Print Story Fun challenges for lazy people.
Internet
By ambrosen (Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 05:28:56 AM EST) Fun Challenges, Wikipedia, dorkiness (all tags)
Dear Husites,

We all share each other's company in different ways on this website, and as part of the fun and games, we share in creative tasks together.

This is good fun for all involved, but it requires skills, discipline and confidence to submit your creative efforts for review. (I have lost my a capella version of In The Army Now that I did for the Status Quo MFC, but otherwise I have contributed nothing).

I hereby suggest a simple, easy to enter, do it at your PC participatory fun challenge:

The Wikipedia Dorkiness Fun Challenge

Now, you are asking yourself how you enter the WDFC. And the rules are inside.

Simply donate a bit of your time to trawling through Wikipedia, or use your memory, and find the dorkiest, most obscure, most overdetailed page you can. You know: the page describing the varying hairstyles of a 1970s TV host; the page describing the places Dr Who sets have been reused; the category of inappropriate uses of 1337speak in the popular media; und so weiter.

Whatever it is, post a link to it here in a comment, with a kind hearted but critical overview of why you think it's just a little too detailed, and then wait for other people's reactions.

For scoring, we will use the Iasson style, so simply mark a few, but not all of the entries with a 4 to vote for them. Voting will occur from the time of posting, and at 17:00 GMT tomorrow, I will select the winner, and to make it actually worthwhile of being a competition, as a prize I will add one paragraph of at least a hundred words to the winning page, which shall give additional information.

I hope that the winner feels like posting another internet scavenger hunt/barrel-based fish-shoot next week, in which we may all participate.

< Ask Husi: Law on "murder" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Fun challenges for lazy people. | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My entry: by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 05:40:48 AM EST
A longstanding personal favourite most overdetailed Wikipedia page:

There are all sorts of things that appeal here, but my favourite is the amount of time and effort that has gone into literary and graphic design on a subject that is primarily aimed at young children who can barely read and need no sophisticated metaphysics of invented worlds.

However, this has it all: etymology, topographic and diagrammatic maps, history, and fulsome linking to all possible knowledge you'd want to have about Rev W Awdry's railway series, something I remember with fondness from my youth when the stopmotion TV series was barely started, something that one set of my nephews is/was mildly obsessed with, but that is frowned upon by another brother and his wife because of the poor work-life balance exhibitted by the engines, mainly due to their quasi-slavery under the Fat Controller.

I'm inclined to agree with the latter sentiment, but I look at the description and work that's gone into the documentation of this world on Wikipedia with a sense of awe, and a feeling of the rigid 1950s world in which this is grounded and a realisation of how much things have changed.

Also, writing this, I realise how easy it would have been for me to graduate in Media Studies. This kind of drivel flows out of my fingers fast enough that I don't have to wait to think what the next word is.

I see what this is by debacle (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 06:30:51 AM EST
You're tailoring a FC around prior art so that you can claim a win, instead of continuing to fail it elsewhere.

I, for one, salute your deck-stacking FC, and I eagerly anticipate you being owned like a bitch.

Sir, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 06:48:13 AM EST
I am happy to be 0wned in this way as long as mild entertainment is made available to everyone in its cause.

The kudos available through a win is much lower than even one microblixco, so I fail to see why there should be any problem with this humble form of diversion.

Right-on by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 07:28:05 AM EST
beat this for dorkiness!.

Do I really need to explain?

Cicero, The Republic
Of course not by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 07:43:23 AM EST
Life's nothing without a little self mocking.

And you know what else? by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 08:08:21 AM EST
You're voting system means that we can't vote for our own entry except by voting against everyone else's. Consequently everyone who wants to win has an incentive to rate all the other entries at 0.

Cicero, The Republic
Oh man, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 08:11:01 AM EST
you're tearing apart 20 whole minutes of personal work on my behalf, and for what? Probably for the sheer bloodymindedness of it.

I was actually merely going to count votes by the number of 4s voted per entry, so there's absolutely no way to vote for your own entry. Unless you're the devious type of person who has more than one HuSi account. And we all know you're above suspicion.

That reminds me by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 09:32:27 AM EST
I've got another entry right here

Cicero, The Republic
Oh noes! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 10:10:50 AM EST
Now you've got me all confused and going round in a circle! What shall I do?

I followed that link 5 times by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 01:58:38 AM EST
Before I actually understood what was going on. God I'm thick sometimes.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

OK I'll play by TPD (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 07:35:38 AM EST

the technology section is a particularly fun read, but it's all good

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Excellent. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 07:50:36 AM EST
The "scare quotes" are particularly appreciated.

I came across this a few weeks ago: by thenick (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 11:26:38 AM EST
List of very special episodes

I'm stunned that someone took the time to categorize the ham-fisted attempts by sitcom writers to tackle serious issues. However, I fully admit to scanning the list and noting which ones I remember. I've seen pretty much every episode listed for Saved by the Bell and I remember watching the CPR Punky Brewster episode and thinking "Who plays hide and seek in a refrigerator?"

Another interesting trend was the number of shows that did episodes about AIDS or HIV where the point of exposure or suspected point of exposure was not sexual intercourse. If TV is to be believed, HIV infections through blood transfusions were the primary source of transmission of the disease in the '80s.

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

they didnt list anything by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 12:50:21 PM EST
from hill street blues, and only two things from st. elsewhere.

means they did a piss-poor job.

Hill Street Blues wasn't a sitcom by thenick (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 04:05:24 PM EST
That's what makes an episode very special. It deviates from the usual lighthearted capers of the main characters and forces them to deal with real life issues.

But the list isn't complete. One omission is the episode of Saved By The Bell where Slater discovers his Chicano heritage. He pulls away from his circle of friends, but in the end he realizes that in doing so he has become racist and that his real friends were waiting for him back at The Max.

And then the word "Chicano" was never uttered on the show during the remainder of the show's run. Or on Saved By The Bell: The College Years. Sitcoms can get away with massive continuity errors like that, while dramas don't have the ability to force life changing events on their characters only to have them disregard any consequences by the beginning of the next episode.

----------------------------

I am sorry but by Herring (4.00 / 4) #14 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 12:51:11 PM EST
it will take something special to sepose this as my favourite.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Very interesting. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 01:19:04 PM EST
I already made a minor edit to that one.

Gets my vote [nt] by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 01:59:33 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

This topic came up in the office today by Greener (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 03:25:58 PM EST
OH YEAH!!!!

Chocobo by stark (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 11:47:55 PM EST
I had never heard of a Chocobo before, but thanks to Wikipedia I now know more than I ever wanted to about a fictional bird in a series of videogames.

A sample paragraph:

The onomatopoeia for a chocobo's call is "Kue" (クエ) in the original Japanese versions and is sometimes transliterated as "Kweh" in the English translation, or alternately replaced by "Wark."

U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
A capella In The Army Now? by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 02:00:15 AM EST
This I have to hear.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!