Print Story No Mosquito
By TheophileEscargot (Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 01:46:48 AM EST) Reading, Me, LHusi (all tags)
Reading: "The Family Trade", "Civilisation".

What I'm Reading
Finished The Family Trade by Charles Stross, first volume in an Amber-alike fantasy trilogy where an orphaned journalist finds out she belongs to a Family who can move between parallel universes. Weaknesses: very slow starting as the grindingly obvious discovery works itself out; and doesn't have much of an ending as it's chopped off ready for the next book.

Good points: reasonably fast-moving, and works out the details of the setup very thoroughly; with none of the usual "why don't they just..." feeling you can get from these things. I'll definitely look for the next volume.

Halfway through Civilization by Kenneth Clark, basically an adapted transcript of the legendary 1969 documentary series. "Civilisation" here means the arts of western civilization. Very good: tells a story of the evolution of the arts in a lucid, informative, entertaining way.

Wish it had some pictures though: I've been googling along with it but it's not quite the same. These days the book would be a giant glossy coffee-table slab with maybe a quarter of the words.

Me
Work still busy, though not quite as bad as last week. Have partly recovered ODGF: started exercising again, and have cut down the extra caffeine and nicotine. Still drinking more than the limit, and eating slightly more than the limit.

Feeling pretty drained and apathetic.

LHusi beers
Surprisingly got a biggish turnout considering the short notice: Breaker, Breaker's mate, motty, ambrosen, stark, Driusan, Phage, Herring. And me. Usual blathering.

Surprisingly, almost no hangover this morning, though I forgot to drink any water and had a fair amount of booze. I think maybe because I've been drinking more than usual lately my body's gotten used to it again. There's probably a lesson there somewhere.

Pointlessly greedy feature request of the day: blog view
So I've given my diary address to some real people now, and they have a lot of trouble with the intro/full copy distinction. Blogs don't do that, and it seems to scare and confuse them.

So, what would be nice is a "blog view" url of each diary, that would hold the intro and full copy in a single page.

Don't know if the server could handle that though.

< I just flew in from Seattle | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
No Mosquito | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Family Trade by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 03:27:41 AM EST

Not so much cut off ready for the next book, as originally written as the first half of a much longer book that the publisher decided to print in two volumes.

Hmmm by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 04:08:11 AM EST
I think they did that for one of the George R.R. Martin books "A Storm of Swords". Might be more common in fantasy: they seem to like lots of volumes.
Only in reprints by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 05:05:34 AM EST
If you're talking a Song of Ice & Fire they've all been available in one volume paperbacks. The third book of Memory, Thorn and Sorrow got split in two between hard and paperback, and the first few books of the Wheel of Time have been reissued as part one and part to make them more accessible for "kids"
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
A Storm of Swords by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 05:13:22 AM EST
Was chopped into two volumes over here.
I am over here by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 11:45:01 PM EST
I've got one of the crappy covers though, maybe I bought an import.
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
More common in forn parts by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 07:08:04 AM EST

C J Cherryh's "Cyteen" was two parts in the US, and Peter F Hamilton's "Nights Dawn" trilogy was 6 volumes over there. Charlie Stross seems to have done better finding US publishers than UK ones, despite being Scottish.

The splitting into "The Family Trade" and "The Hidden Family" did give rise to one oddity, there's an interrogation in TFT with characters we don't encounter anywhere else in the book...

Stross by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 08:35:45 AM EST
My God he's prolific. I just noticed that there's a sequel to Accelerando.

I liked the first to Merchant Princes books. I found the last to be a letdown, though still ok. I can't recall why.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

For the record, by Herring (4.00 / 2) #7 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 10:07:05 AM EST
yes Idid fall asleep on the train but I did wake up at the right stop. Sorry.

In the picture I took, you look very scary.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Cool by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 10:09:46 AM EST
plsemailpickthx.

snailman100@yahoo.co.uk

Gah by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 10:39:46 AM EST
Looks like my eyeballs are about to explode, Total Recall style.
In contrast to Breaker by Herring (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 10:54:00 AM EST
Who looks completely harmless. Still, the camera never lies.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Please remind me by stark (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 12:01:06 PM EST
of the names of the pieces you were recommending - I suspect that the neurons storing the information have been dissolved by the Stella Artois.
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
I'm glad you asked me that question by Herring (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Nov 12, 2006 at 04:03:21 AM EST
You wouldn't care to prompt me on the context at all?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I vaguely remember being a bit drunk by stark (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Nov 12, 2006 at 11:04:11 PM EST
and trying to play the first movement of the Sonata Pathetique on the table.

I think you were suggesting a violin piece which was worth a listen, and perhaps something for cello?

Ah by Herring (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 10:38:45 AM EST
So much stuff. One thing I do intend to record myself using 'cello & piano is this. Quite hard to keep steady on the piano for that long.

My attempts at the 1st movement of the Pathetique have been going for years. I can do the 2nd movement OK, but the 1st movement is hard work.

I'm a big fan of the Berg violin concerto. Not everyone's taste but it is powerful.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky