Print Story The Birds and the Bikes
By ChiefHoser (Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 03:44:17 AM EST) (all tags)
So, I killed a bird today...

Not intentionally of course.

I was biking into work this morning down the portion that is straight down a hill, going probably about 50km/h or so (no bike computer so I am guessing a bit) and as I rode past some bushes on the side of the road a small pigeon flew out right in front of me.  I had no time to react so just left of my handle bar or possibly the steering column smacked the bird and down it went. I stopped to see if it was okay, but it just lied there dead as a door nail. So it has now become food for some lucky cat.

The weird thing is, is that this is not the first animal I have run over on my bike. When I was about 8-9 I was biking to a friends house along the sidewalk in front of a car dealership. So there were cars on both sides of the sidewalk and no where for me to go. I was shooting along and out jumps this cat with no distance for me to brake or turn so the cat and I shared the same space for a brief moment. Over the handlebars I went with the bike after me, down I went thinking to myself: "roll into a ball so that the cat doesn't attack me". Kind of a silly statement, but nevertheless it was what went through my head at the time. So upon landing, practically destroying my bike, severely wrecking my wrist and some good road rash (such that I still have scars) I managed to look up and see what happened to the cat. I only hope that it was fine because it was nowhere to be seen, not on the sidewalk or underneath any of the nearby cars.

In lighter news, the wife and I just bought a newer car. We went from a gas guzzling van to a nice responsible toyota tercel which will go forever and a day on a drop of fuel. Coincidentally the day we actually picked up the car was the very day that the fuel prices here in New Scotland went up $0.20/litre CDN. I love it, so much nicer to drive and much nicer on my wallet.

And now here ends the nonsensical rambling.

< my sole contribution to the Katrina discussion | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Birds and the Bikes | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The cat was probably OK by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 04:00:34 AM EST
As you+bike probably didn't weigh enough to seriously injure it. I reckon you didn't see any sign of it because, after that experience, it probably set a land speed record running away from the huge monster that attacked it out of nowhere.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Cat by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 04:03:11 AM EST
I fully expect (and hope) that the cat is okay, but weird thoughts go through your head in out of the ordinary circumstances, especially when you are young.
--------------

Chiefhoser
I hit a chipmunk last year by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 05:14:11 AM EST
I'm not sure if I killed it, although I suspect I did. I was zooming down a hill and it came out of the bushes at the side of the road, right across my path. It got halfway across the road (and out of my path) then, at the last second, reversed direction and ran right under my wheel.

Squirrels by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 06:40:07 AM EST
I have come so close to running over squirrels I am amazed that I have yet to actually run over one.
--------------

Chiefhoser
The pigeon isn't dead by The Fool (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 09:08:23 AM EST
He's just stunned. Probably a Blue Norwegian Pigeon. They stun easily.

Pigeon by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 09, 2005 at 09:50:44 AM EST
While I admittedly did not spend much time at the scene, I moved to pigeon off to the side with my foot and am relatively sure that the stillness of the bird was due to its having kicked the oxygen habit it had had all of its life and not due to a stunning hit.
--------------