Print Story Ghost Town (You can't sit down)
Ranting
By extremely tedious HuSer (Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 05:35:53 AM EST) (all tags)
Grumpy? I call it 'a healthy dose of cynism'

Just in
Some sent me this Return of the Sith link. I have no use for it, you guys may find it amusing.

Olympics
So, despite having fucked up royally before, the British governemnt get their chance to spend a big chunk of our tax money on some sporting event or other. Even though Britain does not take part in some of the competitions because a couple of its provinces like to think themselves as nations.

I am sure the 2012 Olympics will be as good as any other Oluympics - that is, 'good' if you like watching doped up zombies run around a field in order to earn the right to run around it again in slow mation, wrapped in their flag, so that newspapers back in their homecountry can print theri pictures on the front page. Now I expect 7 years of the British banging on and on and on about hosting them, and the Dayly-and-Evening-Too Mail crying "Shambles!" every other week. I just hope I will have moved to another country by then.

ANOTHER WWII celebration?
Talking of banging on, there was some WWII remembrance thing on the BBC last night. I may be wrong, but isn't it already the third time this year that there is some celebration or other about the end of WWII? Now don't take me wrong, I am happy the Bad Guys got their arse kicked by the AmeRuskis, and the Brits played their part too. But isn't a yearly celebration enough? With that, Trafalgar and now the Borimpics it's been non-stop jingoism for last couple months. At least this comes with a game.
Thank god they didn't win the Eurovision Song Contest too, that would have been the straw the broke the camel's back.

Beach week end
Off to Italy for a few days tomorrow. Wedding and beach.
May help with the grumpiness.

< Is that a buger in your nose, or are you just happy to see me? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ghost Town (You can't sit down) | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeah by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 05:43:02 AM EST
But just think of the national pride Britian will have when the nations fastest runner finishes 7th in the 100M dash.

Just kidding. Actually the world will pretty much forget about 2012 for a while, since in 2008 we're all going to China. Word is the Chinese are going all out with their sports training for this, as they want to win the overall medal count, and pull a "Look how Teh Awesome we are" type thing like Germans did in the '36 Berlin Olympics, except without all the war mongering (hopefully).

'Look how Teh Awesome we are' by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 05:48:40 AM EST
I'm not sure whether you'll have to go back all the way to 36 for that - one thinks of the 1980/1984 olympics.

Good thing with China's Olympics, they'll be at nighttime, so I can pretty much ignore them.

That's true by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 05:54:33 AM EST

Won't that be a bit dangerous by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 06:10:12 AM EST
You know, javelins dropping out of the dark, nobody noticing the drowned swimmers until morning, vampyres hopping and rotting all over the place.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Excellent Language Misunderstanding Link by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 06:07:26 AM EST

Happy Wedding and Beaching, sir!

Thank you sir. by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 07:21:25 AM EST

Want to come to America and start a cheap by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 06:53:23 AM EST
restaurant? We were looking for a cheap stereotypical Italian restaurant Saturday night (you know, pasta, red sauce, meatballs, that wine in the wicker) and ended up at a pricey plaze that barely had any pasta at all. Lots of dead animal centric dishes, with polenta and risotto, which makes me suspect they were probably northern Italians.

Sorry, got other plans. by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 07:18:09 AM EST
Good to know modern italian is making inroads even out in the sticks

Forget the "doped up zombies" by thenick (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 07:48:06 AM EST
I watch the summer Olympics for the female beach volleyball players. The Norwegians nearly gave me carpal tunnel during the 2004 Olympics.

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

I prefer the runners myself by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 08:04:49 AM EST
Bit of a R.Crumb thing, I suppose.