Print Story Thank Crunchie
By stark (Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 04:45:23 AM EST) photos, land rover, canary wharf, birthday, hammock, car (all tags)
it's Friday

Inside:

• car p0rn!
  • Brief outlining of career progress
  • Birthday treats

Career
Got a pretty positive appraisal on Wednesday; looks like they've not checked the webserver logs for my username yet... the manager chap seems happy that I can cope with problems, even if they're caused by my own incompetence, which is nice. Managed to get an "exceeds expectations" overall which may bode well for future financial gains at the end of the year. Also promised a title change from "Developer" to "Senior Developer". Extra responsibility but no guaranteed extra cash - fantastic!

Birthday
was on Monday. Continually amazed at the fact that I'm still alive - 28 years so far and no sign of slowing down (well, apart from the hangovers getting worse, and my deteriorating eyesight, and various weird stress-related spasms).

Amongst other gifts, got fifty quid worth of B&Q vouchers from the parents (can you tell I bought a house recently?) with which I plan on buying a drill. Any recommendations?

Best present without a doubt from the gf: I got me a hammock. Not any hammock, but a triple-weave cotton Chacmool Hammock which we plan on installing in the garden. It's all fair trade as well which hopefully means some poor Mexican folks are getting along slightly better as a result!

Also got a trip to XScape at Milton Keynes where I had an hour of practising my snowboarding skills, which was excellent. Also watched Batman Begins which I actually rather enjoyed; certainly better than I had expected.

Car p0rn
Took some photos at the recent car expo at Canary Wharf; most desirable motorised carriage award went to the Ford GT:

However, in my opinion my best picture was this Land Rover:

I almost feel that could be brochure material, and that's without any fancy extra lighting. What do you think?

< I.R.C.T.O.A.D.D.T.T | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Thank Crunchie | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good shot of the landrover by cam (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 04:55:42 AM EST
Very urban jungle marketing speak. My wife likes those cars.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Thanks! by stark (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 05:12:15 AM EST
I quite liked the contrast between the red/orange of the Land Rover and the blue of the buildings, too.
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
Nice by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:21:12 AM EST
It's a little underexposed, and I would have cropped it a little lower, but other than that; very nice.

What camera?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

Canon EOS 300D by stark (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:28:40 AM EST
Pretty nice camera. I've not yet done any PS work on this shot yet so I should be able to crop and fiddle with the darkness levels at the bottom.

Thanks for the feedback, I often find it hard to look critically at shots that I like :-)

re: Canon EOS 300D by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:36:17 AM EST
I want one.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Nah by stark (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:44:57 AM EST
You want a Canon EOS 350D.

Smaller, faster, more features, not much more money - the next generation of the 300D series. Or if you have money to burn, a 20D or a 1Ds Mark II... <drools>

IAWTP by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 08:11:10 AM EST

I like those cars, too. I am, however, not cam's wife.

Are by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 10:35:28 AM EST
You a crack dealer?

Nope by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 10:36:29 AM EST

My interaction with crack has been strictly of the consumer variety.

In UKia by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 10:39:51 AM EST
Such conveyances are purchased exclusively by crack dealers and other assorted cocks.

While I understand the appeal, I'll still let your tires down when you're not looking if you buy one.

How was the crack for you then?

Much the same here by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 10:43:56 AM EST

at least in the urban areas. In the burbs and the rural areas, they're still associated with upper-tier income caucazoids, largely because they're 1) big, and 2) Anglophilic.

And fear not, I'm not going to be buying one, or any other four-wheeled motorized vehicle any time soon.

Crack is pretty nifty, really. It gets such horrible press that most drug-users I know are scared to death of it, but it beats the pants off straight cocaine, which doesn't provide much in the way of buzz, instead just gives you the stamina to take other chemicals (alchol inclusive) well beyond the point of no return.

Heh! by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 10:51:58 AM EST
Personally I always thought that Cocaine is totally overrated.

Just lets you drink more and for longer while yammering on like a total cock (basically the same effect as beer but removing all trace of self-hatred).

I'm tempted but given my proclivity for taking things too far, I'll probably avoid.

The worst (most irritating) 4x4 on the road at the minute is either the Beemer X5 (it's like a fucking cruise ship) or the Porsche Cayenne (more money than taste anyone?).

Those X5s are fucking retarded by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 11:00:59 AM EST

Same with the Porsche Cayenne. On the other hand, it pleases me to see them, if for no other reason to know that some jackass wasted 60,000 dollars on a machine that will never see one moment of off-road use, and if it did, would not even be as capable as a late-60's Toyota Landcruiser. Status uber alles. Crazy assclowns.

I agree that coke is totally overrated. It's more like really expensive ephedrine tabs than anything else; a secondary enhancement chemical for alleged improved primary drug experiences. Crack, on the other hand, definitely doeesn't make you yammer on like a total cock, and delivers a hearty, numbing sensation to the upper extremeties. But I say too much, and have, as such, branded myself, no doubt, as HuSi's resident crackhead. Oh well, such is life, eh?

I would by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 11:14:29 AM EST
"HuSi's resident crackhead"

sig that but I'm just too dashed decent. 'scuse me, must hold the door for this lady right here....

Oddly enough, a friend (gardener) had an '80s Toyota pick up for a while. Very much used off road but that 2l normally aspirated diesel was probably the most gutless piece of machinery I've ever encountered. That said, the damn thing was indestructable (albeit a lot of welding was involved in fighting the old rust).

Just make sure that whenever you see a 4x4 lying on its lid 'cos its dumbass owner thought that they could actually 'do' corners; you have a damn fine laugh!

Something is missing from that Land Rover pic by Rogerborg (3.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 05:34:49 AM EST
Ooh!  I know: the standard-issue skinny peroxide blonde.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
It was a bit sunny for Spike by stark (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 06:37:58 AM EST
Plus I can't afford models. JTL works around Canary Wharf, though, so maybe if I asked him nicely I could borrow his lady friend for a shoot or two...
Drills by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 06:34:25 AM EST

If you're going to be making holes in walls, get an SDS drill with proper pneumatic hammer action. Your typical Black and Decker or DIY shed "hammer" drill uses a cam which means most of the bang is from your arms trying to push the thing into the hole.

Interesting by stark (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 06:45:33 AM EST
SDS sounds pretty helpful, given the difficulty I've already had making even small holes in concrete.

Would something like this be any good?

Oh yes. by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:10:04 AM EST

That will do nicely. Rotation lock too so you can pretend to be a proper road mender!

Probably worth looking for a chuck adaptor for it as well, which is basically an SDS shaft that fits the drill at one end and a normal screw chuck at the other, that lets you use ordinary bits in it. It may have one included though the (special accessory) bit makes me wonder.

Need to light the driver's side a bit, by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:05:57 AM EST
but yes, a very marketable shot.

Thanks - was pleased with how it came out by stark (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 07:25:47 AM EST
considering I was just spending 30 mins wandering around sans tripod or any other gear.

I guess a reflector just off to the right would probably do the trick, or possibly some sort of spotlight to get nice shiny highlights. I've yet to play around in any scenario where you actually have proper studio lighting, so my knowledge level is pretty close to zero...

BTW, I hate you for getting to by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 08:24:07 AM EST
stand so close to a GT40 -- the car of my wildest dreams...

Shame by idiot boy (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jul 01, 2005 at 10:34:34 AM EST
It's an ugly heap of shit that only a crack dealer would buy.

Good photo though.