Print Story Anyone Make a PCI to LPT card w/ Jumpers?
By haplopeart (Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 09:09:46 AM EST) (all tags)
I miss the old days before Plug and Pray sometimes.  In general its been good for most part, but there just come times when I wish we had not so quickly abandoned the old ways.

If you know of One, or want to know why I need one see below.

My wife is currently trying to migrate her setup off her older machine and on to a newer faster one.  She is no slouch when it goes to these things, but of course would never actually admit to it.

She has a fairly complicated setup of equipment on the old machine tied to the Parallel Ports...yes plural she has two.  Here is why:

On Port 1 she has an HP multifunction machine, Fax, Print, B&W scan...works well she loves it.

On Port two she has a ZIP drive and a Parallel Port Scanner.  Its doing the ZIP drive daisy chain thing, its also working well.

She has this older equipment, its all in good working condition, neither of us see any reason to upgrade....except.

So, to move to the new machine we needed to add a second LPT port, just like in the old one.  Thats Board still had an ISA slot, NO problem.  The new one is entirely PCI, problem.  We can't find one Damn PCI card that will setup the port at the Old LPT ports standard settings which the daisy chained combo is demanding in order to work.  The Older multifunction device is also demanding that it be on the Old standard addresses.  So Plug and Play just doesn't hack it here.  XP will not allow us to change the settings the option to do so is grayed out.

Thus I wonder if there exists a card which I can hard set its properties and tell Play and Play to go away.

< Should I donate as a UKian? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Anyone Make a PCI to LPT card w/ Jumpers? | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It might be ugly by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 09:25:11 AM EST
But what about one of those LPT switch boxes? They used to make digital switching ones that would scan like 50 times a second or whatever so you didn't actually have to manually switch. Certain devices were notorious for hating this kind of setup, but might be worth a shot.

I'm suprised that a PCI LPT card would be so hard to find. CompUSA.com seems to have some listed, maybe you just have to order one online?

Hmmm by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 10:29:30 AM EST
I'm pretty sure switches will not work in a passthrough configuration.  The switch would always default to the first device in the parallel chain, and would never reach the second.

Gedvondur
"Too bad no one makes some sort of Febreeze for Beards."--MNS

Ahh, good point by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 10:50:30 AM EST
I must have read past that part, I assume that negates anything you can get at CompUSA as well.

Honestly I'd say it's just time to upgrade the peripherals. A good USB multi-function that does all that wouldn't be that expensive, and seriously, why would anyone still need a Zip drive these days?

Yeah, we have found a few.... by haplopeart (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 06, 2005 at 08:08:16 AM EST
...They all suffer from the same problem, XP PnP configures them to what it wants and doesn't allow you to reconfigure them...

You are screwed by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 10:01:26 AM EST
I would check used computer stores, that is your only hope.  New PCI parallel port cards are extremely hit or miss in regards to daisy-chaining.  Even the old chipsets where hit and miss about this.  I don't think they have made jumper-cards for parallel in at least five years.

As to the equipment you have, I know you don't want to hear it, but it's the truth.

You have old junk.  Throw it out.

It doesn't matter if it works or not.  It doesn't matter if she likes it or not.   You don't keep a car after it begins to give you non-stop trouble no matter how much you like it.

You can get a USB flash drive that is bigger than the ZIP disks and probably cheaper than blanks.  Hell, CD_RW would be better and cheaper.  A new scanner will be 1000x better than the one you have and faster to boot.

A multi-function printer is cheap.

All the time and effort you spend trying to get all that old crap to run is a waste.   It will NEVER be quite right again, and every minute you spend trying to make it right is wasted.

That being said, Jameco might have close to what you need.

Gedvondur
"Too bad no one makes some sort of Febreeze for Beards."--MNS

Glad To See by Improbus (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 11:59:59 AM EST
You are keeping it real, yo.  I whole heartedly agree with Gedvondur on this one.  Through the junk out and buy USB devices.  Thank us later.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
Ha! Thats what I think too... by haplopeart (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Sep 06, 2005 at 08:10:06 AM EST
...however you'll never, and I'll never get her to believe that...

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Sep 06, 2005 at 08:41:26 AM EST
Then tell her that its her problem to get them to run, and if it's your problem, then she has to accept your solution.

Heh, good luck.

Gedvondur
"Too bad no one makes some sort of Febreeze for Beards."--MNS

Beg, borrow or steal by komet (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 10:14:00 AM EST
an old 2 port ISA parallel card. I actually have a 4 port ISA LPT here, but I'm too far away from you. But I'm sure someone near you has one in his basement.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
oh wait by komet (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 10:31:52 AM EST
I have piss poor reading comprehension. Never mind.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Cool! by haplopeart (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Sep 06, 2005 at 08:14:47 AM EST
...My reply to the first message was going to be...I have a pile of old ISA cards...if only the machine had ISA slots.

She was lamenting the fact that new boards don't have ISA slots anymore.  I responded, that hell, PCI slots are on thier way out now!

One other choice to consider by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 10:50:10 AM EST
There are parallel to USB port converter cables out there. No more daisy-chaining and you don't have to worry about getting an extra card to work.

Yeah we have considered that as well. by haplopeart (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Sep 06, 2005 at 08:17:13 AM EST
However the problem is that the older equipment's drivers are pretty much demanding that the port communicate on the Old hardware addresses and we have been unable to find out if the USB to Parallel cables can be setup to talk on those addresses.

Have you tried calling any of the old standbys? by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 02, 2005 at 03:41:30 PM EST
I'm thinking specifically of JDR Microdevices, American Science & Surplus and Toronto Surplus and Scientific. You probably have some sort of local place that compares. When I lived up in Dayton, we had a groovy electronics graveyard called Mendelsons. You could find just about anything there and if you couldn't, if you waited a week and went back, they probably had one or hundred of whatever you were looking for that had just come in.

Oh, and call them rather than just browsing. In my experience, most of these places have a fairly knowledgeable staff. If they don't have what you're looking for, they can probably tell you were to look to find it.

Also, consider posting a wanted to buy message to USENET.

Cicero, The Republic
I've never seen a PCI parallel card with jumpers. by grendel (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Sep 03, 2005 at 05:23:46 AM EST
But have you tried setting the onboard LPT port to the particular settings you need in the BIOS? Then you can leave the PCI add in card at whatever defaults it wants.

I think someone allready mentioned a USB to parallel adapter, I've had bad luck with them in the past. But USB performance has really improved over the last couple years, so it may be worth a try.

-G