Print Story I'm working for MNS
By celeriac (Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 04:15:55 PM EST) (all tags)
at least, a guy with those initials.

Physics & girls.

Second term, second rotation. Here I am in the monkey lab. My project begins with doing some psychophysics on myself, which means programming, which means I'm having trouble motivating myself. I need to break out the stack of index cards again. Not to mention, statistical mechanics is a very needy class.

The funny thing is, all of the applications of stat mech to biological problems (of which there quite a few, probably more than any other branch of physics) do not involve any detailed knowledge of quantum or classical mechanics, but in the physics world, stat mech is something you teach people only after you've brought them through the low level details, even if all you're doing is taking the limit where the details become irrelevant.

Anyway, turning in an impressive performance on the rotation is a higher priority than relearning Hamiltonians... I think I will stick through the problem set on the Gibbs distribution and then deploy the annual drop.

The quest for a local girl... There was the girl who was hitting on me fairly hardcore a couple months ago, then suddenly stopped being responsive. It seems she's found a boy. Man, I am so slow on the uptake, not like I was looking for a serial monogamist anyway.

Then I was hunting around okcupid. Once you delete all the uninteresting profiles and people who don't log in or answer their email, there are a couple left. One, I had a nice no-intentions lunch with, and then her profile changed from "seeing someone" to "single" but she didn't answer my hello. Hmph. Another, acts like she wants to meet me but has a seemingly intractable case of full-schedule-itis. Starting to get kinda hilarious actually.

The last several episodes of BSG have kicked ass. On the other hand, I downloaded and have been watching some Firefly--meh. Space Western is a decent concept, but the attempted sexual tension falls flat, and every planet they land on is very recognizably some SoCal desert, either the Mojave or Antelope Valley--and not the parts with wildflowers. The female characters are very specifically assigned to hot/cute/butch/mysterious archetypes.

I just read Blixco's story, and so I'm going to go get a burrito.

< SHMRB em-eff-cee-three zee-zee | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm working for MNS | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Women don't like to say "no" by dmg (1.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 05:52:53 PM EST
It's part of their cultural conditioning.

Let me put it differently. In what way is having "a seemingly intractable case of full-schedule-itis" acting like she wants to meet you? Sounds like she's acting exactly as if she doesn't want to meet you! LOL ROFL etc.

I suggest you try to develop some skills. And as for online dating, it's best avoided, since it tends to filter out all the 'normal' people leaving only the psychos...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I find your ideas intriguing by celeriac (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 07:06:35 PM EST
but I think I'll pass on the newsletter.

ROFL LOL etc. Hence, "hilariously."

I'm quite intent on filtering out the 'normal' people.

I think every Whedon script 1997 and later ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 08:31:08 PM EST
... is just another rehash of Alien Resurection.

Cicero, The Republic
You think so, huh? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Jan 22, 2006 at 12:01:44 PM EST
Alien Resurrection, however, seems like a rehash of Terminator II which is just a rehash of some 60's western that had John Wayne in it which was just a rehash of The Illiad.

Fucking Greeks.

uhm, yeah by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jan 22, 2006 at 05:21:11 PM EST
If you took the plot arch of Terminator II and had a drunk translate it into Polish and inject a different drunk with LSD and translate it back into English then it might turn out a bit like Alien Resurection.

Aside from which, I think you're missing my point. I was not offering any observation as to whether or not Joss Whedon steals archetypical ideas from other movies. My point was, rather, to suggest that virtually every script he's written since Alien Resurection has been the same story.

Cicero, The Republic
Every script he's ever written by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jan 22, 2006 at 06:46:24 PM EST
Has been a rehashing.

That might be true by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 04:50:15 AM EST
But prior to AR, there was a bit more variety. Note that his work with AR coincides with the start of the Buffy TV series. Ever since, there has been remarkable consistency in the stories that he writes about angsty chicks with superhuman powers that save a universe not worth saving, aided by a crowd of low-life rejects with assorted superpowers of their own.

Cicero, The Republic