Print Story All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..
Travel
By Driusan (Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:41:29 AM EST) (all tags)
I now have some Euros. Tonight I fly to France if they'll let me on the plane. Whee!

The vague entirely boring plan so far, for anyone who needs to know or is otherwise interested (all times local.)

Catch a 21:20 flight to Paris tonight. Arrive at 12:30. Find hostel to stay at. Sleep off any jet lag. Wake up, drink wine, see the catacombs, pantheon, and explore the city for a week.

Catch 12:20 flight to London on Nov 10. Arrive at 12:30. Take train downtown. Wander around for a bit before going to find Breaker's apartment. Attend LHuSi drinks which hopefully someone will take charge of organizing for that weekend because I don't expect to have too much intarwebs access until I get there. Also, don't know the city.

Nov 14, at ungodly o'clock in the morning: get cab to airport. Catch flight to Basel. Arrive at some time that I have written down somewhere which is still unreasonably early (10, maybe?). Wander around for a while. Perhaps find Euler's house if it's not too far out of the way. Catch train to Zurich some time in the mid-late afternoon. Meet komet there. Inquire about stuff to do until..

Some time after the 20th: catch train to M√ľnchen to find BadDoggie. Use that as a base to explore more of Germany.

Some time after that: train it to Amsterdam. Find a nice little cafe. Give liver a break while punishing lungs. Get to know the city well, because I might be able to crash $CousinsTravelCompany's Post-Christmas party there in January or February.

Some time after that, probably around the beginning of December: take a train back to Paris. Fly to Toronto from there. Look into where the current state-of-the-art is for cybernetic liver transplants.

Bye Trana! I'll miss you guys! See you in a month! If I don't come back, avenge my death! Et cetera!

< Is it beer night? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Have a great trip! by ana (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:48:53 AM EST
And also good travels. ;-)

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Don't try to order me around! by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:53:34 AM EST
I don't have to do what you tell me!

No, wait, I mean: thanks.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Other Random Addenda by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 10:18:23 AM EST
I watched The Crow on Monday, because it was devil's night. It was every bit as good as last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and..

I went to Rocky Horror on Tuesday with some friends from school, because it was Halloween. It was better than last year's Halloween show. One member of the stage cast managed to very barely keep her breasts in her shirt (they made a valiant effort to escape). Another failed at keeping his penis inside his thong while doing the can-can. The chick who played Rocky was fairly hot.

It read Breakfast of Champions. It was good. I've got Foucault's Pendulum and White Noise (the novel about the professor of Hitler studies in small-town America, not the recent movie) for the plane. I expect to enjoy the latter but not the former.

I bought a copy of Alice's Adventures Underground at a used bookstore for $3.50CDN. I've read Wonderland (which was quite good) and Looking Glass (which was not), so I don't expect any surprises, but it should be interesting none the less. I'll probably save it for my Paris->London flight.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Foucalt's Pendulum was an okay read by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 10:23:58 AM EST
I do't know if I can read it a second time, but it was worth going through once.

Couldn't you find a copy of Gravity's Rainbow, it works well with London and Germany.

My copy of Gravity's Rainbow by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 10:28:09 AM EST
is about 1.5m in front of me.

I don't know if I can read it a second time, but it was worth going through once. I definitely wouldn't be able to concentrate enough on it on a plane, though.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Lhusi drinks by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 10:18:34 AM EST
Since we're talking about Londoners here, I'd put the odds at 1 in 4.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Hey, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Nov 03, 2006 at 06:49:28 AM EST
at least be grateful you're not under Breaker's patio.

Especially as I'm rather flatulent today.

I actually mean, I really would have liked to meet you, and I'm sorry I didn't. On the plus side, at least it means you don't think I'm a boorish idiot as do [redacted long list of people]

Also, it's too late for me to get cheap train tickets now. Bummer.

have a fantastic time by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 10:56:20 AM EST
and come home with many a good story.
If you don't know London... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 11:12:28 AM EST
...then just start at Trafalgar Square, walk to Parliament, walk to Buckingham Palace and keep walking in a random direction until you get tired then go to a tube station and go home.

Seriously.

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Um yeah... by komet (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 11:32:35 AM EST
[...] crash $CousinsTravelCompany's Post-Christmas party there in January or February. [...]
Some time after that, probably around the beginning of December: take a train back to Paris [...]
(emphasis mine)

That would be December 2007 then? Or do you have time travel technology in Canada, and if so, can you take some with you for me?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

i suspect by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 02:17:41 PM EST
he's planning to fly home and then fly back in january. but that might be just me.
So, by Herring (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 12:37:41 PM EST
the plan is beers on Friday 10th at an unspecified location.

I recommend the Porter and Sorter next to East Croydon Station. I can make it there.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Tip for Amsterdam by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 10:22:37 PM EST
Indonesian food. Mmm. Rijstafel...