Print Story Long distances
By ucblockhead (Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 11:22:46 AM EST) (all tags)
Yesterday, I did a marathon.

My time was 10 hours, 15 minutes.

It was a charity hike for the Bay Area Ridge trail that a coworker suckered me into invited me to go on. Nine people started the 23-mile version a bit after 7:30 am. Three of these bailed out at the 13-mile mark. Half of the remainder (including my coworker and I) elected to do the extra three mile add-on extension. We arrived back at our cars a bit before six.

My left foot has a couple huge blisters on the front pad and another covering most of the bottom of the big toe. Last night I could barely move, but today I'm in fairly decent shape other than my blister covered foot.

The weather was essentially perfect. Blue skys the whole day, with a nice ocean breeze. (We'd been concerned as it had been rainy all week.) The views were also good, but honestly, by mile ten I spent most of the time looking at my feet.

This morning was frustrating, as I attempted to put together the work bench I ordered from Amazon. What a mistake that was. It was an utter piece of crap. Work benches should not wobble. Now I have to figure out how to return the fucking thing.
Last week was a sucky week. It's not fun trying to put together a working demo for an application that does networking when your network goes down as often as k5.
< "Mt. Takao Moonrise Over Tokyo" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Long distances | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 11:29:35 AM EST
Cool.

I can almost walk 20 miles.  Almost.

I hope to be back on my bicycle bvy the end of the year.

So when you read the news from austin, big fat white guy found dead of stroke next to nice aluminum bike, you'll know it was me.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Great! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 05:00:28 PM EST
The back's treating you well, I take it...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yep. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 09, 2006 at 04:12:31 AM EST
I have my days, some pain and etc, but that's to be expected.  Lots of scar tissue back there.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
scar tissue by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Oct 09, 2006 at 06:18:44 AM EST
Something to scare the grandkids with.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
wrt the bench: did you call tech support? by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 11:38:57 AM EST
Good job on the hike. That takes effort.

Cicero, The Republic
Nah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 12:05:51 PM EST
Sadly, this wasn't one of those "hard to put together" things.

Increasingly, I prefer things like walking 26 miles to putting together cheap, crap workbenches, because in the former case, the effort results in having actually done it, while in the latter case, I wasted an hour, and now have to waste more time repackaging it and attempting to return it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

26 miles? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 01:47:08 PM EST
You didn't bail on the last 352 yards did you?

Wumpus

Honestly by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 02:02:14 PM EST
From what I can tell, the course was measured with an accuracy of plus or minus a mile.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Way to go! by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 12:07:56 PM EST
I run the Chicago Marathon in two weeks. I'm hoping for a slightly faster time.

Advice by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #5 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 12:12:01 PM EST
If you want a faster time then mine, my advice is: run instead of walking.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Or... by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 03:09:28 PM EST
the 'Ironman shuffle' is good too.

Just barely jog while staring at your feet with a hunched over upper back.  For bonus points wear salt streaked spandex, sponges under your singlet, and have glow sticks in your hands.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I walked the Disney Marathon by a user by any other name (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 12, 2006 at 06:38:48 AM EST
in 2000.  Raised $ for Leukemia Society.  Broke my right foot.  It's never been the same.

Sounds like you got out scott-free!  Glad to hear you did the whole thing - now you can say you did one!

And in a few years, you'll consider another.  I betcha!  And perhaps I'll come visit and walk it with you!  I'm itchin'....

I wouldn't say scott-free by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Oct 12, 2006 at 07:45:40 AM EST
Today was the first day I was able to walk full-speed and I'm still getting a bit of blister pain in my left foot.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman