Print Story It's Superdad and Wonder Ten
Drugs
By georgeha (Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 07:55:57 AM EST) fascism, eugenics, meeting men at the YMCA, smells like fish (all tags)
in a Surprisingly Productive Day.

Plus, the War on Drugs affects me and I don't like it, busy weekend, an opportunity rectified, one week to go, and less!

Poll: What fish shall I buy at the fishmongers?

The girls go to a charter school, and it's doing very well, better than any other city school, and as well as some of the spiffier suburban ones.

It's not all due to my genes, either. I think it's mostly that there is a good core of very dedicated parents, and the remainder of the parents all give a shit. It's not easy to get into this school, as you have to attend meetings and fill out forms, so you end up with parents that care a little about their kids education, which I've read makes a lot of the difference. Plus, they can refuse to accept special needs kids, and can throw out kids who don't meet conduct standards. It's a shame the city schools don't have that latter option, sending the dont-wanna-be-educated to special work camps would to a lot to make the city schools better.

Our charter school is affilated with a national group, and this week a series of seminars was held at our school, probably because they're doing so well. The important thing is that Tuesday the kids had off, so I stayed home with the girls.

Gosh, it was an amazingly productive day, it exceeded my expectations. I was able to change the ceiling fixture (with the circuit turned off, good thing, as this one had screw them in terminals instead of bared leads), fix the storm door (mother in law leaned on it, I reckon, bending it out of true) and sleep in and all that good stuff. Ten year old amazed me though, she wants money to buy Fish Tycoon, and ended up doing 5 loads of laundry, from start to folding, which really, really helped us out as household chores have taken a backseat to Mrs. Ha's studies ( one week of class to go!). Later she even took a few pictures of me posing in front of my bike. She has a good eye with a camera. I did give her $5 for th e laundry, since it was above and beyond.

Later that day I watched preschool mom's kids for a few hours, and I kept them busy with Lego, and it was in exchange for watching ours on Thursday, so that saved $20. I may need that $20, since the pen of Damocles is likely to write on Monday.

But that's not all, in the evening we worked on five year old's apprentice project, and she and ten year old made chocolate chip cookies. I moved the sheets in and out of the oven, and did the dishes, but that was the extent of it.

Gosh the War on Drugs is pissing me off, I'm having the hardest time finding Sudafed Non-Drying Gelcaps. Thankfully the freeze is nearly here, to help me with my allergies. I really think meth would be a self limiting problem if users could come forward, admit to being addicted, and were sent off to work camps with free meth, all they could want, until their hearts went. Oh yeah, a juvenile deliguent tweaker camp, with fifty foot high barbed wire fences. And I could buy my Gelcaps again.

This weekend will be busy, Mrs. Ha has to work a Halloween party on Saturday, and then Irish girl's oldest daughter is having a party on Sunday, plus the usual swimming and chores, and finishing up the girls' costumes.

Dedicated readers (aka the Legion of the Bored) may recall me lamenting my arthritis crippled personality at the school picnic last June, where I couldn't get the energy to be friendly to the guy who rode his H-D to it. I made up for that last night, he was at the Y for his daughter's swim class (while his son, ten year old's classmate) played in the gym with the girls and Mrs. Ha took kickboxing. We talked abit, mostly about bikes.

Like I mentioned, Mrs. Ha has one week of class after today, then 40 hours of lab work before she can be a blood sucker. She's doing great, she might have the second highest grade average in the class.

We're thinking of fish for dinner, maybe a typical Lenten fish fry. What fish should I buy?

< She said knowingly | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's Superdad and Wonder Ten | 41 comments (41 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
tuna? by garlic (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:17:04 AM EST
the first voter apparently doesn't know what they're doing. you don't fry tuna!

there's a lot of eating-deprived people by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:25:42 AM EST
on this site, I tell you. But a grilled tuna steak would be good.

How else do you do a tuna melt? by cam (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:06:20 AM EST
Which is a pretty good American invention btw.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

tuna melt by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #37 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:07:22 PM EST
The bread is toasted, the cheese melts, the fish doesn't cook much.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
i don't know what lenten fish fry means by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:12:10 AM EST
i took it as a euphimism, not expecting that anybody would be so foolish as to actually eat any sort of fried food.

heathen by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:23:07 AM EST
go enjoy your boiled falafel balls.

oh i'll have fish tonight alright by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:17:31 AM EST
i think i'm gonna make lindze's masterpiece again.

how else do you have by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:20:39 AM EST
chicken-fried tuna?

with red eye gravy, over biscuits? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:24:05 AM EST
and some hush puppies on the side?

noooo by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:29:49 AM EST
Jalapino gravy with mashed potatoes and steamed seasonal veggies on the side.

chicken-fried tuna? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #38 Sat Oct 28, 2006 at 03:44:24 AM EST
You trying to give clock a heart attack?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Gosh, George by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:28:07 AM EST
you seem to be a big fan of sending various groups and folks off to camps. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt you ;)

tags, do you read them! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:33:41 AM EST
I just want my Gelcaps, and property value.

Sudafed by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:58:46 AM EST
Before I went through the ordeal of allergy shots, I would eat Sudafed like candy all summer long.

Fortunately, I finished the shots before the gov't started tattooing serial numbers into the arms of people who buy Sudafed.

Rock the Perch! by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:38:07 AM EST
My fish brother!

Gedvondur
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

Give me convenience or give me death by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:56:34 AM EST
That meth law sticks in my craw because not only is it utterly misguided but it makes it incredibly inconvenient for law abiding citizens to get the drugs that they need. It's almost as bad as requiring a doctor's prescription for low grade anti-biotics on the convenience scale.

I fully support hard labor rather than prison time. Just imagine how great the US interstate system could be with chain gangs working on them all the year long. As we could asign those convicted of particularly heinous crimes (such as child molestation) to such fun filled duties as asbestos removal and the cleanup of superfund sites.

I'm pretty certain that even on the Roman Catholic calendar Lent doesn't start again until next spring. But if you're going to fry fish, go with whatever's presently fresh and wild up by your neck of the woods rather than whatever's frozen or farmed.

I'm jealous of Ms. Ha. I'd love to be able to run around poking people with sharp objects all day long and get paid for it.

Our preferred pharmacy has even stopped by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:01:46 AM EST
carrying the Gelcaps, I can get the little red ones, after showing state sponsored ID, etc. I would have to stop by a different store during pharmacy hours to check, which is a pain.

Local fresh and wild fish can be squeezed and the juices used for photoprocessing. I'll stick with fish fresh pulled from the clean ocean and flash frozen.

You'd take a big pay cut to be a phlebotomist.

I didn't think you were that far from the ocean by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:13:03 AM EST
You're, what, six hours from the right coast as the truck drives? I'm surprised you don't have a bit of fresh sea food at the local grocer.

I'd have to take a pay cut to get any sort of interesting job except, possibly, for that of elected public official and I kind of think that I've screwed myself over on ever being qualified for that one.

Six hours? by skippy (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:35:29 AM EST
It's not fresh unless you can walk down to the water, stick yer arm in, and pull out a fish.

i can lean over by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #36 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 01:23:18 PM EST
and pull a fish out of my tank...unfortunately they're a little too small to be very edible.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
well by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #39 Sat Oct 28, 2006 at 09:25:26 AM EST
You could say the same about any law really.

Farmed fish have lower amounts of mercury compared to wild fish, no?

Blizzard of Death '06

Mercury adds flavor by debacle (2.00 / 0) #40 Sun Oct 29, 2006 at 10:47:11 AM EST
Almost all farmed fish tastes the same.

Charter Schools by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:28:35 AM EST
I think you summed up charter schools well.  It's the reason that I disagree with comparing them with public schools.  Charter schools are private schools.  They should be compared with private schools.  Force them to take sped, keep them from kicking kids out, and give them the funding of traditional public schools.  Wait a few years.  Then I'm willing to make comparisons.

---------------
Ours get about 2/3 of the funding of public by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:38:09 AM EST
school, and have the public school district providing transport. They don't get additional money for buildings.

So, they get a less tax dollars than the regular public schools, with fewer mandates.

Ours in particular says each family has to contribute 20 hours of work a year, and the kids end up doing much of the lunch work (no cafeteria and catered meals). The students and familes do sign a code of conduct.

They don't own the building and don't have room for a sped classroom. From my limited knowledge, only about 2% of the population was prevented from entering due to special needs, or asked to leave due to behavior.

in Mass. by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:53:55 AM EST
Here they get funded at the average of all schools for a district.  So an elementary charter school gets the funding of the average of elemenatry, junior and senior high.  Junior and senior high are traditionally funded at a higher level than elementary.  So they get the best funding.  And the district schools get an equal decrease in funding from the state.

---------------
I believe the district loses the 2/3rds by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:57:22 AM EST
of the funding, but they also don't have the student. I can see it hurting a district in the short term, but they should be able to cut personell and capital expenses to match. Of course, this is one reason the teacher's unions hate the charter schools.

Cutting personell by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:15:03 AM EST
Cutting personell only works if you lose an entire class.  What if you lose two-thirds of a class?  You can cut the teacher, but you grow class sizes.  Class sizes are key contributor to lack luster performance.

---------------
The city school district has tens of elementary by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:28:12 AM EST
schools, so if they know enrollment, they can adjust students around to have full class rooms, rather than 2/3, 2/3. 4/3, etc. It's hard to do in the short term, but it should be easier a year in advance.

Some of the city non-charter schools have waiting lists, too (magnet and the ones in the nicer neigborhoods), so I expect the poorer performing ones would do the worst.

I still think it's the parents, if they don't care all the money in the world won't do much.

I agree with the parents angle by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:30:47 AM EST
Good parents make kids good people.

---------------
The problem in Ohio .... by lm (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:18:58 AM EST
... is over half the charter schools are performing more poorly than the public schools.

That surprises me by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:23:17 AM EST
I thought it was generally accepted that charter schools should get preferential funding to ensure their winning the school wars.  It was part of the conservative attack on public education.  Well thought out over the last twenty years.

---------------
They closed a few Rochester charter schools by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:24:41 AM EST
for way underperforming. I think most don't do as well as the public ones.

Honestly I'm surprised (n/t) by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:26:12 AM EST

---------------
Two got closed by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:32:07 AM EST
What I can't quite understand ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:53:53 AM EST
... is now that state wide school report cards are almost ubiquitous thanks to No Unfunded Mandate Left Behind legislation why so many parents are choosing to send their kids to schools with track records so horribly worse than the local public schools.

I know that a number of studies a few years back suggested that parental involvement is the key to academic success for children. One would expect that at charter schools (where the parents have to make a choice to enroll the children) parental involvement would be higher and, consequently, charter schools ought to perform more highly than public schools.

But as it turns out, this is not the case in Ohio. 49 percent of Ohio's charters that were rated last year fell into the two lowest state categories for student achievement. Compare this to Ohio's school report card. In general only 12% of schools in Ohio fall into those two bottom categories.

Do Ohio schools offer enlistment bonuses? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:00:39 AM EST
like big screen TVs or something?

I know some of the parents choose charter schools because their children are poor fits for the public schools, which may mean that they bring their problems with them. Some may choose them because they like the way the charter school is presented, without knowing much of the qualifications of the people running them.

I suppose someone thrilled with the public school wouldn't even look at a charter school.

I expect it takes a year or so for a student to adapt to the charter school, too.

Not that I've seen by lm (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:14:58 AM EST
They are pretty agressive about targetted mailings and information sessions. I sent away for more information when one opened up close enough for my daughters to walk to. I receieved either a call or mailing at least once a week until I finally told them to stop after I'd looked the numbers up. Out of half a dozen schools run by the same company over several years, all of them were rated well below the schools my daughters already attend.

The funny part is that the people running the charter schools complain that the public schools aren't held to the same standard of being shutdown after just a couple of years at the low end of the scale. I think the numbers speak for themselves. 4 out of five public schools in Ohio make it to the top two tiers in the ratings. If charter schools can make it to that point, their complaint might start to get some traction.

A lot of it depends on who runs the school by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:21:23 AM EST
I think the two failed Rochester ones were run by people with little school administration experience.

Ours is run with the help of ELOB, who have a good track record, and a picture of Bill and Melinda.

I recall quite a few charters in Philadelphia being run for profit and failing miserably.

I'm not against charter schools per se by lm (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:32:29 AM EST
On the face of it is that it seems to me that a charter school is a relatively easy and secure way to make a profit and this attracts all sorts of people who are looking for an easy and secure way to make a profit. Some of the scams that have come up like the owner/administrator of a school exclusively buying overpriced supplies from a newly formed supply company owned by his wife are pretty sickening. This is why I agree with the stricter requirements for charter schools.

On the other hand there are some charter schools in Ohio that are not only getting top marks but also doing some pretty innovative things in terms of after school programs and the like. It just raises caveat emptor to a whole new level. Parents really ought to check on how a school is doing before sending their children.

Yeah, we had no track record other than by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:36:48 AM EST
what elob said they did at other schools, but we went with our feelings. We do feel blessed that ten year old made the lottery, their hands on method of teaching works very well with her ADD.

I saw two other Rochester (non-charter) schools are using their techniques, too, and they're well regarded also.

I do suspect it takes a special, high energy teacher to implement them, one who just does one curriculum and coasts for their career won't cut it.

The hell with Sudafed - gimme back Actifed! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #41 Mon Oct 30, 2006 at 10:52:37 AM EST
You can't even buy actifed anymore, and that was the  only stuff that every really cleared my head. I can only assume the crank heads bought the company.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
It's Superdad and Wonder Ten | 41 comments (41 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback