Print Story Keeping the spiders away
Internet
By whazat (Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 05:55:42 AM EST) (all tags)
What with the kerfuffle over privacy on the web. Perhaps it is time we got a better solution.

robots.txt is supposed to deal with stopping crawlers looking at pages they are not supposed to. Yet with lots of content being published by mere second class netizens on others websites, such as the fine site that hulver runs here, the web admin does not know which pages should be hidden because of sensitive information.

I propose a non-standard standard where people mark there sensitive information with code such as the following.

<p class="private"> </p>

Which would work fine if people allowed you to use the class attribute in <p>, sigh.

< So, don't know if you've heard | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Keeping the spiders away | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
There is "TEH HOEL!!!111one" for you by theboz (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 05:57:41 AM EST
If you want privacy, post in "The Hole" where you have to be logged in to see it.
- - - - -
Yeah but Google ads still sees it by Rush Gorden (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 06:00:43 AM EST
when you click on a comment on The Hole. It then displays Google ads based on the content of the comment thread. If Google can see it enough to place an ad, who else can see it?

"But the LORD is with me like a mighty warrior; so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced; their dishonor will never be forgotten." - Jeremiah 20:11
Baby Jesus? (N/T) by theboz (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 09:16:19 AM EST

- - - - -
Baby Jesus can see everything by Rush Gorden (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 09:49:23 AM EST
and he wants to talk to you about your annoying nightly habits of yours that makes him cry.

Oops by theboz (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 10:57:13 AM EST
I thought that only my wife and I knew that sometimes I don't turn on the light in the bathroom when I wake up to take a midnight piss. I do try to clean it up myself though.
- - - - -
Good answer by Rush Gorden (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 02:57:52 PM EST
and thanks for playing. Next time lift the seat up, before taking a piss.

Alternative suggestion by Cloaked User (4.00 / 5) #3 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 06:14:13 AM EST
Don't post "sensitive" information in public.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Go away you! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 06:17:23 AM EST
We want none of your logic and common sense around here!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Sorry, sorry by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 06:21:43 AM EST
I've been stuck in requirements gathering hell for the last week and a half, and having to be the voice of reason so often is having a negative effect...

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Could do by whazat (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 09:23:21 AM EST
But sensitivity of information is tricky thing. Is the fact someone with a named blog is going on holiday a sensitive bit of information?

Yes, if thieves get more techno savvy and target people who are going away.

Also pictures from lhusi meetups may become more sensitive if face recognition software increases.

Anyway that aside, my suggestion is mainly a way for google to cover their asses so they can say that if people wish to keep information not catalogued by google they should use these tags.

They could also be used in gmail/webmail so that people can put sensitive information and google won't access it for targetted searches (if they keep to their do no evil motto).

The majority of people won't know about it or use it, google will be seen to be doing something about privacy and the paranoid but stupid few who use it to cover sensitive information will give a good flag for law enforcement and criminals web crawlers to look for.

So wins all round then.

The revolution will not be realised

If hulver would just learn how to use by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 11, 2005 at 06:29:04 AM EST
hosts.allow and hosts.deny, we wouldn't have to worry.

Keeping the spiders away | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback