Print Story Ask Husi: Things to do in New York when you're dead
Travel
By stark (Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:13:30 AM EST) New York, NY, NYC, cat, kitty, photo, photos (all tags)
... or, to be more precise, on a business trip.

Also: a photo of a cat!

New York, New York
So I'm heading off to meet up with the dullards who created the travesty of a system that I'm going to have to work with for the foreseeable future. Presumably as some sort of compensation I'm staying in The Carlyle. The reviews look good, so hopefully I've get to enjoy a bit of time there away from the office.

As it is, I have no idea how much time I'm going to be working for. I'll be at an office just on the Avenue of the Americas (near West 52nd St) during the day. I'm flying out of Heathrow Sunday afternoon, arriving 9pm in JFK, working Monday - Thursday and flying out of JFK on Thursday evening.  I suspect that at least one evening will be spent with my boss who is coming along with me, and at least one with him and some of the developers / managers of the project.

Ask Husi: if I get any time to myself to wander around NY: what should I see? Anywhere that I shouldn't take my camera? Any local knowledge that people want to pass on?

Cat
You were warned:

< Question for the girlies ONLY | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask Husi: Things to do in New York when you're dead | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You can get this ticket for $50 by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:26:30 AM EST
Allows you to go to the usual tourist things like top of the Empire State building, an aircraft carrier museuim (quite good), MOMA, Natural History Museum, a tour around Manhattan island by boat and the Guggenheim. Pretty good value.

Good stuff by stark (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 04:28:11 AM EST
I probably won't have the time to hit many of these but it might be worth a go.

Also, my gf is heading out to NY early next year for a week of shopping and doing touristy stuff, so this would definately be a go for her. Cheers!

U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

If you have time during the day by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 03:18:00 AM EST
Try to get to the observation deck of the Empire State building. Natural History museum. Central Park.

New York has at least as many great restaurants as London. Try to eat out in a good one every night. Ask the locals you're working with which places they like.

Tow things you have to do: Dinner somewhere in Little Italy, lunch at a Real New York Deli.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Sounds good! by stark (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 04:25:17 AM EST
This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'll try and sneak off for an hour or two to do the Empire State building.

I hope that we'll be trying out a few decent restaurants for dinner. A Real New York Deli is also a good plan...

Don't forget the bagels by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 05:08:20 AM EST
Gotta get Real Bagels while you're there.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Awwwwwwww! Kitty! by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 03:49:37 AM EST

Indeed by stark (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 04:25:54 AM EST
She's a pretty little cat, it has to be said.
Not to mention an extraordinarily fine picture! by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 04:56:27 AM EST

Whythankyouverymuchgoodsir [n/t] by stark (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 05:54:35 AM EST