Print Story She said knowingly
By Vertical Frankenstein (Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 07:04:17 AM EST) Apple, MacBook, Work, Cars, Raleigh, NC (all tags)
Apple, car, work.

Visit to Raleigh.

So far the shinny new Macbook is performing admirably, mostly.  I found out in late September that it has a case of narcolepsy.  Apple's suggested treatment was a seven to ten day vacation in Texas to get a new logic board.  Because I didn't really want to part with my toy for over a week, I procrastinated.  And thank God I did.  Turns out the new logic board “fix” was a smoke screen while they worked on a firmware update.

We will see if this firmware update is the real solution or just another diversion.

I finally sold my old car.  Praise to all that is holy!  The old monster was taking up precious driveway space and crapping transmission fluid since August.  Chalk up another win for Craig's list.  I actually paid $30 for a three week ad in a local auto-selling publication.  All that got me was one phone call and a bill for $30.  Suck it, old media!

The kid who bought the car was fresh off a slow boat from China.  He's a grad student at a local Uni and knew nothing about purchasing a car.  I had to tell him how to get insurance, drive him to the bank to get the check, drive him to the DMV and help him fill out all the forms.  I even had to put his plates on the car because he didn't have a screw driver.

He's lucky he didn't buy a car from a car dealer.  He would have gotten screwed with a capital Naïve Chinaman.  VF: IT flunky by day, international diplomat by night.

One of my co-workers has a couple of kids; one of each kind (boy and girl).  He and his wife actually boughtadopted them.  Whatever floats their boat, I guess.  The boy is still a few years away from adolescence but he's already on a rebellious streak.

The latest mishap involved him being dragged home by the cops at 4am.  Apparently he thought it would be a good idea to go ride his bike in the middle of the night.  This wouldn't be a concern is east cow-country, but they live in the city.  The kind of area where a few blocks means the difference between manicured lawns and crack houses.

I predict more misadventures in the years to come.  I just hope no one ends up dead/maimed/pregnant.

Office politics sucks.  I've been working here long enough that I'm starting to get sucked into people's petty bullshit agendas and alliances.  It's like high school but with more money at stake.  Right now there's only two people I actually trust to not back-stab me, and one of them may be leaving soon because of the nonsense.

In a related vein, I got a verbal slap from one of my bosses.  He was having difficulty configuring access to our intranet server.  He came over to my desk and started asking 52 rapid-fire questions about how the server was configured.  Meanwhile I'm trying to do an on-the-fly context switch after working on another unrelated project all morning + the last 6 months.

The fun part:

Him: how do I connect to version control?
Me: $program
(five minutes later)
Him: how do I create a repository?
Me: you need to log into the server
Him: how do I do that?
Me: you need to connect with Putty
Him: where do I download that?
Me: i don't remember the site but you can Google for it
Him: (angry) i'm starting to get upset and disappointed in the level of documentation for the system.  IT needs to manage all of this and know how it works.  You need to put the interest of the company ahead of your own interests.
Me: I gave you and $otherboss printouts of the documentation and it's on the fileserver
Him: where?
Me: in the documentation directory
Him: (walks away)

Jebus H. Christ on a pogo stick.  Meanwhile, he did this in front of the rest of the office so I look like some slacker who's not doing his job.

I think I'l be in Raleigh, NC during Thanksgiving week.  I have relatives in VA who I plan on visiting and friends in RD who I plan on staying with.  The main purpose of the trip is to scope out Raleigh for possible future inhabitation.  The IT job market in my current locale is abysmal so I need to have a potential escape location for as early as next summer.

Well, almost no one is in the office today, but I guess I should do some work.  Work, sleep, hide the bodies, GOTO 1.

< People playing FF may appreciate this | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
She said knowingly | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Where do you live now? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:00:48 AM EST
north of the M-D line?

Very much north by Vertical Frankenstein (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:35:54 AM EST
syracuse.ny.us.earth.milkyway

I thought you lived near by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 09:40:23 AM EST
I spent a year in Raleigh, I missed the upstate winters. But they're friendly down there, once they realize you're a Yankee they'll find a special place for you to live.

Insanity by Vertical Frankenstein (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:21:59 AM EST
I missed the upstate winters

I like having different seasons, but I do not like snow.  I'm not a ski/snowboard/ice skate person so I just sit around all winter waiting for the snow to melt.

It's called Cary. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:01:37 AM EST
"Containment Area for Relocated Yankees."

I lived there for a couple of years when I was in grad school. There are less yuppie and less expensive places to live, and all in all, Raleigh and surrounding areas aren't a bad place to live. The provincialism of North Carolina - even in the more liberal areas - still kind of gets me down when I visit, though.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

Yeah, what's with the beer only bars? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:05:21 AM EST
I frequented one on Hillsborough, (Barrys II), they only sold drinks in bottles and cans. Weird.

Bars. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:12:20 AM EST
There are different levels of liquor licenses, and it's all apparently quite complicated. To serve liquor without a certain percentage of the bar's income coming from food, the establishment must be classified as a "members and guests only" club. Periodically, the Alcohol Law Enforcement folks go around and try to enter a such a bar, and if they aren't asked for a membership card, the bar gets fined. Too many violations, and they're shut down. Thus, beer only. Or they serve enough food to skirt the issue. Or they hand out membership cards for free (not technically allowed, I think).
-----
I had to do that in Dallas by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:23:40 AM EST
become a member of a pool hall/club/bar with waitresses in school girl outfits to havea  drink and meet al.

hmm by Vertical Frankenstein (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:31:00 AM EST
to havea  drink and meet al

Does Mrs. Ha know about Al?

She might remember by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:32:30 AM EST
but he's too much of a food ninny to ever taste her cooking.

hah by Vertical Frankenstein (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:15:51 AM EST
"Containment Area for Relocated Yankees."

That's exactly where my friends are.  And yes, they're Yankees.

That's always a little disheartening.  The area I'm in now is liberal in the city but solidly republican outside.  The state carries Dems because of NYC and the other population centers.  Even still, I have a Bush-supporting Republican Congressman.

Even though I grew up in NCia, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 10:28:40 AM EST
I still feel like I fit in much better here in Boston than I ever did there. I do kind miss being the oddest one around, though. ;->
-----