Print Story The Marquess of Queensbury
By ana (Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 05:55:59 AM EST) (all tags)
Now that's what I call a title.

Inside:

• Great Moment[s] in Physics Education.1
  • The Eagle Screams on Friday Night

-----
1 Attention DU Infidel: don't try this at home!

One day while we were studying electrostatics in the 2nd semester intro physics class, the prof had a Van de Graff generator set up on the demonstration bench in the lectur hall. This is a gadget that can charge the upper dome to several kilovolts.

He stood at a respectful distance of a couple meters, and began to describe the inner workings of the gadget. Whilst waving his arms, at one moment he was pointing at the dome. As we had learned, the electric field around his finger, what with the small radius of curvature, was very large, and sure enough...

ZATTTTT!

He quietly and slowly put his hands in his pockets, put his head down, walked to the opposite corner of the room, leaned up against the wall, and waited for a long moment.

"Last year," he said at last, "I promised myself I'd never do that again."

I recall hearing someone in my father's generation lamenting the fact that colorful phrases like "The Eagle screams on Friday night" were becoming meaningless. And that "The computer burps" just doesn't have the same heft to it.

Been doing physical therapy for a sore shoulder. There's this stabbing sensation in the back of the joint from time to time when I reach for stuff, especially behind me. Like the comb in my back pocket. Or the map in the back seat of the car.

Turns out, shoulders are really complicated gadgets. And that some of the small muscles in my rotator cuff, whose job seems to be to hold the ball in the socket, and rotate the arm in certain circumstances, are kind of weak and sore. So there are some gentle exercises to help strengthen them and improve my range of motion. I think it's helping, but sometimes it's hard to tell what's a shoulder problem and what's coming from the typing injuries in my wrists and elbows.

Nuff for now.

< Yes, Hello | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Marquess of Queensbury | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Physics profs by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 06:21:24 AM EST
My 2nd semester intro to physics professor was much the same way.  Every week, he'd do a demonstration...  twice.  Monday, he'd do a demonstration that inevitably caught fire, exploded, broke, fell apart, backfired, shorted or collapsed.  By the Wednesday class, he usually had it right.

The day he had the Van de Graff generator set on his desk at the front, there wasn't a student sitting in the first 6 rows.

Random physics stuff.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 06:41:50 AM EST
odd parallel, in another tab, saw this link.. flying objects in the MRI room..

Saw that, yeah. by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 06:47:41 AM EST
That first picture of the chair attempting to enter the MRI machine cavity is cute.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

I had to blow off my Physical Therapist appt by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 07:16:49 AM EST
yesterday, I was literally the only one who could get a job to $product so the developers could investigate and possible keep me from being sent to bluegrass land as cannon fodder. My knee may end up killing me, but if it avoids a useless trip, it was worth it.

Why did the Eagle scream? by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 03:35:55 PM EST
This reminds me of an incident from freshman year of college, on the occasion of the "Screw Your Roommate" dance (your roommate sets you up with your date for the dance). Friend of mine concocted an elaborate scenario for his roommate to find his date, incorporating the exchange of code phrases such as "The duck flies at midnight," to which the response was "Muenster cheese! I like muenster cheese!"

Why do I remember this stuff?

Its becoming increasing difficult to believe, in the modern world, that anything outside of reality television, media trials, Medieval Total War and grapefruit are actually real. --coillte

Had to do with by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 19, 2005 at 03:44:12 PM EST
being paid in gold, I think, waaaay back when. Eagles and double-eagles were $10 and $20 coins.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco