Print Story plug
Money
By calla (Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 06:33:41 PM EST) (all tags)
I'm hella low on cash. Figured a little self promotion wouldn't hurt.

Poll: what do you do for cash?

Ok. So I'm a designer/illustrator. The design stuff I've done lately is at work - I may post some of those designs later.

Here's a couple of my illustrations.

Romancing the DragonA void will soon be filled

Most recently I've been doing Mayan style icons like this unfinished one (still needs vibrant colors)Healerman

I've been doing freelance illustration for years. The bulk of my work has been spot editorial illustrations. Simple drawings for magazine articles.

Anyone with any illustrative needs? I've got great rates. I can provide more samples if needed.

Any design or illustrative leads? Let me know.

< Statistically Improbable Phrase of the Day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
plug | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Anything with.... by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 06:41:23 PM EST
Less flowers and more woodsy, with forest type animals?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I can do woodsy stuff by calla (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:15:51 PM EST
here's a low res scan of part of a brochure I did.

Bird brochure

I really enjoy botanical illustration, so the bulk of my work has flowers.

Do you have something particular in mind?

not quite yet.... by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 05:12:43 AM EST
But maybe soon.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I sell my body for sexual engagements by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 06:45:46 PM EST
with the opposite gender (yes, and same species).

Holy crap woman! Those are gorgeous! I don't like the unfinished one, but the other two are wonderful. Sorry, But I can do nothing but 'pay' you compliments.

Of course, I give sex away too,

not lacking in the sex payment currently. by calla (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:19:18 PM EST
but thanks.

But here's another of my illustrations you probably won't like. It was for a story about a writers strike.

Editor Delivering Pizza

I think I nailed the assignment.

I like this one, and the unfinished one best [nt] by theantix (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:56:55 PM EST

Sure, you've got the facts on your side -- but that's just your opinion.
Nope. I like this one. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 02:38:09 AM EST

Hey! I wasn't selling or offering to you. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 02:41:39 AM EST
You already missed the boat. I was just sayin' how I pick up spare cash.

Ever do any web design work? by edward (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:21:59 PM EST
What do you use to illustrate? Do you scan your paper drawings, or work on the computer?

I've done a small amount of web design work by calla (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:30:05 PM EST
I thought I would do more, but I'm still stuck mostly in print.

Depending on the illustration, I usually start with brush and ink on bristol board, scan, then color on the computer. If the illustration is simple enough - I'll just mouse it.

I'm a geek for brush and ink.

You know of web design work? Any suggestions to brush up my web skills?

Hrm by edward (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 09:39:59 PM EST
Well I am always picking up new clients and although so far I seem to have been able to do most of the graphics work myself and have access to a co-op of designers for work that I can't do myself, there's always work around I think.

As for brushing up, it depends on what sort of web work. There's everything from ad banners to entire site designs. Generally, you'd probably want to find a layout designer who has experience in print layout to work with. The larger the project, the more delineated and spread out the various parts of the process are.

If you're interested in more than just illustration, your best bet is to start learning CSS I suppose, and learn how a modern site is laid out. You'll also want to familiarise yourself with common software tools like Photoshop and Illustrator but without a drawing tablet it's going to be difficult to transfer your talent from print to computer.

You might try joining a site like deviantart.com or look around for artist's collectives or coops in your area or nearby (I'm sure NYC is chock full of them) that you can connect with. The point is, you are obviously not short on talent. So what you need to do is network and let people know you are out there.

I work in Photoshop and Illustrator all day long. by calla (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 06:28:08 AM EST
They are standards in the print industry. The bulk of what I do at work is production - and some design. A rare illustration comes along.

I'll check out the co-ops - that's a great idea.

As for the lack of a tablet - I had a tablet, but really don't need one anymore. Scanning in my line art and using Streamline to convert it - is my favorite way to process my art. I've been fiddling around with Painter - which may be the way to get the final results I want.

Thanks.

Cheeseburger and littlestar by calla (4.00 / 4) #6 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 07:25:06 PM EST
This illustration reminds me of popsicle

Garden of Earthly Delights

Awesome!!!!! by TPD (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 11:32:31 PM EST
Now excuse me while I nurse this bruised jaw!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
call me slow by calla (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 01:25:34 PM EST
I didn't get the "jaw" comment at first.

Thanks.

I like the black & white one best by komet (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 11:38:35 PM EST
Not too fond of the garish colours, but that's probably just me.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of work if you put a portfolio online.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

I'll use the whole rainbow by calla (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 01:38:05 PM EST
if I have my way with any illustration. Although I have done some limited color pallet work.

Couldn't find the piece I was thinking of - but I found this, which has somewhat muted tones.

Wow by nebbish (4.00 / 3) #12 Tue Jul 12, 2005 at 11:52:09 PM EST
You're good. Sorry but I've never worked out how to make art pay.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

IAWTP by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 12:22:18 AM EST
I recall reading in the past about how in the future (i.e. now) robuts would take care of our every basic need, and we'd all create beautiful things for each other just for fun.  Where are the robuts?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Misdirected energy by Idempotent (3.25 / 4) #14 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 12:26:43 AM EST
Instead of making robots to take care of us, we made 'robots' to kill people on the other side of the world.

It pains me to think of all those bright people making killing machines, when they could have been contributing to utopia. But then, we need to kill Bad People more than we need to save illegal immigrants from doing menial tasks for us. Don't we?

Maybe those people were going to steal our stuff by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 12:50:00 AM EST
They're already squatting on our oil reserves.  I bet they were coveting our George Foreman grills as well.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Unilateral pre-emptive action! by Idempotent (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 12:51:41 AM EST
Peace and love is so last century.

well by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #21 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 04:55:01 AM EST
as we have all had to come to terms with, the rob/o/ts don't say "by your command" anymore.  they're just backdrop and not meant to do anything.

OOH! DO A UNICORN! by theboz (4.00 / 3) #19 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 03:28:18 AM EST
Just kidding. Good luck making some cash.
- - - - -
Two words: by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #24 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 05:30:29 AM EST
Li. Ger.

If I only had Napoleon's by calla (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 01:39:22 PM EST
mad drawing sklz.

link by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #20 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 03:50:21 AM EST
I should have thought of this one before -- how about an agent? I've worked with these people and they seemed pretty good (from my perspective), but there are surely many others.

Its becoming increasing difficult to believe, in the modern world, that anything outside of reality television, media trials, Medieval Total War and grapefruit are actually real. --coillte
I had an agent years ago. by calla (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 09:38:42 AM EST
But I moved away and wasn't impressed with her anyway.

I'll contact the agent you work with. I'd forgotten about agencies. Funny the things you forget.

Thanks,

Beautiful by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Jul 13, 2005 at 05:02:10 AM EST
'fraid I have no peeps for you to network with dear. Nor do I have cash enough to hire you. But best of luck in getting extra work. You're a very talented person. That's very with a capitol F!

If you ever find yourself illustrating a phoenix, I would consider tatooing it on myself.

I could do a phoenix by calla (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 01:48:11 PM EST
that would make you cry.

I'll keep your interest in mind, but I gotta stay focused on the cash right now.

focus grasshopper. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #33 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 04:48:49 PM EST

i've been looking for a botanical illustrator! by misslake (4.00 / 1) #27 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 12:02:01 PM EST
to design a giant tattoo to cover my back.
featuring my favourites of southern ontario's spring wildflowers.

full colour, with a few insects thrown in for good measure. ants and bees, maybe a morning cloak butterfly.

so i send you the names of the flowers and my dimensions and you do an illustration for how much?

you are like a dream come true. by calla (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Jul 14, 2005 at 01:23:36 PM EST
I've always thought that some of my work would tat well. I designed my own tat - but the guy who tatted it was lame.

I have no idea what a fair price would be. Do you? I'll look into a fair price - then give you a discount.

I'll send you a message via your listed e-mail addy.

plug | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback