Print Story The Coffee Machine That Died of Shame
By TheophileEscargot (Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 09:53:35 AM EST) Watching, OBLF (all tags)
Me, Coffee, Watching.

Multipoll! Buy coffee machine?

Me
Been busy at work.

Coffee dilemma
So as part of the new health plan, have cut down to one cup of coffee or tea per day, in the morning. Have been sleeping better since doing that

Was short of time the other day, so just made instant even though I had perfectly good filter coffee sitting around.

This monstrous crime has obviously caused my coffee machine to commit suicide: it hasn't worked since.

So, nor sure whether to buy a new filter machine or just a cafetière <USian>French press</USian>. A coffee machine could tempt me to drink more coffee. On the other hand, they do heat the water to the right temperature and so on. And I get to buy stuff.

This looks interesting, since the jug is built in. Presumably you still have to clean the jug-thingy, but at least it doesn't hang around visibly demanding cleaning.

Strange that it's £15.97 at Amazon but £49.99 at Argos. Be a pain to get it delivered though.

Operation Become Less Fat
Roughly six weeks in, 8 pounds down at 13st 10. Have made a few changes since last time. I'm a lot less fat than I was starting out the first time, so I'm not doing things as strictly. Trying to stick to below 2,000 calories per day, but not counting them regularly since I have a fair idea what's in what. Not doing any running: since I'm walking to work and back (about a mile and three-quarters each way) when it's not raining, can't be bothered going out to pound the asphalt again. Still sticking to the 5BX plan (Canadian Air Force exercises), with a bit on the dumb-bells every other day.

Not sure if I can be bothered keeping a diary full-time, but...

Wednesday
Breakfast: Cornflakes with skimmed milk and sugar. Tea.
Lunch: Lamb and chickpea soup, small chicken sandwich.
Snack: One chocolate donated at work.
Supper: Steak and Kidney pudding (approx 420 kcal), steamed potato, steamed
veg (carrots, fine beans, asparagus). Dessert: WeightWatchers yoghurt.
Bedtime: Chocodirect drinking chocolate with skimmed milk and a shot of Jack Daniels.
Exercise: 5BX Chart 2 Level B. 3.5 miles walking. Dumb-bells.

Thursday
Breakfast: Coco pops with skimmed milk. Tea.
Lunch: Minestrone & Pancetta soup, small bacon sandwich.
Snacks: three chocolates/sweets donated by coworker back from Dubai
Supper: Heinz Beef Broth Meal Soup (170 kcal), bread, 2 portions of cheese.
Tesco Healthy Living Chocolate Sponge Pudding (220kcal)
Bedtime (projected): Young's London Ale.
Exercise: 5BX Chart 2 Level B. 3.5 miles walking.

What I'm Watching
Elektra. Mediocre martial arts actioner with Jennifer Garner running around in a silly costume hitting people. So, nice concept, but it's dull and slow-moving. The action sequences are unimaginative and poorly staged: they seem to try to distract you by drawing your attention to the backdrops. Plot "twists" are signaled well in advance. Also takes itself far too seriously despite extreme cheesiness. Not totally unwatchable though.

< I am fighting to stay awake. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Coffee Machine That Died of Shame | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You sir, are correct. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 09:57:02 AM EST
I've always felt that way about Jennifer Garner...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.

Heh by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:01:35 AM EST
Redeeming feature.
Amazon links by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 12:21:19 AM EST
Why does Elektra get an Amazon side link, but not the coffee machine?

I've seen pump espresso machines for by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:01:34 AM EST
£25 odd.

Which means you could make hot chocolates and the like with it, too.

<USian>French press</USian> by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:07:54 AM EST
That's a Freedom Press.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Correct metatags added. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 11:01:30 PM EST
<FacistNeoCon>Freedom Press</FacistNeoCon>

Elektra movie blew it by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:26:25 AM EST
She's not supposed to make friends; she's a psychotic ninja assassin. It's sad too, cause the first third of the movie actually showed some promise.

Sorry to hear about coffee machine. by purr (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:29:30 AM EST
I love my coffee and I like my machine.  A cheapy coffee maker at Target with auto shut-off feature to keep me from burning the coffee.

Haven't watched Elektra.  It is way down on my netflix list.

I am not doing the diet thing, but I am making a conscience effort of eating better; whole grains instead of white bread, drinking more milk and eating more yogurt, more veggies less starches.  I say keep a food diary.  I am interested in reading it.
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
buy a stovetop espresso kettle by 256 (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:55:26 AM EST
i love mine.

and that way your "one cup of coffee" can actually be six ounces of espresso. everybody wins.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

What kind do you have? by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 11:30:25 AM EST
I've been thinking about http://www.surlatable.com/common/products/product_details.cfm?PRRFNBR=15819
for a while, but I just can't decide if it is worth it. Does yours do capuccino as well?

We got one of these: by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 11:41:19 AM EST
dual coffee & espresso makers as a wedding gift (bunch of folks went in on it). We love it.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

I had something similar by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 11:57:03 AM EST
but it was too big to leave out on the counters. We have a small place and a coffee maker we really like. I had to put in in our utility room, which meant I never got it out. Having something small means it might actually get used.

i have the $20 version by 256 (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 11:42:32 AM EST
by the same manufacturer. and have no complaints.

though it doesn't do cappuccinos.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Excellent by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 11:53:08 AM EST
If they have a working coffee maker, I'll have to pull the trigger on Capuccino. I've almost bought one about 10 times now. I know what I am doing when my bonus comes out. My wife gets a new bedroom, I get a capuccino maker.

IAWTP by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 10:54:09 PM EST
This is the only way to go. Anything else is just a poor imitation of the coffee goodness a stove top pot can provide.

My mind precisely by thunderbee (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 04:58:07 AM EST
Small, convenient, makes excellent coffee, can be left as-is after use without looking bad. A pain if you make a lot of cups, but perfect for one or two a day.

Well by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 08:06:15 AM EST
I don't mind an espresso later in the day, but in the morning I tend to be both groggy and thirsty. I don't really want to be waiting ten minutes for my electric hob to heat up, just for half a mouthful of grainy gloop.
UPDATE: Add 1 tomato, 1 orange to Thursday by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 11:27:12 AM EST
Further updates as events warrant.
Exercise by Man (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 12:32:44 PM EST
Are you making sure you walk fast enough to keep your heartrate up?

Running is what worked for me, but I can't do it now because of knee troubles.

Knee trouble.... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 11:07:14 PM EST
You may know this already, but what the heck:

-Your running shoes may be not appropiate for how you run. An specialist shop (with real runners as sales clerks) will help you out with that. A good shop will have a gadget or even cameras and computers to check how you are running.

-YOu may need orthopedic insoles to further correct your foot positions.

-You need to strengthen your muscles supporting the knee. Any respectable personal trainer should be able to help you with that.

5BX by Man (4.00 / 2) #15 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 12:44:13 PM EST
You want to be very careful about the situps and (to a lesser extent) the toe-touches as you can really fuck up your back.

Don't do sit-ups by purr (4.00 / 2) #19 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 02:51:17 AM EST
Do crunches.  They are good for your abs and don't hurt your back and neck doing them.
Stick to tea by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 12:22:33 AM EST
Coffee is vulgar.

You eat a lot of processed food. What about stir-fry, home-made curries, non-processed meat?  On the other hand you snack a lot less than me (I've been terrible for snacking since I gave up smoking).

The walking's a good thing. I do 6 miles a day, doesn't really burn off much weight but I suspect I'd be a proper fat bastard if I didn't.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Well by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 08:09:29 AM EST
I don't really cook. Though last time I mentioned it there didn't seem to be a consensus on what counts as cooking.
Buy a blender. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 11:12:48 PM EST
Then you can make fruit smoothies (a few strawberries, one banana, half a glass of fruit juice, you'll be surprised how satisfying it is) smoothies and soups in minutes.

Make pasta, many decent sauces can be cooked in 10 or 15 minutes from raw stuff.