Print Story on filthy water
By clock (Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:30:41 AM EST) (all tags)
the weekend wasn't at all what we'd hoped.

it's amazing how one small item can totally trash an otherwise potentially productive weekend.  on saturday, we set about trying something a little on the anal retentive side: preparing a month's worth of meals in advance.  the idea is that we save money by combining ingredients/minimizing waste and time by preparing everything so that all we need to do is heat and serve with a side salad or something.  it controls portions and all of the meals are designed by a nutritionist so it could even be healthier.  sounds great, right?  well it might be!  i'll let you know how that goes.

however.

we started semi-early saturday and were busting our butts to get everything done so that stacky could go to a pampered chef party and i could get into my studio and finish some things.  her departure time arrived and there were still about four recipes to go.  no big deal.  i could handle that.  she did her thing and i kept on truckin' so to speak.

in the end, i had everything in the freezer and one helluva mess to clean.  i put away the various ingredients and set about doing the dishes.  while i was washing away, i noticed some water on the floor by the utility room.

"hmm," i thought aloud.  "i'm sloppy, but not that sloppy."

water was coming out of the drain for the washing machine every time i hit the disposal.  not.  cool.

i finished putting away the kitchen and started troubleshooting.  this was a monster clog.  a look at the clock had me further behind than i'd wanted to be, so i quickly showered and headed out to get some chemical warfare, aka liquid plumbr.  80 oz of that grand stuff later, the water in the sink was gone and everything seemed cool.

i got into my studio at about 3:00-ish.  by 5:30 i was starving and had accomplished very little.  a quick call to the wife-phone showed that she was planning to call me and ask if we wanted to dine with her college buddy and said buddy's sister who planned the party.  i was disapointed with my progress, but so damned hungry that i couldn't see going forward.  i agreed and met them for a nice dinner.

home, wine, BSG from itunes, bath, bed, ...hi mom!..., sleep.

the next morning, we got up and had some waffles.  they were pretty damned good.  upon cleaning up, i noticed more water.  things were not fixed.

the rest of the day was spent swearing, tearing things down, plunging, tearing more things down, more swearing, mowing the lawn, and finally dumping sulfuric acid down the pipes and watching things bubble and not move.

so passed sunday.  but i did watch a bit of harvey birdman volume 2!  not a total loss, right?

tonight, i will flush it out and see what's what.  if it doesn't work, i'll snake some more and then concede to a professional.  the only really stressful part is the time sink.  my beloved bride is less than pleased with this and coupled with some other stress, it has her out of sorts.  i reassert the notion that it will all be fine.  it's just plumbing.

also of note, nanowrimo!  i'm in.  who else is writing this round?  i'm stoked...i even have an idea!

< Aw yeah! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on filthy water | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I hope it's not a collapsed main drain by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:37:08 AM EST
ours was $3k to replace.

i kinda doubt it... by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:40:57 AM EST
...i've been through something like that.  this is just a nasty clog where the utility room and kitchen sink meet.  cheap-ass house with an underpaid plumber is to blame i'm afraid.

as long as i have flow before i go to bed tonight, it's all good.  if not, i fear for the sanity of my dear stacky.

i'm a patient man...it'll be fine.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I'll be doing my best to write my most.. by haplopeart (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:41:02 AM EST
...for two years now I have failed it...I MUST not Fail it this year.

get a writing buddy! by clock (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:42:54 AM EST
or make yourself update the nanowrimo user page.  my userid there is jcwjcw so you can add me as a friend or whatever.

i'm hellbent on winning this year.  i blew it last round and don't want to suck again.

rock on!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

been there, done that. by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:42:14 AM EST
re: nano... yay! i'm still prevaricating.

re: plumbing... same damn thing happened to us, just prior to thanksgiving one year. turned out the tree had been sampling our effluent, and needed a serious rooting out. Hm. should probably call them about getting that done again.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

uh... by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:45:35 AM EST
s/prevaricate/hesitate

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

i was gonna say... by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:48:07 AM EST
...but yeah...we need to get the husi crowd stoked about the nano!  i just love this time of year!  2000 words a day or bust!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

thought you were looking for ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:51:32 AM EST
"vacillating."

Tree roots drinking your drainage is so appropriate ... why did that never happen to Max, since her house is fictionally your house?

Do not misuse.

excellent question. by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:56:02 AM EST
must write such a scene.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

When you do write it, by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 11:34:09 AM EST
make sure she gives me a call. I miss trying to get her to switch teamsflirting with her.

Dear greyrat... by ana (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 11:36:51 AM EST
We got lotsa grey water on the floor; you'd feel right at home.

chrs,
Max

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Feh. You tease! by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 11:39:23 AM EST

my house is only 5 years old by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 11:11:12 AM EST
and no trees anywhere in that area.

no, this is far more sinister - the laundry room drain and the kitchen drain meet to connect to the main drain - i fear something is clogged at the meeting point.

of course, maybe the sulfuric acid has eaten all the pipes by now, so water's all over the house.  *shrug*

Yup, sounds like what we went through. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:42:22 AM EST
Our main drain out of the house was fuxx0red. Cracked, in fact, since it was an ancient cast iron job. We found it right before Thanksgiving and, thankfully (heh), we had joined this Gold Club or whatever with the plumber, so he came out and patched it to get us through the weekend.

So they replaced the pipe like a week later, and the damn thing still wouldn't drain, so the plumber - great guy that he is - called a roto-rooter guy. Seems that tree roots had grown through the pipes almost at the road. It took several hours and several buckets of incredible smelly tree roots before we could, y'know wash dishes or shower or wash clothes without the basement flooding.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

hoping... by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:47:02 AM EST
...it's not that bad.  again, my guess is a muther of a clog that needs my special attention.  i will do my sacrifice and see where that gets me.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Do you have a plumber's snake? by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:53:18 AM EST
I was looking on with envy at the roto-rooter-guy's tools. Kind of like an electric drill that sent the snake in and pulled it back out. It still had a tough time, but man was that cool.
-----
i have a snake... by clock (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 09:56:31 AM EST
...but not the power auger type.  mine does it's thing without any electricity, which is good given the pvc pipe i'm dealing with.  power augers tend to F up pvc when used by a novice (me).

but i did wail on it with the snake for about an hour and a half yesterday.

that didn't sound quite right, so i'll stop.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

fortunately by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 11:12:31 AM EST
everything else is draining just fine, the kitchen and laundry room are the only problems.

A month is a long time. by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 10:21:16 AM EST
Maybe start with two weeks ahead?
Once you get used to the idea that everything is equally true, decisions get much easier. -- johnny
Sorry to hear about your plumbing by debacle (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 10:49:36 AM EST
I intend to write a NaNo, just like last year.

Just like last year.

While I don't have time to write a NaNo... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 12:28:10 PM EST
I'm happy to read yours, ana's, clock's, and whoever else's. I'd be interested to see whatever-it-is you keep threateningpromising to write.
-----
Eh by debacle (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 01:22:54 PM EST
I can start stories just fine. I hit about page ten and I fall apart. That's about what, 7-8k words?

I only wish I could hit 50k.

Get somebody to read it by ana (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Oct 31, 2006 at 03:05:24 PM EST
every day. Somebody who'll be disappointed if you drop out.

I have more advice for the nano-er here.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

HAHAHAHAAAA!!!! Sounds like our house! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 11:30:38 AM EST
msrat is banned from her nightly soak because the tub drain leaks. Fortunately, she smells lovely at all times -- well -- and we have a shower that does work. But just last night we found a NEW puddle in the basement. Three feet from the old one!

Le Sigh.

yes by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 12:25:44 PM EST
I have the plumber coming over tomorrow at 8:30 in the morning.  On my birthday no less.  Hes coming to fix the toilet as well as look into why my tub and basin are so damned slow.  I take a 10 minute shower and the water is up to my ankles.  I brush my teeth at night and there is still a bit of water in  basin in the morning.

Yes I am writing this year again.  An idea.  If I was so lucky.

Blizzard of Death '06

nano by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Oct 31, 2006 at 02:07:35 AM EST
I'm in. I must be fucking nuts as I'm a brtual edit-downer rather than pad-outer.

Hmph. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Nov 01, 2006 at 05:06:53 PM EST
NaNo was started by bachelors.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

that may be... by clock (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 03:47:24 AM EST
...but it's finished by winners!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin