Print Story The stuff
By barooo (Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 06:45:18 AM EST) (all tags)

Getting over my bird flu, shaving, bowling, cohabitation, and car shit

So I picked up a pretty nasty case of the bird flu last week and spent most of the week sucking on lozenges for my sore throat, then sneezing, sniffling, and sleeping.  Over the weekend it turned into a nasty chest cough, but lots of mucinex and robitussin seems to have put it on the ropes.  I'm still coughing up foul-tasting chunks of stuff but the worst seems to be behind me.  It's put a damper in my running though.

So in an effort to try and be clean shaven for work every day, I bought a braun synchro 7526 shaver at tarjhay.  I like it.  Doesn't shave as close as a blade and you have to go over and over the area being shaved and it's just generally not an enjoyable process, but it does seem to leave my skin less irritated, which was the idea.  If I shave 3 days in a row with a blade my fase is just raw, but 3 days in a row with this and it's just marginally itchy.  Overall, 8/10 but I should have held out for the Activator which has a better foil design and supposedly doesn't make you go over and over quite as much.

My car developed an intermittend CEL last week.  It seems to have gone off for good, but I don't know what was causing it.  Coincidentally, it was on my first tank of biodiesel (B20) so my theory is that the biodiesel broke some crap loose in my fuel system that fouled a sensor or something, and after a few "italian tune-ups" (e.g running it at high RPM's for a bit) it got betta.

I got to use the new saw.  Sadly, not for anything cool.  I used it to cut up the holiday shrubbery so it'd fit in garbage bags.  Works much better than the circular saw for this task, but a chainsaw would be better

The hvac duct above my desk is vibrating/rattling something awful.  The hvac guys are up there now trying to figure out how to stop the rattling, but aside from having one of them stay on the ladder holding the vibrating bracket, they aren't having much luck.

So I want a macbook pro.  I decided long ago that my next computer will be a mac laptop, and this looks like the one.  The laptop fund is still depleted though, so it will be a while.

I start on $toothpaste this friday.  $ad_agency still hasn't made me a conversion offer, but $toothpaste doesn't allow contractors to bill to their account for more than a week or two so it's just a matter of time.  THe rumour is they're matching my current salary, which is fine by me.  I think I'm going to raid my 401K ($2500) when I leave $contracting_firm, becuase that plus my unpaid vacation puts me about a month away from wiping out my credit card debt, and it makes sense to get rid of the 17% interest debt so that I can replenish the 401K quickly, instead of leaving that money in at around 9% and waiting several more months to pay off the credit card debt.  At that point, once I've replenished the 401K, I can start funding project Acquire MacBook Pro.

Operation Internet Poker isn't going so well.  Overall, I'm down $17.00, or $14 from my last update.  I think my play has improved, but I need to find my fold button when my hand doesn't get there.  But at $0.05/$0.10 levels, even if I keep losing my bankroll will hold out for weeks.

I've got a sore spot near the gumline on my right top molars.  When I floss it hurts like hell, and it's been bugging me for about a week.  My dental visit / xrays from a month ago didn't turn anything up, so I'm not worried, but I'm not sure how to make it quit.

There is a rumour that teh gf's father is going to get the CEO of his bank to let him use the chateau (lodge?  Cabin?  3rd mansion?) in Vail for a 3-day weekend in March.  That would rock the fuck out.  If nothing else we could raid the wine cellar :) (Supposedly he's got about 2500 bottles, some of which go back to the 60's).

< Early | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The stuff | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
If you find some Chateau Petrus by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 06:51:49 AM EST
in that wine cellar, it's nearly undrinkable unless you mix it up as a wine cooler. You'd be doing that CEO a favor.

See, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 07:00:27 AM EST
I don't know where we'd be without your useful advice. You always have something helpful and not obvious to say, and you know so much about everything.

Thanks georgeha, I nearly made a fool of myself serving some Chateau Petrus to some important friends of mine.

Biodiesel. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 06:57:22 AM EST
Not that easy to get hold of commercially in UKia (and also, not as carbon neutral, what with being made of rapeseed oil rather than the leguminous soybean oil), so I'm going to sort out my tax forms (you need to send the government £0.27 per litre used (normal fuel excise duty is £0.47)) and start mixing in 20% straight vegetable oil with my diesel. And maybe if that goes well, go to a 80% vegetable oil/20% petrol (octane) mix. I bought my first batch of 12 litres of oil yesterday (£0.42 a litre at ASDA (UKian WAL★MART)).

poker by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 07:00:04 AM EST
I rarely play, but I've certainly been playing better since I've stopped paying to see the flop (especially early on) with poor hands along with never bluffing (unless I know I can buy the pot from certain people). At a large table bluffing is too risky, there is almost undoubtedly someone with a decent hand.

Re Vail: I am teh jealous. I was just looking at their trail maps last night. High class whitey culture, too fun.

Noam Chomsky: Well, forget about the hippies and so on and so forth.

Poker, Vail by barooo (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 08:32:45 AM EST

Poker: Yeah, I've tightened up a LOT on my starting hand selection.  Unless I'm in BB and can check in, I won't play anything less than about JT offsuit, a pair, or suited connectors.  My losses go something like this: I have a decent set of hole cards, I hit the flop mediumly (like middle pair plus a flush draw) so I bet since you're supposed to bet aggressively when you're ahead, then the turn doesn't help me nor does the river so I'm stuck having put a lot of money into a pot that I'm probably not going to win.

Vail: I don't ski, but even still it's a nearly free trip and I can just goof around and gawk at all the rich people and stuff.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Hoi! Where the fuck's the bowling? by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 11:58:01 PM EST
I CAME HERE FOR BOWLING.

Sorry by barooo (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 06:19:52 AM EST

Forgot about that.  First night of the new season, we split 2/2.  I bolwed crappy, a 118/103/151, but that's good for my handicap if I can continue with last season's numbers (I had about a 180 average over the last 3rd of the season).

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
That's better! by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jan 12, 2006 at 06:50:35 AM EST
Our lanes are all messed up and have been for months.  The oiling machine was knackered, meaning they applied the oil manually - leading to extremely unpredictable lanes, and very very dry middle and back ends.  In the league literally everyone's average plummeted.

Given that I bowl with extremely heavy hook, I was hit hard, and decided to switch to a dead-straight ball instead, figuring that this way if nothing else I'd have consistency across lanes.  Obviously my scores dropped, but they're slowly picking back up again (far harder to get a strike, but far easier to pick up spares - especially the 2-8 and the 3-9, which previously I found nearly impossible).

Now they've got the machine fixed, it seems they're making up for lost time by drenching them.  I think I'll just stick with the straight ball and see what happens.  My league average is probably (I'll have to check, this could be way off) around 130-140 and climbing, which isn't too bad considering I've completely altered my release.  If I can find a good mark for striking without hook then I could be onto something...

The lanes by barooo (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 13, 2006 at 06:16:06 AM EST

Where we bowl are almost perfect for my release when it's working.  I have a very late-breaking hook, but when it does break, it breaks hard.  The lanes are pretty heavily oiled and dry up a bit towards the end which just reinforces my groove.  When I'm on, I can get a lot of strikes or near-strikes, but when I'm off I'm really off.  This week, my ball was hardly breaking at all, but I could tell that I wasn't getting good torque on my release.  Not sure why, but it's been a month since I bowled so it'll come back.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
The stuff | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)