Print Story Seeing as no-one else is...
By Alice Pulley (Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 03:04:22 AM EST) (all tags)
I may as well.

Diary, nothing interesting though, be warned.

POLL: Is Riga worth visiting?

Health.

Doctors appointment held. Doctor made his views quite clear on various lifestyle choices and what they may/are doing to my health. Hmmm. Restricting recreationals to special occasions from now on (and nearly 2 whole weeks in doing well!). Trying again to restrict drinking to a few beers and again, nearly 2 weeks in and succeeding. Waiting for appointment for blood tests etc. Also cut finger quite badly yesterday with breadknife. Boo.

Work.

Not going too badly. Of the 2 projects I'm on, the really shit one I took over has now been acknowledged as being really shit and we are, essentially, starting again. Will have a chance to go about it properly (although the budget does not include enough BA resource to do all the process mapping/planning, which may mean I have do it. Oh dear.). The other one (unpopular software upgrade) is going very well and the trips to the continent etc have gone down well so all the moaning etc is dying off. Waiting for the wheels to fall off one of them.

Money

Am fed up being skint. However, will have recovered from flat purchase by Novembers payday (5wks). Being skint is shit, mainly because you get stuck in all the time, which for us short attention spanners, is murder.

Football

Spurs had to cheat to break out bad spell in premiership. I wasn't too happy, hate to see that shit and we've not been too bad on this front recently. Think England will do well tomorrow, Crouchinho and Roonaldo may be a very good combi.

Women

Nothing. Things petered out with young hot girl, no others on the horizon and too skint to go out and meet anyone. Bah. With each passing day, I become older and less attractive (or more ugly to be more precise). Also, sitting in when skint is much better when you have someone to watch dvd/eat pizza/touch boobies with. Oh, the burden of desperately seeking validation.

Travel

Been invited on a stag do to Riga. Have heard both good and bad things - advice???

Reading

Just started an Iain Banks sci-fi (Remember Phlebas). Not read enough to get into it but it feels...sterile so far. Maybe thats the sTyle hes looking for but I'm not really liking it.

Thats it just some brief notes to get out of my brain. Am now counting down untill 3pm when I am planning to sneak away from this place early.

< Word Up | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Seeing as no-one else is... | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden)
WIPO by komet (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 03:11:14 AM EST
Good if you're single, but remember never to trust any woman (this is not just in Riga) who says "don't worry, I'm on the pill".

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Speaking from experience??? by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 03:32:26 AM EST

nah by komet (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:01:35 AM EST
not really.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
itchy beard (nt) by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:20:05 AM EST

Definitely by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:40:37 AM EST
Speaking from experience

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Yeah, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:05:18 AM EST
that works, for example, in Manchester. Although said woman may have a remarkably painless miscarriage a month or two after telling you of a contraceptive failure.

WIPO: Why not, it's only 20 minutes away from me by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 03:59:34 AM EST
It's a small hamlet in the corner of our city. I think there's a farmer's market there.

I'll pop by for a beer then. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:21:02 AM EST

Bring some back. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:36:14 AM EST
I'd love to try stuff from Brauerei Haberberberberberber or whatever his name is.

Als,I have nothing on tap by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:46:01 AM EST
I do have some old bottles of overcarbonated ginger dark ale, though.

I once knew a lady from Riga... by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:02:10 AM EST
Etc.

Nah, go, it's a stag do.  Just remember, it's cash up front and check to make sure the door's locked from inside before you get down to anything.

So I'm told, anyway.

Why young man... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:21:49 AM EST
...I don't know what you mean.

Not having any money by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:19:30 AM EST
Is fine when other people around you haven't got any either. It's when you're alone with it that it's a problem.

My solutions - books, video games, writing, taking photos, biking about. Soda and lime or soda and blackcurrent in pubs costs next to nothing.

There's no escaping that having no money can get very boring though.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I've got more and more... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:23:50 AM EST
...funny about being on my own as I've got older. It never used to bother me, could kill time in loads of ways but am really funny about spending more than a very odd night in alone. Nice to see my manias are growing with my bald spot.

Know what you mean by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:52:00 AM EST
Because I share a flat I really, really look forward to precious nights in by myself. More than two nights in a row though and I start going mad.

I like time by myself, but my mental health seems to be better since I went into a flatshare and stopped living alone. I was that far from wandering around talking to myself surrounded by a herd of cats.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I've been alone at home this past fortnight. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:03:37 AM EST
And I've gone completely mad because of it. Not working Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday didn't help. Also, I am actually sane, just I've really really wasted my time.

I was off work Monday and Tuesday by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:12:16 AM EST
When I basically played Halo and ate cheese on toast for 48 hours. Not good.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

That actually sounds pretty cool. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:14:05 AM EST

It was good at the time by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:15:16 AM EST
But can you imagine what my dreams were like?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Military in nature. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:21:22 AM EST
When I was younger I used to try and think about being stuck in an underground bunker complex in the artic that was being overun by Zombies. Obviously I had weapons etc. The reason was, I liked to dream about it. There was also a similar thing with sharing a b-wing with princess leia but probably best not to talk about that here.

I had a load of teeth out when I was a kid by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:25:46 AM EST
And as I was going under the general aneasthetic (nitrous oxide), the dentist said "Just imagine you're Luke Skywalker flying in his spaceship" (he didn't know the proper terminology), and I was! It was so vivid and amazing. I HAVE BEEN LUKE SKYWALKER.

Unfortunately I had a bad allergic reaction and could never have notrous oxide again. Boo.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

TISG giveth... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #24 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:27:07 AM EST
...and he taketh away.

Consider Phlebas by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:24:40 AM EST
I liked it. That's about all I can say without potentially spoilering it.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
I liked it, too by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 06:16:10 AM EST
But I think that Banks has an odd fascination with things that go crash.

Further deponent sayeth not.

You say being skint's shit, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:34:24 AM EST
but I didn't see the bit where you said what's wrong with it. ;)

Riga looks lovely from the photos. I've never been anywhere near it, though.

Yeah, I worry about getting older and less attractive. When in the 18 months since you were my age did it start becoming a problem?

Football: Villa's still unbeaten and Walsall are clear at the top of the table with the highest goal difference in the League, so it's really surprisingly good.

Health: have made an appointment to see my GP about $intimateproblem after the nurse who I asked about it was a) unwilling to look b) immediately gave me a motivational speech telling me among other things to "go out and do all the things young men do" (she may just have meant 'stop looking so worried' or she may have meant 'don't try to make me look at your privates')

Work: Is actually challenging today. Mainly because I'm trying to do something more complex than what I should, but it means we'll actually have useful data to work from.

Anyway, I think that'll do for the line by line response, started with a crap attention span joke. Roll on 5:30. No chance to sneak off early here.

Cheers sir! by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:19:12 AM EST
You just cracked me up on an otherwise dull day,

I don't know, inventing imaginary ailments in order to show a nurse your penis. You really should know better. Actually, its no fun, I've had both a ultrasound on a lump (which I have to have done again soon) and the dreaded STD test which involved showing my wiener and of course both times the nurse was a woman. Not fun (sadly, there were no Robin Askwith-esque goings on either).

Fie to you and your football smugness.

And roll on 4pm here, balls to staying later than that, balls.

Oh, for a bit of boredom! by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:46:47 AM EST
Hours worked between Monday & Thursday: 70.

Wanna swap? I'd happily take some boredom.

boredom by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 06:54:40 AM EST
Is a renewable but not transferable resource.

As one of the Husi'ites . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #27 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 05:56:17 AM EST
. . . who has spent quite some time in Riga, I would give it a two thumbs up. Awesome eastern european nightlife that goes as long as you can, really beautiful old city, and although I am sure it's more expensive than when I was there last, still pretty cheap. Food's good (lots of meat, potatoes, and sauces), beer's great, people are . . . hit and miss. You have to get used to less smiling, btw.

Be sure to get the popular Georgian dish disguised as a local specialty - "shashlika". Sorta like a kabob. Don't miss out on going up to the top of St. Peter's Church (in Latvian, "Sv. Peter Baznica") for the great panoramic view of the city. My favourite club, "Pulkvedis", is still going strong with more modern alternative music and popular hits. At the end of a long night, visit the 24 hour joint The Black Cat ("Melnais Kakis") for more drinks and great food.

Have fun, and good luck!

no fair dude, by garlic (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 01:01:02 PM EST
you're actually latvian.

Way fair . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 01:18:06 PM EST
. . . I'm Canadian born (like littlestar), just Latvian via heritage really. I just happened to work for the relatives there for a while . . .

Get used to less smiling? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #32 Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 04:11:08 PM EST
You don't know what people are like in the peripheral towns of Britain's large cities. The only people with any joi-de-vivre have their smiles hidden in a hijab.

We talkin' . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #33 Sat Oct 07, 2006 at 07:25:20 AM EST
. . .. about the same city? Riga, Latvia?

No, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #34 Sat Oct 07, 2006 at 12:09:20 PM EST
I was talking about the amount of smiling I see on the streets in my everyday life, in a town fairly similar to AP's.

Seeing as no-one else is... | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden)