Print Story Soccer WTF?
Sport
By bob6 (Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03:17:17 AM EST) football (all tags)
Can somebody explain how this is possible?

Poll -------->
< Skipping fast right around the moon | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Soccer WTF? | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I claim no FOOTBALL expertise by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03:36:51 AM EST
But I believe that a keeper handling a passed-back ball would result in such an indirect free kick.

oh by martingale (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03:49:59 AM EST
I thought the simpler explanation is "he missed".
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Ah. Football. by motty (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 03:59:34 AM EST
Indirect free kicks are explained here, including the bit about all opposing players having to be ten yards back unless they are standing on their own goal line between the posts, as in this case.

Reasons to give indirect free kicks are given for various reasons, not all to do with goalkeeper infractions. But on the edge of the six-yard box like that, it probably was the goalkeeper.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Or possibly by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 05:07:02 AM EST
The ball was moved 10 yards closer, from a free kick outside the box.  I think dissent from the defending team would allow a 10 yard encroachment.

Gee, thanks by bob6 (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 06:23:53 AM EST
That was informative, I never bothered to actually read the laws (the ball is round, the game lasts 90mn and the rest is theory).

Cheers.
Good lord by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 05:05:09 AM EST
That's the game you Yerupeans get all worked up over??? Crikey, my mom could have kicked the ball closer to the big tubed-net thing than that guy did.

Or is the goal to try to kick the ball way over the top? I guess that would make just about as much sense.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Not really by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 05:28:54 AM EST

It's generally harder to score from those situations than it is from a free kick twenty-two yards out; Alan Shearer notwithstanding. I once saw an attacking team start arguing with the officials because they had a free kick about twenty-eight yards out; one of the defending team then got verbal with the referee so he moved the ball ten yards further up as "punishment" but actually made it less easy to score. Unlike rugby / US Football, getting closer to the goal line isn't the point of the game and can make the job trickier.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
After the war, a lot of things by debacle (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 06:05:29 AM EST
Were exported to the far east, both cultural and technical.

I don't see it as any surprize that a bunch of yellow short people enjoy a game for pussies and Europeans.

Geez, that's a racist comment.

Soccer WTF? | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback