Print Story How often do you wash your mug?
Drink
By tps12 (Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 05:17:07 AM EST) tea (all tags)
My tea mug is so grody. It's not like coffee where it stinks afterwards, so I just let it sit there and it builds up sort of brown pateana that will not come off in the dishwasher and requires intense scrubbing which even then does not do such a perfect job. Really I need like a autoclave for this shit.

< Achieve Mediocrity! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How often do you wash your mug? | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
ObIDon'tUseAMugYouInsensitiveEtc by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 05:18:57 AM EST
I think there's some kind of vinegar-based formula that takes care of that issue.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Yes by gpig (4.00 / 4) #3 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 05:24:26 AM EST
Though the recipe is relatively simple. Make up the following recipe:

• vinegar

and give the mug a wipe with it.

Not that I ever bother, of course.
(,   ,') -- eep

directly out of the coffee pot? (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 06:28:10 AM EST

Properly made coffee does not stink by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 05:22:45 AM EST
I rarely wash my coffee mug, and despite the cheap robusta blend used here, it does not stink. Perhaps you're adulterating your coffee with milk or sugar?

I rarely wash my tea mug, and it does not stink.

You think that's bad by webwench (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 05:34:52 AM EST
I didn't go into the office for about a month. When I did have to drive in for some meeting or other, I discovered that I had left office coffee (adulterated with sugar and that powdery fake creamer shit, of course) on my desk for that entire time. Ugh, the mug had to be thrown away, it was uncleanable.

~~~ giving free but really sucky dating advice on web forums since 2001 ~~~

Mug ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 06:00:15 AM EST
My mug holds pens/sharpies/scissors and the likes. I just grab a fresh clean styrofoam cup each and every time I want a drink, be it water, tea or coffee.

environmental rapist (nt) by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 06:07:15 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
i'm embarrassed to say by tps12 (3.00 / 1) #7 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 06:25:52 AM EST
When I first started working, I ran through a whole (200-count or something) package of styrofoam cups before I thought to get a mug. On reflection, the tea on my mug is less disturbing than the blood on my hands.

I broke my mug this morning.... by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 08:32:07 AM EST
In my pre-coffee haze I managed to send it flying onto the floor, shattered.  Now I'm on paper cups until I find a mug at home that doesn't have sharp burrs where the handle used to be attached.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
you could use your slashdot mug <nt> by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 02:40:19 PM EST

you mean *your* slashdot mug? <n.t()> by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 02:55:49 PM EST

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
It's very romantic to let a girl by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 03:34:49 PM EST
use a slashdot mug. Even if it's one of the two only clean ones in the place.
Yes it is... by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 04:16:27 PM EST
even tough I have six mugs in my cupboard, although 2 don't have handles, and two of them are 'not-so-fresh'.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Great. *Now* you tell me... by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 04:29:37 PM EST
I nearly reached for one of those not-so-fresh ones on Sunday.
Freshly "procured" Waffle House mug here by DRFS Rich (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 11:19:50 AM EST
God Bless the South.

Today it's held coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, rinsed sufficiently in between each refill.

- R

Awful Waffle is a five star Restaurant by purr (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Oct 04, 2005 at 11:07:44 AM EST
I love to go to waffle house!  Really I do!
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
Getting multicultural on yo' ass by cam (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 12:46:35 PM EST
Your mug in Strine (Australian) is your face.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

rarely by vardaman (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 12:51:27 PM EST
Indeed, one mug's imagery had found its complement as an unintended effect of my dirtiness, for, having a three-dimensional pig's head protruding out the bottom of it, the grime only made sense.

Any abrasive cleanser will take that right off by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 01:37:44 PM EST
Wash your mug with Comet™, eh?

Just be sure to rinse it out quite well before you make your next cup of tea. And don't do this if your mug is porcelain with a lead based glaze underneath a protective coat. In such a case, the Comet™ will eat through the final coat and allow the tea to leach out the lead from the glaze and you'll go blind.

Cicero, The Republic
ah me by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 08:04:08 PM EST
My enviro-friendly cleaning products are no match. It'll be vinegar or nought, I'm afraid.

Is baking soda enviro-friendly enough for you? by lm (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 02:25:49 AM EST
Try that and a toothbrush.

Cicero, The Republic
A nice bleach and water solution will work by purr (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Oct 04, 2005 at 11:11:48 AM EST
Just don't leave the solution in the cup for more than 5 minutes.  And then you need to thoroughly rinse MUG with warm water and maybe wash it with dish washing liquid or a run through the dish washer.  Good Gosh Oh Mighty, I have been a homemaker for way too long.  That is just sad :(
At least once a week by Canthros (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 05:20:19 PM EST
Sometimes once or twice midweek, as well. I don't care for that patina, because it tends to leach into the tea in the mug. Since I drink a mix of different teas out of the same mug over the course of one day, I don't care for, say, the lapsang souchong to mingle with the green and the oil of bergamot left behind by the morning's Earl Grey. All of which will have managed to pick up the astringency from the previous day's regimen of oversteeped cheap-ass English Breakfast.

With the exception of the Earl Grey, the worst of it can be alleviated by rinsing the mug out once it's emptied and giving it a wipedown with a paper towel. Or a not-so-paper towel, if you're hippy.

I'm not here, man.

multiple teas? by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Sep 26, 2005 at 08:05:24 PM EST
I'm ashamed...I actually finished the box of Lipton bags (intended for iced tea) before buying a new sack of Golden Assam from my local merchant.

The Liquor Barn carries nice-ish loose tea now by Canthros (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 03:02:08 PM EST
Liquor Barn being a chain of large-ish, but decent liquor stores with a presence in this area. Since they have a couple of stores in town, that makes it easier to procure stuff not in bags. Only then, I bought disposable tea bags, because cleaning the filter basket was too big a pain. Ah, well.

They carry some stuff from a local-ish boutique outfit, too, so I have a pound and a half of loose tea in four-ounce tins (most, but not all, from the local blender). The lapsang souchong and some gunpowder green are what I'm going through at the moment.

Otherwise, I stick to Twinings and Stash, with are both acceptably inexpensive and tasty.

I'm not here, man.