Print Story Soy and More
By ChiefHoser (Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 04:59:07 AM EST) (all tags)
First attempt at home made soy milk or how I made a gigantic mess.

Albertans (not all of them, or most of them, just the loud ones).

Maybe more.

Soy
So I made my first attempt at produced soy milk from whole soy beans last night. As far as first attempts go, it wasn't bad. You have to soak the beans for a very long time and then go through various steps to extract the liquid from the solid. During the grinding process I had put in the beans and water into the blender after making sure the blender was sealed and went nuts. Shortly after turning on the blender I noticed a white liquid streaming out of the bottom of the blender, after hastily unplugging the blender and quickly dumping the half liquefied mixture into a pot I had a large mess in which to clean up. I thought I had sealed the blender properly, but apparently I didn't. Upon cleaning the mess I tried the blender again, this time with plain water (easier to clean if the mistake was repeated) and water leaked all over. Thoroughly confused I decided to try a different o-ring for the blender seal, this worked so off to the races I went. Upon finishing the highly unscientific process the milk was ready for intake. The finished product wasn't bad, a little bitter, much too strong (this is resultant on the unscientific way of 'measuring' the amount of soy beans), but drinkable. Overall it was a mild success and I am going to try it again with a more refined process and hopefully better product will be resultant.

Albertans
I read this today, I was kind of surprised that this kind of thing is getting more attention lately, although in hind sight I probably shouldn't be surprised what with the poster boy for Albertan politics slowly be pushed out of the federal spotlight and has been resigned to the summer BBQ circuit. I think it is a silly idea, but not being an Albertan or have ever lived in Albertan it is somewhat of an outside opinion. Nevertheless, it is silly.

The more
My wife and I are supposed to be moving soon, but we haven't signed the lease yet. This concerns me because I am worried about someone walking over and signing the lease and we have no legal foot to stand on. The people on the other side of the issue are waiting on their companies bureaucrats to do their job, so I suppose it isn't as bad as all that.

< Oy, my aching tooth | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Soy and More | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
what is the benefit by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 05:14:31 AM EST
to home-made soy milk, instead of just buying it at the store?
why bake your own bread by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 05:18:06 AM EST
or do your own canning/preserves, etc ?

For me, though I don't make soy milk, it's the personal feeling of accomplishment. It's fun.

Though, usually, for food based things, the hand/home made taste far superior to store bought.. Just not in this case ;)

Taste by ChiefHoser (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 05:22:35 AM EST
The hope is that I can eventually produce soy milk that is at the very least a good approximation to mass produced store bought soy milk.
--------------

Chiefhoser
Benefit by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 05:21:25 AM EST
I first looked into it for something to do, to see how hard it was, etc. etc.  If I can streamline the process it isn't too much work, just takes a lot of time (mostly due to the fact that the beans have to be soaked for 10ish hours), and provides soy milk that is uber-cheap. Here in Haligonia dairy is very expensive and so is soy milk so there is some incentive.

It is also quite healthy for you.
--------------

Chiefhoser

Price. by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 11:50:06 AM EST
The stuff you buy is incredibly expensive. I bought one of these a while back and it has almost paid for itself.

Soy milk maker by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 03:18:44 AM EST
I have been looking into getting one of those, but haven't been able to decide whether it is worth it or not. I will have give them a closer look.
--------------

Chiefhoser
Pretty easy to calculate. by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 05:06:34 AM EST
If you make it yourself it's about $0.25 a gallon since dried soybeans are so cheap - I get mine in bulk from a local grocery store. However unless you add stuff to it it will not taste like the store-bought kind. I prefer the homemade stuff because it tastes more "natural" but YMMV. There are plenty of recipes on the Internet from people who can make the homemade stuff taste like store bought.

The machine couldn't be easier to use: soak beans, put in basket, add water, press start. Cleanup takes maybe 5 minutes.

Quick and Easy by ChiefHoser (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 06:03:08 AM EST
The machine will likely be bought, I like how it is easy to clean and pretty painless. It might be awhile before I can justify the one-time expense, but soon.

I also prefer the natural, nothing added taste of soy milk to the store bought stuff.
--------------

Chiefhoser

If you don't end up liking it... by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 06:45:28 AM EST
the company has a 30 day guarantee. Pretty no-risk.

How do you milk a bean?? by TubeShoot (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 06:26:41 AM EST
Perhaps my biology teacher skipped the chapter "Milk, it's not just from mammals anymore".

It's not milk, so please refrain from calling it so KPLZTHX.
I am too stupid to completely grasp the depths of my own stupidity. -- TubeShoot '03.

it's metaphorical by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:42:21 AM EST
Jeez.

Alberta by 606 (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:28:00 AM EST
Welcome to the demented Alberta mindset: "we balanced our budget, we killed sales tax, we have the Alberta Advantage, everybody (important) is rich. We're so much better than Canada! Let's secede."

Bloody idiots, I just want to shake them and yell "the only reason we're doing so well is because there's fucking oil pouring out of the ground! Get off your high horse!"

The Alberta separatist movement has been going strong for years, but anyone with even a bit of sense knows it's all bull.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Aye by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:34:25 AM EST
Yeah, but it still surprises me to keep hearing about the seperatists every now and then, just as I thought it was dying out. Hopefully one of these days people will realize that the endless federal divisions that they want are nothing be detrimental in the long run.
--------------

Chiefhoser
there are always separatists by 606 (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:40:29 AM EST
The media recycles them back into the limelight every two years or so. It's nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, part of the vitality of Montreal is caused by the separatist threat, which adds stress-energy to the art and politics of Quebec. Separatists are a mixed blessing.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Mixed Blessing by ChiefHoser (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:48:31 AM EST
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a mixed blessing as much as the fact that at least some good is generated by the separatists.
--------------

Chiefhoser
probably the 'fault' of same sex marriage by theantix (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 09:16:33 AM EST
It's got all the right-winger's panties in knots, and Alberta's got lots of them.  And they have a point, really... if you can't discriminate against gays, how can you really call yourself a country?  Or uh, I think that's their point.

Sure, you've got the facts on your side -- but that's just your opinion.
This is right-wing country by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 09:25:33 AM EST
I just read this story and I thought it somehow well timed with the discussion about Alberta and one of the big reasons for separation is because Canada no longer represents the majority Albertan opinion. Maybe there will be a mass exodus to Alberta (although from what little I know of Alberta, also a fair sized exodus out).
--------------

Chiefhoser
I doubt it by theantix (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 09:48:42 AM EST
We don't have as many extremist whacko christians in Canada as they do in the US, any mass exodus to Aberta for those reasons would probably be masked by a mass exodus by other Canadians simply looking for work.

Right now Albertans resent Canada for taxing oil, because they see it as Alberta's oil and not Canada's oil.  They are frustrated that the rest of Canada outright rejects "their" ideas (you know, the ones they borrow from US republicans) and their leaders.  This is indeed the road to disenfranchisement and separation.

The only question is, how far does this road go?  BC, Sask, and the Atlantic provinces are developing their own oil reserves now and will become richer in the process, reducing the burden that Alberta is shouldering for the rest of Canada (except Ontario).  Eventually they might even realize that man on man monogamy isn't the society-crusher they thought it would be.

And most of all, eventually immigration to Alberta will soften the hard-right edges of the province, already the PCs and the right-nutter party only got a combined ~55% in the last election.  That's hardly a ringing endorsement for the idea that Alberta is significantly out of step with the majority of Canadian opinion.

Sure, you've got the facts on your side -- but that's just your opinion.

right wingers wear panties? by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 01:29:41 PM EST
I thought that was too feminine a style of dress for them.
Soy and More | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback