Print Story I just took a ride
By Herring (Tue Jun 07, 2005 at 11:51:04 PM EST) (all tags)
in a washing machine
and I'm still feeling mean
I got a washing machine

Collection and installation of washing machine went very easily. Hooray. While I was in Curry's, I picked up a box of CD-Rs. Was mildly surprised that they didn't try to sell me an extended warranty on them.

Highlight of the day: an employee attitude survey. They stopped doing them a couple of years ago because the results were depressing.

In unrelated news, someone in senior management left a Powerpoint presentation lying around which is marked as "sensitive" and "confidential". It contains info on what jobs are going to India over the next couple of years. I hope this sensitive information doesn't get spread widely around the company ...

Anyhow, now I need to click on "Strongly Disagree" many times.

< MIDI help, plzthx! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I just took a ride | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oblig WIPOs by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:25:10 AM EST
  1. Other
  2. Meh
  3. Electrifying (and not in the good way)
  4. This job was so bad, in so many ways that DullTrev/CU/Herring/Hulver/etc. actually got their arse in gear and found a job in a different company.

Apathy rules by hulver (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:27:52 AM EST
I think being kicked in the bollocks every hour might hasten my job search, then again maybe I'd just continue to put up with it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
As I've said before by Herring (4.00 / 5) #3 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:29:00 AM EST
Inertia makes the world go round.

Herring - Official HuSi diarist of the 2016 European Korfball Championship (October 22nd, Dordrecht, Netherlands)
I thought Dulltrev liked his job. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:50:44 AM EST

Oblig: Doooooomed I tell you! (n/t) by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 02:53:26 AM EST

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jun 09, 2005 at 02:04:06 AM EST

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHA.

HA.

Yeah, I love my job.

DFJ?
See, you're even laughing. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jun 09, 2005 at 03:20:42 AM EST
Must be good.

Also, you live one station up the railway line from me. Fancy meeting up of an evening sometime?

Strongly Disagree by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:34:13 AM EST

Watch for the trick "I deserve a pay increase" question when you're running down the list. Mustn't give the catberts accidental ammunition...

I do read the questions first by Herring (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 03:51:53 AM EST
in case I accidentally put a positive answer. They switch stuff around to catch people like that. Also, it has been known for them to discard 100% negative responses as "statistical outliers" (we know this because they break down by teams - which can be quite small even if the responses are "confidential").

WIPO: Telepathetic by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:51:11 AM EST
I'm expected to read minds to determine what I should be doing.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
WIPO by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:55:26 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Finger-Dyke-Interface by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 02:39:17 AM EST
IS that dyke as in 'dikes of Holland', dyke as in the wire cutting tool, or dyke as in, well, you know.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

All of the above [nt] by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 03:34:44 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Kafkaesque? by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 12:59:30 AM EST
So, we've had some servers rebuilt from scratch to try to fix a problem that the third party consultants have been baffled by (on and off) for months (when they were actually looking at it, that is).

All that remains is to get them racked. So, the project manager 'phones the relevant person. "Oh, I can't rack them yet, they need to be tested for security and signed off - you need to talk to $engineer".

So, the PM 'phones $engineer. "Oh, no, I can't do the sign off, they have to be racked to perform the tests".

It took a 'phone call to the Head of Corporate Security (or whatever his title is) to get permission to send an email (CCing him) to ask for a waiver, which he then granted, to get the machines racked first, then tested.

For a live customer app, that's already been down for a week for the rebuild.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

clearly you're not a team player. {nt} by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 01:39:49 AM EST

Which word means by ajf (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 02:26:14 AM EST
"We're not allowed to buy a stick of RAM for the going market rate of $55, we have to spend $250 with these leeches, because having preferred suppliers is ... something or other"?

"I am not buying this jam, it's full of conservatives"
"Corporate" (n/t) by Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 02:54:29 AM EST

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Corporate? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 03:15:08 AM EST
There's 5 of us here and that's still the policy.

fine, faux-corporate by LinDze (4.00 / 3) #15 Wed Jun 08, 2005 at 03:26:02 AM EST
Its the wonderful idea where small, fast, mobile shops ignore all their advantages and emulate all the failures of larger companies without any of the actual advantages.

-Lin Dze