Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 03:42:04 AM EST) A Day in the Life, WTF, friends, buddies, fuckwits, pie (all tags)
Former Cow-Orkers

A lobotomy isn't a $MegaCorp exit requirement. I know this because on occasion I meet up with Johnny and sometimes Poopyhead comes along, too. We have fun and drink and Johnny tries to get me to leave $MegaCorp and come to whichever shop is his current employer. I inevitably trump him with the fact that I have incredible flexi-time which, he painfully admits, is something $CurrentJob does not believe in.

Johnny sent in a ticket last week which was simple enough; I guess he just forgot the mechanics or didn't know if they'd changed since version 4.0.b. I sent him a quick answer and he gave me 10s across the board. That survey will be ignored. Not only is Johnny a buddy, he's one of the original BadBoys, a group of us less-than-corporate types (including Johnny, Poopyhead and me) who did our best to make the place more tolerable. Managers remember him all too well.

Today I got hit with a question from another former cow-orker. I remember him being good at his work and that he even had a sense of humour, so I'm hoping his managers forced him to write the stupidity he submitted in that ticket.

x-posted to da brog, sans poll.

Please be informed that after $MyCompany installs IE 7 onto our STAGE and PRODUCTION servers, we will be submitting tickets for any break in functionality.

Please inform our Technical Account Representative.

Let us know if you have questions.

Yeah, I have a few questions, Skippy:
  1. How long can you afford to be dead in the water?
  2. How long does it take you guys to support a new platform? $YourCompany needed eight months before it could run on XP.
  3. How the hell can you expect us to support a new platform immediately upon its accelerated release?
You're going to be submitting a lot of tickets, Sport, and I'll be taking them all and closing each and every one of them with the same damned answer: IE7 is unsupported. I wrote the Notice which is kind of hard to miss.

Not only do I want to close this ticket with a Root Cause:17 - Fuckwit, the guy who submitted it understands what that means. Instead he's just getting a 13: Unsupported Platform.

< How To Cheat on Your Girlfriend | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Fun stuff by lm (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 03:56:04 AM EST
Last week, we put up a bulletin board notice in our app that IE7 is not supported.

Given the number of calls we've had from various people who've upgraded their Adobe Reader, I'm surprised we haven't had more people calling in with problems that stem from IE7.

Don't take it so seriously by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 03:57:22 AM EST

It's legal. It's for the paper trail. It's i-dotting, t-crossing, duck-vectoring and box-ticking. It's making sure the weasels have enough source material. It's not your problem.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Oh, no. This is serious by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 04:10:27 AM EST
We had companies installing fucking beta IE7, then complaining and submitting Sev-1 tickets that their production systems were hosed. Read that again: the companies were installing it, not just some random ell-users on their own workstations but fucking roll-outs. Of beta software. With no internal testing.

Fuckwits, the lot of them.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

In fairness by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 09:47:37 AM EST
It is my understanding that come tomorrow, every Windows user on the planet will get a "Do you want to install IE7?" dialog box.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Almost by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 11:06:17 AM EST
For the past three weeks MS have been pushing DLs of the fucking beta/RC versions! There's a way to stop it and a corporate tool to prevent the installation, but it's a part of Automatic Updates and users are encouraged to DL it. they were fucking encouraged to DL it when it was a fucking "beta" which it really still is.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

At what point does MSware stop being a beta? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 03:46:46 PM EST
Release 3 service pack 2?

Wumpus

In my experience by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 24, 2006 at 02:11:58 AM EST
"Service Pack 3"

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Source? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Oct 23, 2006 at 11:12:29 AM EST
Or just a BITS think?

IMHO, it's not worth it. From what I've seen it's actually slower than IE6.

A Day in the Life | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback