Print Story Whatever
By spacejack (Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:22:05 AM EST) (all tags)
Random stuff diary. Some links.

Poll: What was your political/religious upbringing?

So it looks like I may not be back at work on Monday, on account of a STRIKE. I swear the union comes off like a bunch of entitlement freaks. We do not work in a coal mine where workers are dying of cave-ins or lung diseases, nor is it the only job around for thousands of miles, where the whole town is pwnd by a single company. It doesn't help much that I'll be prevented from working, for a cause I really don't have much to gain from (and in fact, probably will lose from). If it actually goes down, I think I may be forced to write a hole-y rant in lieu of working on Monday.

This is cool: Saul Bass movie titles. I think Spartacus was my favourite. Or Seconds. Too bad they're stills rather than videos, but at least you can get an idea of the visual design. I have to check out some of the others yet...

Looks like they're making Daniel Clowes' Art School Confidential into a movie. SEE: Rich guys who draw worse than your seven year-old sister! Indeed. This was probably my single favourite comic when I was in art school. Cause it was so true. I should write a "rich guys playing artiste" rant someday. Dunno if there's much point opening up old wounds would be though.

What else? No biking news I can think of. So vote in my poll.

< Friday crapflood. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Whatever | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
those rich artist sorts by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:25:34 AM EST
one of us had a starter marriage to one of those sorts, though I think he's making a modest living making artistic steel furniture, though he may be subsidized by his rich family.

Raised democrat Catholic, but not so Catholic as to go to a Catholic school.

to this day by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:29:10 AM EST
I believe all my rich friends working as artists are still heavily parentally subsidized. They're nice people though... they tend not to get stressed out much.

Well, yeah by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:43:54 AM EST
What do they have to stress about? Their black beret fading in the wash?

This unfair and sarcastic comment brought to you by the letter F.

To this day by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:27:18 AM EST
I have no idea how my parents vote.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Usually they give them a pencil, and they make a by xth (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:31:05 AM EST
cross on the ballot paper.

Sorry.

[Thanks for your interest in xth's comments. This accont is now spent]

It always amazes me by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:31:39 AM EST
when people tell me that. I can't imagine it.

+1, top Saul Bass link by xth (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:30:00 AM EST
Half arsed catholic until 12 (mass at Xmas + Easter, occasionally more).
Then mum got a new boyfriend who turned me Communist, i.e., the same under a different name.

[Thanks for your interest in xth's comments. This accont is now spent]
+1 by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:33:05 AM EST
Equates Catholicism and Communism.

Believe it or not... by xth (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:35:07 AM EST
...after 40 years of fighting each other, they are now in the same party.

[Thanks for your interest in xth's comments. This accont is now spent]
My upbringing by webwench (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:39:34 AM EST
was both apolitical and nonreligious.

In fact, it's fairly safe to say I had very little real upbringing at all.

I Heart Stanley Kubrick by frijolito (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:44:16 AM EST
And an interesting link. Hey, I share my name with that guy!

My mother converted to protestantism from catholicism when I was maybe 7, so that means I converted too. My father never actually told us if he was an atheist, but he never ever set foot in a church even though he answered "catholic" when we asked what religion he adhered too.

So I went to the Xtian church for 10+ years, until I was 19 and turned into one of those people that never seem to make up their minds if they believe there's a G*D or not. God I hate those people.

well by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:59:16 AM EST
Being raised athiest, and being mostly ignorant to the details of Christianity, Judaism or any other religion I must say it's all a bit odd to me.

In fact, until I started reading teh Internet, I had no idea there was any real philosophical foundation behind it whatsoever. Or at least, I was unaware of the elaborate construction that's evolved over the past few thousand years. All I knew was that some (a minority) of the Christians I knew seemed to actually be good hearted and do charitable things. But there were also those who'd ridicule my childhood interest in dinosaurs.

The odd time I'm in a church or see services going on, I just feel weird... like one might feel at a scientology meeting I guess. At the same time I wonder if the world would be a much nastier place if it weren't for religion. Or a nicer place. Hard to say.

Raised atheist? Interesting! by frijolito (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 11:35:36 AM EST
I've never met anyone who's been an atheist since conception. Even though I stopped believing in Santa and Geezus a while ago, I still think that it was a good thing for me to have had in childhood/early adolescence my belief in a magical man in the sky, since it helped me through some rough times.

And I understand how you must feel. It's gotta be like I feel when I go to catholic church (hell, or even protestant church.. it's been so long since I went to a service).

But those parents of yours sound awesome! It must be cool growing up in a family without magical silly beliefs.

kind of by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 12:02:03 PM EST
But they also had pretty radical politics. It's complicated :)

I guess by frijolito (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 12:05:47 PM EST
.. everyone needs their radical beliefs. In whatever.

since this keeps sounding familiar to me.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 12:19:45 PM EST
Soviet immigrants, by any chance? And Jews at that..

heh by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 12:28:01 PM EST
Sorta close. On my dad's side yes (not Jewish though), but he's 2nd generation Canadian. Further radicalized no doubt by my grandfather's early death due to silicosis of the lungs acquired from working in terrible factory conditions. My mom is 2nd generation Finnish, but pretty much adopted my dad's beliefs.

You wouldn't believe my upbringing by theboz (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 08:45:43 AM EST
Or maybe you would. In any case, I am completely different from how I was raised to be.
- - - - -
I'll show you mine by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 09:02:58 AM EST
Communist-athiest (I guess the athiest part is redundant though.) Have since slipped to green/libertarian-leaning agnostic.

Well, it was weird by theboz (4.00 / 2) #16 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 10:21:37 AM EST
I grew up in a fairly weird Christian religious cult, which of course supported the Republicans and stockpiled weapons because they believed that communists were going to invade and that Satan was controlling their strings and that the Russians were possessed by demons. I am not exaggerating. It is pretty weird growing up with the belief that the devil is watching your ever move and waiting for you to make one little mistake like not being polite enough to people, which would allow him to kill you.
- - - - -
So isn't that by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #19 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 10:34:30 AM EST
typical USian upbringing then? :)

Heh, fortunately not by theboz (4.00 / 3) #20 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 10:50:50 AM EST
The average ubringing here is much less involved and with a lot less thinking. Imagine if consumerism was 100% of what your life was focused on. That's life in the U.S. It's all about buying the right products, how cool the latest advertising is, and how we have to work hard at keeping things going so we can earn enough money to buy more stuff. Religion may enter in there, but it's not as high a priority for most as consumerism is.
- - - - -
How did you manage to escape Waco? [nt] by xth (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 03:37:51 PM EST

[Thanks for your interest in xth's comments. This accont is now spent]
hey, by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 10:28:31 AM EST
That's my upbringing. You thief!

and end result too (nt) by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 10:28:56 AM EST

WIPO: far right democrat by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 09:20:17 AM EST
I had a dad who was democrat his whole life but was probably more conservative than ol' Gengis Khan.

my dad is an atheist by 256 (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 12:25:45 PM EST
who would quite happily vote Democrat in the states but is a swing liberal/conservative here in canada.

my mom is a "spiritual" christian type who doesn't attend church. She professes to believe in God but won't tell you what she means by the word.

she used to vote liberal, but these days i suspect she votes NDP.

my sisters and i were raised without any religion. i think it was a condition of the marriage on my dad's part.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Guess what . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #27 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:06:58 PM EST
God sucks.

that reminds me by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:34:12 PM EST
I didn't yet reply, but I'm planning to come to your going away drinks party. Post a reminder diary just beforehand so we don't forget!

Religion's a wierd thing. A good brainfuck if nothing else.

I will remind all about drinks . . . by slozo (4.00 / 2) #31 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:45:32 PM EST
. . .Konrad LIKEY drinky. m m m m mmmmmm. . . .beer . . . .

aghwagahwaaghhgwa

upbringing by 606 (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:29:13 PM EST
My family is officially Catholic though none of us have attended church services since our respective baptisms. It was all done to appease my grandparents on my father's side.

My father hates all forms of organized religion, though I don't know if he's atheist.

My mother, though originally a Catholic, became disenchanted in her late teens and was agnostic. She became a Jehovah's Witness for a while, much to the chagrin of my father, but the reasons for this were complicated. One of her friends was a JW, and I think she just wanted companionship. The JW's cult-like techniques are very powerful and I think they sort of brainwashed her, but thankfully the power was broken when our family moved away from that friend. Now she's very quiet about her religious beliefs but she's at least agnostic.

And all the kids, myself included, we're agnostic, though I think slowly I'm becoming a mystic.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

cool by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #30 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:37:47 PM EST
Does it involve drugs of any kind?

not yet by 606 (4.00 / 1) #33 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:53:27 PM EST
I figured out a form of meditation that just works for me. It's hard to explain. I read this book a few years ago called The Power of Now where the author talks a lot about transcending the ego, accepting the reality of the present, a lot of that becoming one with the universe stuff that many eastern religions are on about. For some reason the book struck a chord with me. I practiced letting go, becoming one with the universe... man this all sounds so cheesy but I don't know how else to explain it.

And one day I was riding on the train and I was looking at this tree and all of a sudden I was seeing this tree in a way I had never seen a tree before. I saw its complexity, the thousands of leaves, the hundreds of branches, the way it swayed in the wind, the way is took up space. I was filled with euphoria, I felt pins and needles on my neck. For the first time in my life I could really see the tree: intead of saying "that's a tree," I could say "the tree is."

Pretty soon after that I decided that what I was experiencing was God-- God is in everything, God is everything, God makes the world go.

And then it was a simple jump to reinterpret the meaning of the Garden of Eden. By choosing to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, Adam and Eve were granted the power of the ego. They could say "that tree is good, but that tree over there is not as good". No longer could they simply accept that a tree was, now it had a value. So to achieve oneness with God one has to transcend the valuation of things to see that there is only one thing: God.

Anyway, yeah... so I haven't needed to use drugs to attain this, but I think they might help in opening the doors of perception. Weed sometimes helps but only if you have the presence of mind to stay disciplined while it's working, and that's hard to do.

ni recommended I try 5-HPT. I tried it once and got really anxious mostly because I was nervous. I'm still experimenting with it.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

raised catholic by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #32 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 02:48:49 PM EST
confirmed catholic, though mostly just to get my grandparents off my back. i havent been to church much since. oddly enough, it was confirmation class itself that made me decide i really didn't want to be catholic, because we learned about some stuff that my morals don't allow me to agree with.
------

Uh Huh by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Aug 12, 2005 at 09:32:47 PM EST
It sure sounds like you are on drugs.  But go ahead anyway,  Enlightenment is it's own reward.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
Whatever | 35 comments (35 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback