Print Story Cheese
Food
By crispyduck (Sat Jan 14, 2006 at 10:48:45 AM EST) (all tags)
I can't believe this site doesn't have a Cheese topic. Or a Cows topic for that matter. Anyway, this is a Cheese diary. You'll have to wait for the cow one.

Inappropriate cheese

The main thing I have to say about cheese, is that I have a new pet hate: curry houses that put fucking CHEESE (of the non-paneer variety) in their dishes.

There's one place we know that doesn't put paneer in its Sag Paneer - it uses cheddar instead. Which is quite revolting - and the rest of their curry isn't that great anyway, so we don't go there any more. However, recently a new takeaway opened, we found them to be quite nice and have taken to ordering four or five of their vegetable dishes (£2.40 each and decently sized) which does us 3-4 meals. Until the time they sprinkled cheddar on top. Grrrr! It's not every time, but last night it wasn't even cheddar, it was the nasty processed cheese you get in Mcdonald's burgers, melted all over an otherwise tasty paneer jalfrezi.

Now I love cheese, and there's no cheese I won't eat (except maybe the plasticky fake stuff) I also love paneer in Indian dishes. But to add any other cheese to a curry, is wrong and horrible. Despite the otherwise niceness of their food, I'm considering not ordering from there any more. Either that or making them promise my order won't be polluted with inappropriate cheese. Even dgym thinks it's wrong, and he eats supernoodles on pizza.

Stripy cheese

On an more positive cheesy note, I bought stripy cheese (Five Counties) for my lunch this week, and it has to be said, if there's one thing better than cheese, it's stripy cheese.

Northern cheese

Also, Wensleydale is good with Christmas cake, something that never occurred to me before meeting dgym - supposedly it's a Northern thing, his family are a bit more northern than mine, and they've always done it.

Cheese out.

< Spectrum Is Green | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Cheese | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ob Wallace by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jan 14, 2006 at 12:23:07 PM EST
"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted!"

Actually even a pathetic Colonist such as myself knows of Wensleydale and cake. I've even simulated it over here in the States. I find it quite pleasant.

Cheese and Fruitcake by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 08:31:48 AM EST
Is much tastier than it sounds.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
That is nothing. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 10:29:36 AM EST
Some allegedelly Mexican restaurants use British cheeses to replace Mexican ones on their dishes, and not only that, they think that when you replace one cheese, you can use any cheese, they don't even attempt to chose the one that may have some resemblance with the original.

To add insult to injury they use Indian curries and sacues to replace Mexican ones in Mexican dishes.

Absofuckinlutely disgusting.

Indian and Mexican by crispyduck (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 12:18:25 PM EST
Although both involve spicy stuff, and both are very tasty, they're quite incompatible with one another.

Admittedly I use mild cheddar and/or mozzarella when cooking Mexican[1] stuff, tastes OK as far as I'm concerned, I'm not actually sure what the right cheeses are, or whether I could get hold of them if I did know... In Barcelona we had nachos with Amarillo cheese which was super-stringy and pretty awesome.

[1] I'm aware there's a difference between Mexican and "Tex-Mex", although I'm not really sure where the distinctions lie. I'm thinking tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc. Super-spicy with lots of sour cream, guacamole and salsa.

Ah, Mexican food. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 31, 2006 at 12:46:08 PM EST
One can use the fine cheeses of these British lands as substitutes, but it has to be done judiciously if you are the chef in a restaurant charging 30 or 40 quid a head pretending to be authentic.

Nachos with Amarillo cheese is most defintively on the Tex-Mex side of things, delicious, no question.

The Tex-Mex food is easy to spot: lots of cheese (always one that melts), lots of cream, lots of meat, all spiced up with a now typical but limited number of spices. You will almost never find any sea food in a Tex-Mex restaurant, which is a bit odd because Texas has a long coastline. It is basically a subset of Mexican food domesticated for US tastes.

Mexican food uses many different varieties of chilis, very often made in sauces the king of which is "mole", which comes in tens of kinds. If a place offers sauces with exotic chili names that is a good pointer, if they offer mole you are almost certain you are there for a treat.

In most of the country corn is king to the point that you can have breakfast, lunch and dinner on dishes based on corn prepared in many different ways, including beverages (atole).

In the coastal towns sea food takes natural prominence, one of the best dishes is fish Veracruz style, doable anywhere since the ingredients are easy to come by (I have done it with salmon!). Prawn lightly pan fried with garlic made in tacos with green chili and tomato salad is a real delicacy (the prawns are cooked fresh, not pre-coocked as we almost exclusively get thme here).

Oaxaca (a western state in the country) and Yucatan peninsula (close to Cuba) deserve special mention given the strong influence of Native American cultures on the menu. Tacos of worms or grasshoppers with a bit of green sauce is an unusual delicacy.

Wow, I am getting hungry now, I will fix myself a set of enfrijoladas (chicken wrapped in corn tortillas covered with a light bean sauce, dry cheese and a bit of cream)  and for the veggies I will make a cactus salad (joking, no cactus to be found in London).

Cheese | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback