Print Story Blowing hot and cold
By R Mutt (Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 01:15:02 AM EST) MLP (all tags)

Amnesty International urged not to campaign for abortion rights [:( X.]

High-g circular accelerator space launcher proposal. Does anyone seriously think this isn't a weapon?

Key:
[NSFW] = Not Safe For Work
[NSFWFUP] = Not Safe For Work For Ultra-Prudish
[(UK)] = UK-centric
[LL] = Late or repeated link

< I miss Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Blowing hot and cold | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I don't think it's a weapon by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 01:28:58 AM EST
Right now, it costs about $10,000 USD to put a pound in orbit. The circular mass driver can probably bring that down to $100 a pound. Supplying the ISS and putting mass up into space will become much cheaper.

But by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 01:49:26 AM EST
They say it can't be pinpoint accurate because of atmospheric conditions, and it's only launching around 10kg.

Are they really going to bombard the ISS with 10kg packages with variable speed and position? Even with some kind of thrusters on the packages, that sounds risky. Or are they going to drop kinetic-energy weapons or mini-nukes on targets around the world?

Isn't the refire rate on the order of hours? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 01:55:45 AM EST
There are much, much quicker ways to drop 10kg on a target at on the other side of the world, and with missiles it can be done simultaneously.

As a weapon, it would rank up there with the Paris Gun, as a way to put mass in orbit, it would be great.

Not sure on the rate by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 02:25:05 AM EST
It says they could be accelerated over a period of hours, but you may well be able to have more than one item on the ring at once.

As a weapon, I don't think it's just a question of delivering a few kilograms, but delivering a few kilograms with a tremendous amount of kinetic energy at a speed too fast to be intercepted.

It's not CERN by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:33:44 AM EST
a 10 kg package moving at Mach 10 being overtaken by a 10 kg package moving at Mach 20 in a small tunnel is not a good thing.

Unless they build duplicate rings and a complex switching assembly, I can't see them accelerating more than one package at a time.

Well, they could load in batches by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 07:11:26 AM EST
Accelerate each the same, so that they rotate as a kind of virtual wheel.

First rule of defense development: by komet (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 02:23:16 AM EST
If your machine can launch 100kg packages with pinpoint accuracy, tell everyone it maxes out at 10kg and is all over the place.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
bombs by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 04:40:21 AM EST
can have multiple targetting systems. balistic arc to get it in the right ball park, and adjustable fins and GPS to hit the right location

indeed, just like jdams by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 11:49:30 AM EST
still supposed to use "dumb" ballistics for targeting and only use las/gps for terminal guidance.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Easy peasy by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 05:51:21 AM EST

Pints to the winner
Once you get used to the idea that everything is equally true, decisions get much easier. -- johnny

Ghetto 180 (nt) by ajf (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:15:17 PM EST
Moon is a Harsh Mistress by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 07:05:32 AM EST
At least when Heinlein wrote about these, he had the good sense to put them on the moon, where drag isn't an issue.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Just how much drag by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:16:22 AM EST
does a 10kg package have at 8kps anyway? Not only that, but the thing gets shot out at at 30 degrees, slowing down twice as much. Even if you build the thing in Leadville, CO, that is going to hurt.

Wumpus

Redwatch by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 02:44:46 AM EST
More to the point, why aren't the left DOS attacking it? Never been able to get my head round that.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Because by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #8 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:10:35 AM EST

those who are technically able-to are probably involved with open source in one way or another and are aware that they would make the agitators' point for them in a convenient display, like that placid muslim chappy with Peter John Reid last week. Those who are free to do so and wish-to simply aren't able. That leaves the script kiddies - 'like they've ever given a shit about the left or politics in general.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Agree with CSS being inefficient and repetitive by cam (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:01:41 AM EST
same as if you want to mimic a style but just change the text or colour. But then it would lose it simplicity, but I am not certain css is that simple anyway. If it gets variables and inheritence and all the other goodness developers expect it will become as fun to use as javascript.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Never mind inheritance by motty (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:36:27 AM EST
Variables.

I don't need macros, inheritance, objects or anything overly complex, not really. It's the repitition of things that is the central nail-on-head point there. This is basic.

I just want to be able to say, once - these are my fonts, these are my named widths and heights, this is my colour scheme, and have it cascade through my css, so I can maintain it without having to tear my hair out. And try out different things easily. And blah blah blah.

Actually, using cpp to preprocess it offline, as one commenter there suggested, is a damn good idea and I might just start doing that. It's all sitting there right now on my machine and is a Makefile away from being my new way of maintaining css files. I feel stupid for not already doing it like that, to be honest.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Feh by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 04:37:10 AM EST
Surely this is, finally, the one thing PHP would actually do well?

e.g.
<?
   $width  = "150;
   $height = "five million cows";
?>
#cuntychops {
   width: <?  $width; ?>
   height: <?
$height; ?>
}

#yourmum{
   width: <?= %width ?>
}

I don't think the above is that bad. Then again, I am a pervert.

Problem by motty (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 06:14:32 AM EST
Requires PHP.

Do you have a spare bargepole?

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

damn by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 03:29:25 AM EST
Y'all limeys turning out all sorts of terrists.

That dyson by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 04:42:32 AM EST

actually looks pretty cool.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
To me by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 07:43:39 AM EST
It looked like the next in a proud line of British products sold to Muslim theocracies.

"And then, Mr Convicted thief, just put your hand like so in the AirBlade.  Painless, I assure you..."

Blowing hot and cold | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback