Print Story I am a magnet for insanity.
Sci-Fi
By greyshade (Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 10:17:59 PM EST) (all tags)
I stop in to grab a meal from a local diner.  To go.  I sit, have my coffee at the bar, and walk to the register when my meal is ready.  There is a man sitting on the third stool away from the register.  He is upper-middle aged.  He has stubble, a pair of jeans, and a plaid shirt.  I would never have taken any exceptional note of him if he had not spoken to me.

While I am waiting for my debit card recipt to print, he leans towards me.  “Can you help me with something?”

He doesn’t have any food in front of him.  He does have a mug of coffee and an ashtray.  I assume he either needs a light, or wants to bum a smoke.  I was equipped to deal with either of these scenerios.  I amble across the intervening space while reaching for my cigarettes.

“Energy follows the path of least resistance, is that right,” he queries.  I freeze.  W-T-F

I need to do a quick reality check.

• the time is 2:30 am.

• I am in a diner.

• I have not ingested alcohol or any form of hallucination inducing substances.

<blink>

<blink>

“I mean… You took physics, right?” he insists.

• There is a man here quizzing random strangers on physics.

I explain that it has been awhile, and proceed to answer his questions to the best of my limited ability.  He tells me that I did a good job and that he thought a public defender in a recent trial was trying to pull his leg.

I also mentally question the quality of a juror that fact-checks by talking to strangers at a diner in the wee hours of the morning.

I'm waiting for Rod Sterling's voice-over to start any minute now.

• < Baby Killers | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
    I am a magnet for insanity. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
    Sorry. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 10:24:26 PM EST
    Didn't mean to freak you out.

No problem. by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 10:28:54 PM EST
    Just hit me with a subject I'm a little more versed in next time.  I'll be more likely to sit and chat awhile.

And...? AND....? by xth (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 12:19:48 AM EST
    Well what happened then? Where is the random violence? Where is the terror?? WHERE ARE THE ZOMBIES?????

[Thanks for your interest in xth's comments. This accont is now spent]
    And I went home and ate. by greyshade (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 12:46:53 AM EST
    I did have this dream last night where homeland security took away my cane knife before I was allowed to board Santa's sleigh.  The sleigh took me on a slow tour of an office building about one foot above desk level.  A friend who was riding with me jumped off the sleigh to frantically search a rolodex.  The sleigh was moving quite slowly, but he got left behind none the less.

dude by tps12 (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 03:17:02 AM EST
    That is the least weird thing to ever happen in a diner at 2:30 in the morning.

Yeah by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 03:42:38 AM EST
    I once had a random pop star try and sell me the book he was reading so that he could get some food. That was around 2:30am in a cafe that no longer exists...

I am a magnet for insanity. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback