Print Story People playing FF may appreciate this
By jayhawk88 (Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 05:18:05 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm starting Seneca Wallace at QB this weekend. The story on how in the living hell it has come this inside.

Also, the new computer, my anniversary, and possibly more.

So at the begining of the season I drafted Drew Bledsoe as my starter, and Chris Simms as my backup. Obviously I didn't put a priority on QB drafting this year. What can I say, at the time it seemed like a good idea. Simms probably would have worked OK as my backup had his gut not exploded, and Bledsoe? Well let's just say my other choice at the tiem was Trent Green, so I'd have been hosed anyway.

After Simms went down I picked up Leftwich, and probably would have just went with him and left Bledsoe on the bench, but apparently he's got an ankle ding as well. So Bledsoe is dropped, and now I have to pick up a starter as I don't feel safe plugging Leftwich in. Some of my choices were Romo (screw that I'm done with Cowboy's QB's), Rothlisberger (thought about it but too many question marks this week), Lossman (ugh), Frye (again I thought about it but something about Cleveland QB's scares me), and Harrington. Honestly if Harrington wasn't on bye this week I'd have gone for him, and still might next week.

But in the end I went with Wallace. My theory is that the Chiefs are playing a Seattle team without it's starting QB and all-pro RB, at home, so in theory they should dominate on D, which of course means that they'll give up about 35 points. At least that's my hope. It'll probably end up costing me, but oh well, if it works out I'll be a fantasy legend in this league.

The new Dell arrived last Friday. Thanks to Jenn (it was shipped to her office, stupid State of Kansas rules on receiving personal shipments) I got it Friday afternoon, and had it up and running and installing Warcraft by that evening. My friend James asked me how the new computer was over the weekend, and I'll retell the story I told him.

When I was in college down in Pittsburg I had an old Compaq 486, 25Mhz, with I believe 12 meg of RAM. I had got this with some accumulated graduation money, which is a story in itself. In short, it started out as a Packard-Bell 386, then PB 486, and finally the Compaq, after two PB motherboards failed. The Compaq, however, lasted through two years at Hays and three years at Pittsburg.

So while down in Pittsburg I played a lot of games on this thing obviously, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Civilization, Colonization, and a great little game called X-Wing. If you're thinking that X-Wing was a little bit too much game for a 486/25Mhz/12RAM you'd be right, compounded by the fact that I didn't have a joystick card in the machine.

Yes, that's correct. I played X-Wing with a mouse. Not like a track-ball mouse or obviously a digital/laser mouse either; the standard gumming-up, $4-worth-of-plastic standard mouse that came with the machine. And I gotta tell you, I was damn good at it too. I beat the damn game, slamming my mouse all around the desk, desperately trying to shake Tie's any way I could as I made my trench run.

Finally my roommates at the time, James and Ron, after telling me for months to go buy a damn joystick card, must have got sick of hearing me abuse that mouse at all hours of the night and went and bought me a game port card. Of course, the first time I played X-Wing with a joystick, it was like playing a different game. Turning and rolling were about 1000% easier, and quicker to boot. With the mouse I was constantly stalling out in my turns each time I had to life the mouse to roll it again, meaning that I was constantly getting blasted from behind by enemy fire, meaning I was constantly re-adjusting my shields and charge rates just to survive, taking pot-shots at enemies rarely when the opportunity presented itself. With the joystick, I mowed through Tie's like I was The Force personified.

It's like that now with World of Warcraft and this new computer. I didn't realize how much of the in game lag I was experiencing was due to my hardware rather than the internet. I mean I'm no dummy, I knew that my 800Mhz/512RAM/128Radeon wasn't exactly state of the art, but still...I guess you just get used to playing a game a certain way. No longer is running through Alterec BG's a slideshow; no longer do Horde I'm battling disappear before my eyes as my processor struggles to catch up with the rendering. It no longer takes 2-3 minutes to load all the textures when I log in in Ironforge. While the difference in gameplay isn't quite as pronounced as it was with X-Wing (I still get owned by Warlocks), there's no doubt that the new computer has been worth it.

Also, I'm now 8 days late in mentioning that Jenn and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary this past October 19. This time three years ago I was back at work after a week in San Antonio, probably wishing that I had taken another week to spend with my new wife. We didn't do anything super special to celebrate this year, just went out to dinner basically, but that's OK. Happy Late Anniversary sweetie :*

Working this weekend; bringing up a new domain controller at work. The plan is to eventually retire the current one, but we of course want to make sure things go smoothly, especially considering that we'll be going from Server 2000 to 2003, so this new one will run in conjuntion with the current ones for about a week or so.

< Some bad. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
People playing FF may appreciate this | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
FF and WoW by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 06:04:46 AM EST
I am starting Rothlesberger this weekend. That will be special.

What WoW server do you play on?  I have two toons on Draenor......

Gedvondur
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

All my Khadgar homies speak up by MisterQueue (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 06:47:45 AM EST
that's where I roll. Word.

-Q
--------------
It shone, pale as bone,
As I stood there alone.

Whisperwind here by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:32:50 AM EST

Dont feel sad by cam (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 06:19:02 AM EST
Driusan drafted most of the Maple Leafs.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

All the way with Brady!! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 06:33:07 AM EST
I'm pretty happy with having Brady as my QB. He's mister consistent and while he doesn't get any 30 point weeks like a McNab or Vick might do, he does throw for 200 yards and 2 TD's just about every week with little or no int's.

This is a good thing as I'm getting fucked with Lamont girlie-man Jordan and now Greg Jennings going down with injuries. WTF?

re Frye - the Browns have a new OF cooridnator for this week, so they may open up the offense a bit, and Frye might have a decent game (they play the J E T S Jets) but Frye is still way tooo mistake prone for me to have much faith in him.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

heh by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Oct 28, 2006 at 03:19:14 PM EST
I have both Frye and Pennington as my QBs...I'm sure your head is spinning.

And even with those guys I won my league last week and my overall W-L record is 5-2. I'm in second place overall.

Go with Losman, I can guarantee he won't by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 06:35:02 AM EST
throw an interception this weekend.

Yep by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:28:53 AM EST
He won't throw an interception, he'll surely throw at least 2 or 3 of them.

Next year we'll have to have a HuSi FF league. It will be loads of fun to stomp the living crap out of all my imaginary pals!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

You're a lot of typing by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:34:51 AM EST
you want to put money on him throwing no interceptions on Sunday?

I'm assuming Bills are on bye this week by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:38:56 AM EST
Honestly I didn't get that far into checking on Losman, he just screams trouble to me the way the Bills have been playing lately.

The O line sucks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:47:27 AM EST
someone called the left tackle the human turnstile. Plus, he holds on to the ball too long, trying to make that play.

They switched the line around, that may help, and he may learn to dump the ball rather than get sacked, but it's a project.

Sounds familiar huh? by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:03:27 AM EST
Good thing they got rid of Bledsoe!

At least Bledsoe had a professional peak by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:22:43 AM EST
Buffalo fans are worried we have another Rob Johnson.

You smarmy bastard by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:41:39 AM EST
Tried to trick me, eh?

Okay then, but I'll remember that. Yes sir, I'll be certain to remember this less-than-forthright behaviour...

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

You have to keep your eye on the ball if by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:53:24 AM EST
you want to win at FF, including knowing what teams have byes. You're just lucky you didn't put up your Escort.

Don't try to make nice now.. by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:57:28 AM EST
I'm considering sanctions.

This type of thing can't just willy nilly happen without a direct response from the International community.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

i'm also starting wallace by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 06:40:47 AM EST
my goofy league starts two QBs and brunnell and kitna are on bye so i'm stuck with leftwich (assuming he plays) and wallace. i would have picked up romo but i went into total football shutdown mode for 24 hours after the monday night meltdown and by the time i woke up and realized romo was out there it was too late, somebody'd already picked him up.

Romo seemed like trouble to me by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:43:58 AM EST
On the road, against a serviceable Carolina D (they're 17th against the pass this year so far), his first start with the hype machine going 24/7 this week, Parcells is likely to lean heavily on the running game to ease him into it....just seemed like a recipe for a 140/0/1 kind of day.

FF by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 07:45:09 AM EST
Thankfully I'm kicking ass with McNabb, but I'm only 4-3. Botched it last week - I started the wrong running backs. Should have started Leon Washington, then I would have won. It's so much harder these days with probably half the teams splitting carries between a few backs.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Someone by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:36:05 AM EST
I think it might have been the Sports Guy over on one of his columns at ESPN, was pitching the idea of drafting team running games, rather than individual backs, due to the whole platooning thing. You'd probably have to cut back on the use of one RB slot if you did this in many leagues, but I'm starting to like that idea. Of course if you do it's a slippery slope to doing the same with QB's, WR's or special teams, and at that point you might as well just play pick'em.

Yep by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 08:39:22 AM EST
I've got Julius Jones with Dallas, who runs for about 100 yards every game but never scores a TD as they bring in Marion Barber when they get to the goal line. So I get about 5 or 6 points with JJ (which isn't horrible) but get screwed out of the TD points.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

what's the point of even playing by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 11:19:08 AM EST
ahh for the lost magic of when fantasy football was for real men...err nerds. now any yokel who doesn't even watch games plays. sad.