Print Story Apple Fritters
By BlueOregon (Tue Oct 10, 2006 at 07:05:58 PM EST) (all tags)

This isn't a real diary, either.

Inside:

1. puppy content for mns
  2. what I'm reading
  3. what I'm watching
  4. what I'm eating and drinking
  5. other links
  6. ... all this and more!

1. Dog doesn't let disability slow him down: “The cart doesn't work on the stairs at Paula's apartment and Poly Wog will never run and fetch like other dogs. But, Paula says he's happy, he's not in pain and he's only enriched her life by being in it.”

2. Neumann, Gerhard, Ideenparadiese. Untersuchungen zur Aphoristik von Lichtenberg, Novalis, Friedrich Schlegel und Goethe. München: Wilhelm Fink, 1976.—All I can say is wow! This is an amazing volume about the use of aphorism in the works of the authors mentioned in the title. My interest in the book deals primarily with Lichtenberg, but also with Herder, who is not in the title but who does play a role in the development of a theory of aphorism by Neumann.

I first got into aphorism last month when I came across a book on Lichtenberg (Stern, J.P., Lichtenberg: A Doctrine of Scattered Occasions. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1959) and found a passage or two about the role of simile and analogy in Lichtenberg's aphorisms (often called experiments) In Lichtenberg's aphorisms, the specific simile is not merely an example, and it cannot be changed or switched out without destroying the meaning of the aphorism as a whole. This matter of irreducibility is a matter of concern for Lichtenberg, Herder, and, to an extent, even F. Bacon. Along with Nietzsche and Morgenstern, Lichtenberg is, for most readers, the most famous German author of such texts.

3. As a relatively recent convert to the joy of comic books, I must say that I am also a fan of NBC's new series, Heroes. Wednesday evening will bring another episode of Lost, which pleases me, though I'll have to wait until Friday for BSG—I have a much more positive view of season 3 (so far) than many other HuSites, it seems. I'll also have to agree with theantix's wise commentary regarding cam's critique ... no reason to link to it, since you can find it in the Hole.

Before going to the library this afternoon I turned the TV on and saw an old episode of Little House on the Prairie (Mary at the school for the blind with Adam)—whenever I see an episode of that show, I know exactly what it's about ... I'm sure I've seen them all, even if not for decades. When I was back home, so to speak, in August, I ended up viewing a number of M*A*S*H reruns ... still funny. Regarding the former, however, it's interesting as well as amusing to see how ideal and idealized that family was ... who wouldn't want a father like Pa?

4. I need to get around to making my own apple fritters ... Fair Trade's fritters are tasty things ... and their iced coffee isn't too shabby, either ... nice and strong.

6. Ooh, Wisconsin politics ... let's see, Mark Green, the Republican candidate for governor is a racist and nativist (as far as I'm concerned, nativists are racists. Period). The sad thing is that I am not a fan of the slimy Democratic governor, Jim Doyle, who ran years ago on a pro-education and pro-educator platform but who deserted TAs during our contract dispute a few years back, but as long as state Republicans continue to nominate far-right (anti-abortion, anti-birth-control, anti-science, anti-immigrant, etc.) candidates, they're not going to get the votes of those of us who are not great fans of Doyle. Even better, though, Wisconsin is home to one of the anti-gay-marriage amendments ... it would outlaw civil unions, too. Fucktards. The fact that, in the polls, it is close just indicates how many bigoted fucks there are in this state ... after all, this is not just the state of Fighting Bob La Follette ... but also Joe McCarthy.

Okay, now I'm depressed ... time for a late-night drink.

< Vanilla Chocolate | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Apple Fritters | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
and then she has the cheek by fleece (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 01:39:48 AM EST
to wink at the camera.

also, i just read "deliverance" by james dickey. jesus christ what a great writer.

I must admit ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 05:04:55 AM EST

... I only know the movie (know of the book) ... and, of course, now I have that music going through my head like an ever-lopping train of muzak.

Awwwwww! Puppy in a wheelchair! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 05:28:41 AM EST

What a way to start a morning!

... what a way to start a morning ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 05:53:48 AM EST

... on a roll?

TV junkiedom by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 05:52:26 AM EST
Heroes is cute, and occasionally sort of revolting. Of course I'm watching it. Lost went off the rails a while back, if it was ever on rails to begin with, but about one out of three episodes are amusing enough; you just never know which one, and you'll never understand the good one if you don't watch the other two. It's evil.

As for BSG ... I still like what they're doing, too. But I've always liked how the show isn't really about spaceships and robots but instead is more generally about how mankind deals with the Enemy -- the whole robot thing is just a stand-in for the way that We (the generic We) tend to consider Them, those people on the Other Side, as something less than human (to some extent you have to in war, in order to justify killing them in the first place -- this is not meant to be a troll, and I don't want to get into the whole morality of war thing here -- that's what the show is for).

By the way, do you ever read Television without Pity? Their recaps can be of unequal quality depending on who's doing them, but Jacob tends to delve into the subtext under the text of BSG. He does this for Doctor Who, too (and also, I think, for American Idol, though I can't vouch for that). Sometimes it is bullshit, but. Anyway, I liked what he said about BSG during the summer break:

Remember how the show started out really depressing, all about humanity's genocide and little tiny infants getting their necks snapped? Yeah, and then remember how Season Two made that seem kind of fun, like a little kid's birthday party, only with rape camps? And they all joined a cult and there was a military coup? And then the POWs started getting brutally beaten and trying to commit suicide? And then the second half of the season sucked for a while and everybody on the show turned into drunk, cheating, lying assholes? And then it ended with the remnants of humanity getting put in a concentration camp? Wasn't that awesome?

So, like, they're saying Season Three's going to be "dark."

D and I were watching the season premiere and with about 15 minutes to go, D said something like "I hope something happy happens in the last ten minutes."

I said, "I don't think anything happy is going to happen on this show again, ever."

Do not misuse.

TV by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 04:21:41 PM EST

I try not to watch too much TV ... for if I do turn it on, I can sit there for hours letting my brain rot. If I see a CSI or L&O episode on ... BAM! ... there goes an hour of my time.

I like good (or even great) TV when I can get it, but I'm not really looking for any new series to adopt as my own. I treat the two Stargate series as my guilty pleasures—they're well-enough-done, fun, sci-fi soap operas ... I watch for the actor and character interactions, the comfort-lines (and/or situations ... indeed), and the world-building.

When it comes to BSG, I like living episode-to-intense-episode. I do not watch movies or TV so I can identify with characters, and I do not watch for political allegory or relevance, nor for what it is supposed to be (by way of genre, content, etc.).

Anway, that was a bit off-topic (or rather, off on another topic). Regarding Lost, I am certain that it can't go on "forever" doing what it's doing in terms of structural/narrative formula, but I'm not tired of it, and what I do love about it, still, is its refusal to resolve [insert direct object]—what I find to be a shame in so many shows with 'intriguing' premises and mystery is their need within a few episodes to explain everything, to rationalize everything ... an inability to live with ambiguity [I enjoy Heroes, but it, too, is on the 'everything is connected and makes sense' bandwagon].

And, finally, regarding Television without Pity, I've read it before, but not on a regular basis. I do love that excerpt, though.

my strategy by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 05:22:14 PM EST
if you can call it that, is to try not to watch TV casually -- that is, the sitting down to see what's on and getting sucked into watching a whole day of VH-1 programming (this has not happened in years -- I'm not sure if there is anything currently showing on VH-1 that has this power anymore, in fact, does that channel still exist?) I try to select shows and follow them: in a sense, to watch TV with purpose. Also, ever since D's great media-computer triumph of last year, we tend to record shows and watch them in unreal time, so that for every TV-hour I consume, I've spent less than one life-hour consuming it.

The Stargates -- I'd call them my brain rot shows, or my bad habit. SG-1 does have that nice well-worn feeling and I don't mind the moebius-strip way it keeps looping back on itself ad infinitum ... that's what it does. Atlantis, I dunno, hasn't quite gotten into its groove (or is it a rut?) yet, and is a bit too Rodney-centric for my taste.

The problem I have with Lost is a lack of faith in the central mystery (or should I say mysteries, by this point?) I suppose they are due some credit for not spilling it all at once, but what they've revealed so far lacks a satisfying cohesion or even (I feel) promise of eventual cohesion, except in the most superficial ways. As far as its structure, I (not surprisingly) have a weakness for using flashback in my writing, so much so that sometimes I think my true vocation is to be a writer for Lost, but what is frustrating is not the gimmick but the fact that they use it to tread the same territory again and again. So I tend to follow that show not so much for the myster[y|ies] which, I think, will remain not only unresolved but almost fundamentally unresolvable, but more for the character interactions in the present. (As far as shows that withhold information from the audience, I'm somewhat interested to see what happens with The Nine, where the unknown is well-defined, as it were, and other than delving more deeply into the characters' backstories, there is limited opportunity for "enigma-creep.")

Random Heroes note: Bryan Fuller, who I believe is a consultant or something on the show, was creator of Dead Like Me and co-creator of Wonderfalls.

And yes, I thought that was a nice summation of BSG so far. Beware, reading the full recaps of BSG sometimes takes longer than watching the episodes in the first place.

Do not misuse.

Unless it's an ancient, archaic color copier by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 07:26:54 AM EST
it's little different than taking pictures with a digital camera with a fixed focal length and printing them out. It's still CMOS/CCDs capturing photons.

I don't recall my NYT login, so I can't appreciate it.

the copier ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 10:07:27 AM EST

... the 'interesting' thing with the copier was in arranging things on the glass, putting a black cloth or such over top to block out all the light ...

So in terms of the 'tech' you're right, it would be very much like using a digital camera. The possibilities and/or limitiations of composition and such are a photocopier issue, though they could be duplicated with a camera and glass, I suspect.

The fun stuff is if the scanner is slow by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 11, 2006 at 10:19:57 AM EST
you can move the image in line with scanner and get real cool trailing effects, too.

Apple Fritters | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback