Print Story Brilliant!
Photos
By stark (Thu Jul 28, 2005 at 10:48:18 PM EST) edinburgh, weddings, beer, vomit, sudoku, hacked, photos, photo (all tags)
In't work brilliant?! You can, like, wake up early, get on a train, an' everything! Then you get to big office block with no windows, and spend all day typing away with people shouting at you!

Brilliant!

Inside: Weddings, vomiting, being hacked, photo of the day

Weddings
Firmly in the wedding phase of life at the moment; infinitely preferable to the baby phase where you get to hold a smaller version of Winston Churchill and hope you don't drop it on its head. I suspect the wedding phase has still got some legs; we only have three to go to this year, and the first was on Saturday in sunny Edinburgh.

Edinburgh: fantastic city. Took Friday off work, got an early flight with the gf and was in Edinburgh centre by 10.30am. Most of the afternoon was spent relaxing in Princes Street gardens (introducing the gf to su doku) and downing some beers in the Pear Tree's beer garden. Went to Howies on Victoria Street, where I had some amazing lamb - really good stuff. Finished off the evening meeting up with an ex-uni friend (who was also up for the wedding) in All Bar One on George Street.

Wedding was rather over-the-top, but in a nice way. Reception at the Caledonian Hotel, which was pretty impressive, at least until I'd downed enough champagne to stop me focusing. Nice food, good people and a chance to meet up with lots of old University people who I've not seen for a while. All good stuff.

Vomiting
Warning: grim descriptions in the next paragraph. You might want to skip onto the bit where I discovered that the hosting company's webserver had been hacked instead.

Had a nasty experience on Tuesday, when it turned out that my lunch disagreed with me and I spent much of the afternoon feeling pretty nauseous, before finally chucking up my guts in the toilets. Lovely, I'm sure you'll agree. It's the first time in ages that I've thrown up that isn't due to beer, and it's a pretty unpleasant feeling; at least when you're lagered up you can guarantee that it's mostly liquids that are coming back up. Trying to throw up semi-digested solids is hard work and the bile sticks in your throat. It hurt to swallow for the rest of the evening. The gf turned me onto a starvation diet until the next day's lunchtime, which seemed to have done the trick.

Website was hacked
Some idiots decided to use their mad skillz to hack the server on which my website resides. I was a bit annoyed by this, but more upset by the content that replaced it. The admins who look after the box have restored from backup now, but whoever looks after Brian Apps' site isn't as quick. Obviously hacking websites is a highly effective way of expressing your disgust at the police's killing of Jean Charles de Menezes.

After all of this some of the code for my weblog doesn't seem to be working, notably the bit that actually allows you to post. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Annoying.

Hmmm... Gritty? Urban? Surely somewhere like Hackney or Brixton, right? No, taken on a lamppost in St Andrew's Square in Edinburgh, actually. Trying to improve my B&W technique.

P.S. I should be at the Anchor tonight from about 5.30-6pm...

< Spider! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Brilliant! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dammit by stark (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 28, 2005 at 10:52:26 PM EST
Brian Apps' site has been fixed since I last checked. The summary for the first hit on the google search is what I was referring to.
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
I'll be there by Phage (3.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 28, 2005 at 10:54:06 PM EST
Look for tall old bloke clutching a pint.

WIPO - Calling home on the big white telephone.

Chucking by Herring (3.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 28, 2005 at 11:28:08 PM EST
Funny that. I had a coulpe of pints Monday lunchtime, felt crap, came back to the office and chucked. Not like me at all.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
The legendary "dodgy pint" by stark (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jul 28, 2005 at 11:38:49 PM EST
Had a very dubious pint of cider when I was young and innocent. Felt ill, threw up in the street, felt much better!

Admittedly my friend whose trouser leg was caught in the flow of cider and bile wasn't too pleased, but there you go.

Incredibly... by Alice Pulley (3.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jul 29, 2005 at 12:18:23 AM EST
...every time I have ever been sick after drinking beer, it has always been caused by a dodgy pint. Always.

Too mcuh green food dye in your cider by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Jul 29, 2005 at 01:14:38 AM EST
Makes for interesting projectile vomitting at halloween. Trust me.

Best baby description ever... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jul 29, 2005 at 12:22:41 AM EST
'a smaller version of Winston Churchill'.

Also, nice pic, should be an album cover for a band called 'Basement' or a band with an album called 'Basement'.

Everything after 'album cover' was kind of obvious really.

Thanks! by stark (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jul 29, 2005 at 12:35:37 AM EST
Although I'm pretty sure I've stolen the Winston Churchill thing from someone (Pratchett?).

Album cover: yeah, looks like it could potentially grace a depressing indie/rock band's first LP. Maybe I'll have to try and find a band who've already chosen that name and pimp it to them. Maybe this is the first step into commercial photography! Or perhaps not.

Thats actually a good plan! by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 29, 2005 at 01:01:38 AM EST
But then, I always think pimping is a good plan.

Missing Poll Options: by greyrat (3.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jul 29, 2005 at 05:35:59 AM EST
  • Driving the porcelain bus.

• Talking to Ralph on the big white phone.

• Brilliant! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback