Print Story A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him [FBC]
By TheophileEscargot (Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 09:24:38 AM EST) Whisky, Watching (all tags)
Whisky, Watching, Me.

Whisky Live
Got complaints last year that I didn't tell anyone. Whisky Live is a whisky tasting event in central London. We're going Saturday 4th March. 11AM to 5PM in theory though we've never lasted anywhere near that long: after a couple of hours we have to head to the pub and drink beer to sober up. You just have a bunch of stalls dishing out whisky, you wander round with a glass. Sadly we don't have a contact anymore, so have to pay the full £29.50 to get in. Well worth it in my opinion: in theory they have vouchers but in practice they don't bother to check. Stagger along if you're interested.

What I'm Watching
Lilo and Stitch: pretty good Disney comedy, though gets a bit cheesy at the end. Nice cel-styled retro animation.

Battle Beyond the Stars: cheesy but groovy Roger Corman sci-fi B-movie, based on The Magnificent Seven. A crisp John Sayles script keeps this a cut above the average.

The Thin Man is a classic comedy detective movie from 1934. Superb: crackling dialogue, witty script, great performances. Watch it.

Me
Busy. They've confirmed they want to go live on Wednesday. Things are even more fucked up than usual though. We're going live with two related projects simultaneously. One of is all brand-new code, the other's an upgrade of a current system. The business clearly haven't tested the new-code system at all. They've raised no bugs at all for it, haven't bothered creating a project for it at all, but are convinced it's perfect because they've seen a static-data mockup. Oh well: fortunately I don't care that much anymore.

< Well that was a totally shitty weekend, | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him [FBC] | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
re: Battle Beyond the Stars by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 09:37:21 AM EST
I saw this when it was first released, which would have made me eight or nine at the time. Even at that early age, my cheese detector went off. And that from a kid who looked forward to watching Japanese monster movies on Sunday afternoons!

And yet you mark this as a cut above average? Maybe I need to watch it again, but I am highly dubious of your evaluation.

Cicero, The Republic
I meant by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 09:39:16 AM EST
A cut above the average sci-fi B movie.

Maybe if you were older you'd have appreciated the cheesiness more...

Whisky by Herring (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 10:02:14 AM EST
I love you.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Ah whiskey by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 10:03:55 AM EST
and its relatives are about the only liquor I like straight-up.

JonBoy on the Boob-lennium Falcon! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 11:17:57 AM EST
How cheestastically lovely a movie. :) As for Disney, I don't think they've come out with anything good in years on their own. The only good stuff connected with them is the work they've financed like The Incredibles and Pirates of the Carribean. All they should do is give people money and let those people do their thing and they'll go on forever!

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.

I'm glad by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 11:24:16 AM EST
...it's not just me who noticed that about the spaceship.
Whisky Live by priestess (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 17, 2006 at 12:26:59 AM EST
Pope Phill Monty is always trying to get the Subgenii's to accompany him. Some of 'em even do so. Doubt I'll make it down there, but have lots of fun.

My brother brought me a bottle of malt for xmas, quite enjoyed having a wiskey glass in my hand again. It's good for sloshing about expressively while ranting I find.

Pre.........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...