Print Story ZOMFG - Aussie fans racist!
Sport
By creo (Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 04:40:49 PM EST) thin skinned whining poms, politically correct fu**wits, cricket (all tags)
Apparently calling a professional sportsman a "stupid Indian" is racist

Anglo specific sport commentary within.

To cut to the chase, the quote was:
"Give us a wave, Monty. You can't speak English you stupid Indian, I'll have to say it in Indian.

"What are you doing playing in the English side? You're not English."

Now maybe I'm an old school redneck, but that seems pretty tame to me. It's just Pommy whining, and politically correct wordplay. Where's the racism? He is of Indian descent, and well, if calling someone stupid is racist, then we are all racist.

Are the Barmy Army going to cut back on the "convict" sledging and the "Hey Warney, where's your wife?" songs? I for one, hope not. It's crowd banter like this that makes the day interesting.

Here is an example of racial abuse: "Hey Monty, you couldn't turn a light on, let alone spin a ball - why don't you piss off back to India you useless black jungle bunny bastard". Even that is pretty mild to some of the stuff I heard as a kid at the test cricket.

If Monty (and the rest of those Pommy gay bar loiterers) have thin enough skin to be bothered being called "stupid", then good. Australia will kick the crap out of anyone who does not have the mental toughness to take a bit of harmless crowd needling.

Other Stuff
New management at work, it's like a new job. Family is well.

< Continuum | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ZOMFG - Aussie fans racist! | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You can't speak English you stupid sandgroper by cam (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 05:07:46 PM EST
nt

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

RASCIST! (n/t) by creo (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 05:25:59 PM EST

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

I hate to say it by Phage (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 12:01:39 AM EST
OMG! - Poms take offence at Aus sledging. News at 11.

Tricky one by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 12:01:44 AM EST
I think this may be a clash of cultures.  When I read it, I did feel that it probably classed as racist.  However, this is probably due to changing attitudes in this country - especially in sport where racism is being aggressively targeted - resulting in things seeming shockingly racist where they wouldn't 15 years ago.

I think this contrasts nicely with Australia where (I get the impression) a lot of things fall under the "harmless banter" umbrella, whether that be about race or not.

If I'm right then the difficulty is that we have a statement that is simultaneously racist and not racist depending on what culture you're from.  I suspect that if I moved to America for some time I would end up saying something deemed inappropriate about black people (such as calling them "black" not "African Americans" or whatever).

The only logical solution is to kill all the Pakis.

You are quite correct by Phage (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 12:07:08 AM EST
Having a foot in either camp - I can confirm that this not even particularly offensive in Aus. Remember that this is a culture where to be called a bastard is often a term of endearment.

Personally, I prefer the Aus approach. Less sacred cows. (No pun intended)

For what it's worth by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 12:09:58 AM EST
I prefer it too.

*Fewer* sacred cows [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 10:47:45 AM EST

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Racist whats racist by Pasofol (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 01:49:29 AM EST
just like Poles brought(bought) in an African into their soccer team, and the fans were worried that he won't get the same food here as there so they throw banana's his way, and might have called out "here you go monkey."

I say it was a better welcome than when the German players get their crap beaten out of them.

Havinga little bit of trouble parsing this by creo (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 02:19:07 AM EST
Just so things are clear, you realise the kicking the crap comment was a metaphor?

Mind you, Im on my third bundy, so it could be that my parser is not functioning correctly...

Also, I think the example you provided pretty clearly is racist. Calling someone a stupid "insert your country here" is not racist. In my travels around the world I have been called "a stupid white fuck", "dumb gringo whore" (yes you dumb Mexicano who said that, I understand Spanish) - neither of which I felt racially offended at.

The worst racism I ever experienced was not verbal - it was in Venezuala, when I was waiting for service, being ignored, and when a local came  in he was served straight away.

Anyway, my bundy is empty  - time for #4. If I misunderstood the context of your comment - I apologise!

Cheers
Creo.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (3.50 / 2) #9 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 03:20:54 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 03:58:32 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Personally I think it was pretty clear by creo (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 07:00:24 AM EST
that the authorities considered it racist speech - particularly given the Spanish Inquisition like attitude taken by the ACB (not referred to in the link).

As to me protesting to much - well, all I care about is we ground the poms into the dirt. The poms are on our turf, and if they dont like the pressure of the local crowds then  they can just forfeit and fuck off home and have a big crying session about the horrible colonial crowds and how they don't respect them as human beings while they are counting the cash from their endorsments.

Unlike when Au where back in blighty and the barmy army where saying things like "Jolly good bowl Warney - I say old chap, good show!". Yeah, right on.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

It's pretty clearly racist . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 04:28:20 AM EST
. . . because he calls him, "a stupid Indian". Insert whatever race you want in there, if it helps you decide whether it's racist or not. If he just called him a stupid guy/player/etc, obviously not racist. No reason to put the Indian in there . . .

India has the largest English speaking population in the world, btw. And there is no "Indian" language . . . either way, his English would have probably been a sight better than the announcer's.

. . . bloody 'roo screwing Aussie bastard.

ZOMFG - Aussie fans racist! | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback