Print Story Karma?
Politics
By CwazyWabbit (Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:01:14 AM EST) (all tags)
One evening a few weeks ago I waited at a bus stop. It had been a long day at work and the bus route back home had dropped to an hourly service. While I sat in the shade of a shelter a mild breeze chilled me.

With half an hour until mine was due I spotted a bus of the same route approaching from the wrong direction. Knowing that the bus takes about 15 minutes to get to the end of the route and deciding that sitting on it would be warmer and slightly less boring, I scampered across the road to meet it. Managing to run in front of it and not get flattened (Gonzo had too much influence on me as a child) I got on.

"If you want to go the other way mate, the next one is along in a minute."
"The timetable says it's half an hour."
"This bus is going out of service. Once it gets to the end of the route, it's not coming back."
"Oh right, well I'll just go a few stops then."
"Your bus will be along any minute, I'd wait if I were you."
"Well, OK ..."

Off the bus, watch it go and then back to the bus stop which now felt even chillier.

Half an hour later, the same bus with the same driver comes back. As I get on, he mutters "The other bus broke down". I go home.

Normally, I'd assume he was just an idiot. The timetable made it pretty clear that his bus was the one coming back in half an hour and that there was not another for an hour each side.

However, a few weeks before that I had been standing just behind him as he almost drove into a cyclist. This being on Cambridge's Hills Road, the cyclist was in his own cycle lane and the bus had enough (not lots, but enough) room to drive in its own lane past him. The bus driver didn't seem to appreciate that he had actually driven over the line into the cycle lane, which I clearly could see through the front window.

"Black twat!" he exclaimed [1]. Turning to an old lady by the door "That's the problem with them, bring 'em over and they're fucking useless". She does the old lady smile-and-nod. He carries on with a statement as to how this country needs the NF.

I found this all pretty surprising as I had just got on the bus and was standing just back from his cab.

Getting off the bus, he seemed pretty polite to me (called me "mate"). I then made a new friend by asking the woman who turns out to work in the same building as me (different company) if I should report him. She said I should, but I never got around to it; I used the excuse that it wouldn't change anything, but at least was honest enough to say I didn't want any hassle with my only means of getting to work too.

I found it an interesting reflection on an old conversation where we talked about how hard it can be to spot racism. I think I'd posted with the assumption that I always could. Now I am wondering if I'm missing it, chalking up odd behaviour to people just being incompetent rather than passive aggressive. Thinking like that probably leads to chronic paranoia though.

Of course, the driver might just have been a fuckwit[2] and really thought his advice was helpful.

Whatever, I probably deserved to chill for not reporting him.

1. I can not swear this is exactly what he said due to the time since, but I'm not exaggerating.

2. How is "fuckwit" not in the HuSi spellchecker? Not two words, surely?

< Enola Gay, you should've stayed at home .... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Karma? | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Why report him? by xth (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:07:46 AM EST
What about SAYING something, you spineless so-and-so.

[Thanks for your interest in xth's comments. This accont is now spent]
Entirely true |nt by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:32:56 AM EST

I'm really surprised he said it in front of you by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:16:15 AM EST
Obviously not the brightest biscuit in the barrel, but then racists seldom are.

Reporting him: unless you have another witness I doubt there would be much point. However, there is always the chance that loads of people have reported him before you and this time would be the last straw.

I dunno, I preach away but never get round to it. I saw a bloke chase another bloke down the street with a machete a couple of months ago, got his car registration number and everything, and just plain couldn't be arsed.

An hour wait for a bus! Invest in a bike... Oh yeah then get mown down by a mad racist bus driver.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Grr, I knew I missed something by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:39:44 AM EST
One thing I find interesting about racists is that they can be quite specific. Generally, asians don't seem to always get quite the same hatred as black people, perhaps because we're thought of in a different way.

The other thing is the double think that allows my family (settled in the 60s) as entirely different to more recent immigrants. Not like there was a cut off point in time for acceptable levels of immigration, but as though migration now is an entirely different thing.

That comes from people's general view of the past being less advanced but somehow better than the way things are now (e.g. provision v standard of education).

It can be the other way round as well by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:52:34 AM EST
Black and Asian I mean, especially up north. Heard it a lot when I was a kid - "The blacks are alright but them pakis...."

There is slight hope to be found in the way immigrants become more accepted the longer they stay here, it says it's not about skin colour but rather boundaries of language and culture.

Doesn't stop it from being deeply unpleasant though.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I guess it could just be the perceived by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:30:42 AM EST
majority immigrant group. Maybe my perception came from growing up in an area with relatively few asians.

It's quite likely by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:40:00 AM EST
I think it could also be how settled a community is, again. The West Indian community in Leeds is older than the Asian community, which arrived in the 70s.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

recent immigrants by monkeymind (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 06:01:59 AM EST
One of the things i find strange about racism here in Oz is that some of the worst I have ever comae across are often the 1st generation children of immigrants. Some of the strongest voices against Asian Immigration to this country in the 70's & 80's were the children of WWII European immigrants.

"So let me get this strait. It was OK for your family to come here, fleeing war in Europe, to make a new life for yourselves but it is not OK for the Vietnamese to do the same?"

Point to consider by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 07:17:14 AM EST
Those of us surprised by nuances of racism are guilty of prejudging based on stereotypes ;)

point taken [nt] by monkeymind (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 08:10:38 AM EST

It applied to me as well! |nt by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 08:25:51 AM EST

The hardest prejudices to see by monkeymind (4.00 / 1) #34 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 08:28:33 AM EST
are always our own.

Look me in the eye and see if I'm kidding by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:41:16 AM EST
I've just lost a bushel of respect for you.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Fair enough by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:45:58 AM EST
In my defence, I was on my way to the pub.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Oh, was it a weekend? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:51:24 AM EST
If so, that's OK then.  At the weekend, attempted murder gets downgraded to "'aving a bit of a laaark".

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You're just making me feel worse by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:11:05 AM EST
Which I deserve I suppose.

It was a bad decision, made on the fact that past well-intentioned decisions have led to complete farce.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

It seems par for the course by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 2) #15 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:39:31 AM EST
[Where normal does not mean right]

An ex was a witness to a kidnapping and didn't report anything. My own experience of being mugged on a train and the other passengers not even getting off to press the help button or making a statement later (counterpoint: one tried to stop the muggers, gave up as there were a couple of them) shook my faith in people.

I feel really bad now [nt] by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 04:28:10 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Sorry by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 04:40:15 AM EST
Not intentional

Kill him by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 02:21:58 AM EST
Using violence to get what you want is the new black.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Racism by theboz (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:04:29 AM EST
I had to deal with a bit of it myself yesterday, but not in something I depend on. The fuckheads at a kebab place I tried yesterday apparently have a "don't serve Americans" policy. At first I thought I was paranoid or just imagining things, but when six or seven people who came in after me were served their food before me, even though four of them ordered the exact same thing I had ordered previously. I ended up walking out and I'll never go back there, which was apparently their intent.
- - - - -
Where was this? by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:11:00 AM EST
NT

Houston, TX by theboz (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:56:13 AM EST
I believe the owners are Pakstani, not that it really casts anything bad on their whole country as I've had good friends from there.
- - - - -
One imagines by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 04:01:08 AM EST
that an anti-American policy would hurt a business there. Is it stuck in a "cultural quarter" or something?

Not really by theboz (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 05:14:16 AM EST
It's in a somewhat busy part of Houston. I've actually gone in there before and got great service, but I think the place switched owners at some point and now is run by a bin Laden wannabe or something. I've always had a weird vibe in there but now the friendly people that used to run it are gone, so there's no reason for me to ever go back. There are tons of kebab places around, it's just that one was good and it is close to where I live. The one I ended up going to is a few miles away.
- - - - -
It fucks with your head by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:36:18 AM EST
Sometimes it feels like it would be easier if they just spat in your face or something so at least then you don't wonder. At least you missed getting it in your food.

Never thought of it that way [nt] by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:41:21 AM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Very true by theboz (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 03:57:04 AM EST
Actually, after I walked out, I drove to a place that was further, but with good food and very nice people. In fact, every time we go there the woman tells my wife how beautiful she is.
- - - - -
On racism. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 05:15:21 AM EST
Off on a tangent, the partner of a colleague came in to pick her up the other day and reported this interesting fact:
I was driving round the corner [onto the yard where our warehouse/office is] and there was a big freezer truck coming out. I expected it to be a normal bloke driving, but he was Chinese.
Amazing, they let Chinese people drive freezer trucks. At least it beats my boss, who has a degree and refers to them as Chinks, as in "we'll borrow a forklift off the Chinks". Also, when he borrows a forklift off white people, he gives them £20. This is not seen as necessary for others. <big fucking sigh>

ke ke ke by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #25 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 05:16:42 AM EST
Original attempt at posting this gave the following error, three times. Amused me.
Your HTML has the following errors : Attribute FUCKING for tag BIG is not allowed Attribute SIGH for tag BIG is not allowed No closing tag found for opening tag BIG

Chinks, pakis and niggers by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 05:42:25 AM EST
Of course you can use those names if you belong to those groups. But not if you are "normal" sigh (catching).

Actually I remember a guy coming round to our house telling a funny story which involved an asian bloke who turned out to have an east end accent. Being an asian raised in London, I kind of smiled and probably made him feel uncomfortable.

I found that asians in Manchester seemed more integrated in certain ways, and a local accent was not such a novelty. It would appear to be due to the communities having been in northern cities longer and larger groups.

SCamBus/Stageroach by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 07:16:23 AM EST

Why did I wonder if this was Cambridge related before I'd even looked at the body text? Maybe the Poles they're importing will actually be able to drive...

lol what by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 07:24:28 AM EST
I have noticed a lot of training going on, say a trainee driver every other week or so recently. Poles? I thought Cambridge hated travellers right now. This is dizzying.

Pay peanuts... by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #32 Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 08:18:51 AM EST