardgamegeek. I spent a fair amount of time there looking up fun games to play with a 10 and 5 year old, I have a few contenders.

We'll be going to Buffalo for Thanksgiving, and probably spending the night. I'll be bringing sweet potato pie, probably beer, and maybe cookies. What will you bring to Thanksgiving?

< flippancy | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
150024, 5100, 96/50 | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by barooo (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 08:32:08 AM EST
gravy.

I'm hoping to wage an insurgent gravy-making campaign since teh future inlaws know nothing of this strange "gravy" I speak of (they basically just take the turkey broth and whisk in a slurry of flour & water and call it a day so it's like eating vaguely turkey-flavoured library paste).  But also pumpkin pie.  I do make a mean pumpkin pie, and when the stars are aligned I can even make a mean crust (I haven't done it enough to knock it out by muscle memory, and sometimes it ends up too dry and crumbly and doesn't fucking roll out.  I use all butter, which doesn't give it much tolerance for poor execution, either).

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I use a pastry brisee shell for my pie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 08:54:51 AM EST
mostly confectioner's sugar, flour and butter, the butter is cut into the flour/sugar mixture to beach sand consistency, it gets chilled, and then pressed into the pie plate. No rolling going on there.

Hmmm by barooo (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 05:23:58 AM EST

I might have to try that out.

The crust I made for this pumpkin pie was the best I've ever made, and also the easiest.  I went back to basics, and consulted The Professional Chef and just did a 3-2-1 dough with AP flour, cultured butter, and ice water, cutting the butter into 1/4 stick strips (lengthwise) then slicing as thinly as possible, a quick rub between my fingertips into the flour & salt, a 20 min chill, then rolled it out using a technique from  America's Test Kitchen.  Basically, you use a tapered rolling pin, but you move the pin like the hand of a clock, radially from about 2 o'clock to about 5 o'clock (hold your left hand stationary in the center, use your right hand to pull the pin towards you in a sweeping arc) then rotate the dough pi/2 radians and repeat until it's about 2/3 of the final size, then reflour and flip it over and roll normally until it's correct.  The radial rolling keeps the shape nice and round and aviods split edges.

Honestly, I think my problem is that I never get the dough wet enough.  I remember everyone saying "use as little water as possible" and I'm using less water than is possible.  And I chilled for more than 20 minutes usually, then didn't warm the dough up for a bit before rolling so it was very hard to work with.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
will you by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Nov 26, 2006 at 02:49:23 PM EST
marry me?

Blizzard of Death '06
Mileage by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 08:34:31 AM EST
I'm such a dork that I celebrated when my Honda rolled past 166,666.6 miles.

I put less than 4,000 miles a year on it, so I doubt I'll make it to 200k.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

how do you manage that? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 10:06:59 AM EST
managing that by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 11:15:00 AM EST
It's the second car...when driving with family, we take my wife's Camry. The Honda is mainly used for commuting 1.5 miles to the BART station plus any trips sans family (usually only errands on busy weekends.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Someone uninteresting by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 01:05:42 PM EST
asked me how computer scientists talk to each other this weekend, and I mentioned how miffed I'd just been to notice I'd missed 131072 miles.

He found that unsatisfying and mercifully dropped the subject.

200,000 miles is a possibility. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 08:37:41 AM EST
Certainly, if you've been doing the recommended maintenance. I routinely get 250k (Real Miles, not kilometres) or more out of a car.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Road salt is the biggest worry by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 08:43:01 AM EST
but so far the Tercel seems to be holding it's own.

I'm at 107k with the Civic by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 08:48:40 AM EST
I'm stunned by its durability. I treat it so terribly (I won't mention my typical oil change interval) and it just keeps purring along.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

how long have you had yours? by R343L (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 05:52:11 PM EST
I guess you don't put as many miles on since you actually use transit. I've put on 55,000+ in 2.5 years. Yuck. But then I've had some looong commutes at times. It's not going to be so great in a few years being outside reasonable public transit...

Rachael

5.5 years by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 08:35:26 AM EST
I put huge miles on it in Boston, my round trip commute was 84 miles for two years. Out here I'll probably put 10k miles on it per year.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I'll hit by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 09:24:47 AM EST
2500 miles this afternoon in my Saturn, which is 4.5 years old now. There's a price-point in insurance around here if you drive 5k/year or less, which I don't, quite.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

nice mileage by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 09:48:16 AM EST
both ye old waggone and the 95 corolla are over 200k miles.. Quite an accomplishment, Mr. Ha.

Most of them aren't mine by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 09:53:59 AM EST
I got it at 142k, but it's still good to see it running.

There goes the neighbo(u)rhood by debacle (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 11:17:14 AM EST
$5100 on medical expenses sounds like a drastically obscene amount of money. What the farking hell, mate.

Also, pumpkin rolls.

And no, I didn't make them.

My meds are about $40 a month by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 11:23:58 AM EST
Mrs. Ha's $70, and ten year old's $30. Let's call it $1600.

Our deductable is $1400, I got to rack up $1400 out of pocket before I get to copays.

We're up to $3000 for 2007, before dental, copays, blood tests, therapy, glasses and OTC meds.

Therapy should run about $1500.

Health care is expensive.

WIPO: stirfry or something by R343L (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 07:37:17 PM EST
We decided against making anything fancy or traditional. There's only four of use. One can't (won't?) eat gluten or meat.

Rachael

Dietary wackos by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Nov 22, 2006 at 07:11:59 AM EST
I'll probably eat some turkey tomorrow, but I'll try to load up on greens and bright veggies, in hopes of reducing my arthritis.

veggies are good by R343L (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Nov 22, 2006 at 07:47:45 AM EST
Turns out you can eat like a bazillion of them and not get fat (hadn't heard the arthritis bit). Very good way to eat as much as you want without guilt. Of course, this is all predicated on one liking the taste of many veggies...

Rachael

milage by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 04:24:46 AM EST
last month i hit 100k on the Golf (5 years old).  It needs little work done (lube, glow plug fixed), but it's still truckin'!

150024, 5100, 96/50 | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback