Print Story A hero's welcome.
Music
By extremely tedious HuSer (Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 06:51:05 AM EST) (all tags)

We partied like it was 1999
Oh, did we have fun for ti dave's return to HuSi yesterday. Bob Abooey and Ad Hoc going "take that you felon!", "No you take that!", granny webwench "I reee-meem-beeer the holy wars of 1972...", blixco "Kalifornia Uber Alles!", iGrrrl "I was there!", CRWM "I was there!", and hundreds more, too many to mention here. And suprvising all this, ti dave, knowing he's done a good day's work. And still convinced Blondie was not a punk.

Reaching a closure
After the bloodshed, it is time for diplomacy to step in. What we need is a Declaration of Punk we can all agree to, and refer to for future debates. This is just a quick draft, I am not claiming to be iGrrrl or anything.

Once upon a time...
So in the mid 1970s a new youth movement appeared in the West, and became known as 'punk'. Many people were part of the scene, some of them in bands. I think nobody can disagree with the fact that the Ramones were punks (right? RIGHT??) and had a lot to do with the creation of the whole scene with their first world tour which sparked off scenes wherever they played, from London (where they played at the Round House, in Camden, and inspired the Sex Pistols, the Clash, who were in the audience and hanged out with them back stage) to California. So far so good, right?

Many musicians were part of the scene, and not all of them actually sounded punk (e.g., Patti Smith) or did so only partially (e.g., early Blondie). Eventually, for a variety of reason (mostly to do with people wanting to making money and with cheap synthesizers becoming readingly available), the scene broke up in a myriad of directions: the Pistols self-destructed, Siouxsee went off to start Goth, the Clash, Talking Heads and Blondie got a beat, the Californians [I don't know what happened to them, from Europe they just seemed to be a bit isolated from the rest of the scene], Nina Hagen, the Damned, Generation X, Lene Lovich and many more were clever enough to cash in while they could. In short, they were punks no more. Except for he Ramones, never changed one bit (except for that stupid album they did with Phil Spector). Incidentally, you should try and watch The Ramones End Of The Century, it's excellent.

So there you have it: Blondie can be counted as punk (she was part of the scene) but they also can be counted as non-punk (95% of their music you can buy in the shop is disco music).

Also
I would also like to add, completely gratuitously, that I think Patti Smith is the most overrated musician in the history of Western civilasation - even more than Frank 'protector saint of trolls' Zappa. Her success is a triumph of design over content: she fooled everyone just because she looks xtremly cool on the cover of her first album. Patti Smith's music, in fact, is utter shit, has always been utter shit, and will always be utter shit.
Just wanted to have that in writing on the internet.

That's all, people
Thank you, and have a nice day.

< Thank Bob that's over | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A hero's welcome. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That was a good troll by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:06:03 AM EST
DC was a major part of the punk scene on the east coast of the US, so I got to see lots of punk acts here in the early 80's, after New Wave had split off but before metal had done so. The 9:30 club and The Bayou were good venues. Saw the Ramones at the Bayou in 83.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I wonder what the kids will make of it though by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:15:22 AM EST
a bnch of old gits on www tlkN bout sme ded muzc

I dunno, this diary would have been a better troll by webwench (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:05:49 AM EST
if it were at all original... sorry E.T.H.

|t's alright, granny webwench by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:22:52 AM EST
I know, it's nothing compared to The Great Punk Troll of 1923...

Me, I am not trolling - I have noticed that the debate is still going on in ti dave's diary, I am just trying to move it closer to the top of the diary queue. We could make it go on for weeks! Plus the Brits have hardly had their say on this, I think they would know a thing or two about punk.

In my day we called them 'UKians' by webwench (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:38:35 AM EST
and then we kicked them out of our country. We certainly didn't... solicit their opinions.

Goddamned kids and their newfangled ideas.

Those were the days. by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:44:31 AM EST
Young and carefree

Remember these T-shirts? by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:13:44 AM EST

Everything changes by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:18:33 AM EST

for musicians once they get a large advance dangled in front of them by a major label. I'm with you on Smith and Zappa assessments, as well. I've never quite understood the appeal of Smith. With Zappa, I understand the technical appeal of the complexity of the music, I don't want to hear the shit. And more than that, I don't want to hear Zappa fans waxing poetic about the shit.

Also, just so they don't go unmentioned: THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, THE FALL, and THE FALL. Yes-uh. Oh yes-uh.

I don't understand how I let them slip by by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:33:07 AM EST
I heard of them very often, but somehow I only managed to listen to them for the first time a few months ago. Yes, they are awesomg.

Hit the North by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Jun 23, 2005 at 12:16:41 AM EST
is the only song I know and it's ace.

Yet again MNS finds ways for me to spend my imminent pay packet...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

The Ramones weren't punk [nt] by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:25:23 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
If The Ramones weren't punk by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:37:42 AM EST
then no one was punk.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Agreed. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:39:59 AM EST

Next!

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
I don't know what they are by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 11:58:59 PM EST
but they're not very good.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

WIPO by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:33:00 AM EST
I've never listened to that silly music, so I wouldn't know.

but then how do you know it's silly? by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:33:34 AM EST

the genre by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:35:28 AM EST

Because if it weren't silly, by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:36:07 AM EST
he'd have listened to it, silly.

WIPO by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:41:43 AM EST

Blondie ... Ah, yes ... Chap from the Midlands ... responsible for the public rise of "Forestry" music ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
uh? by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:23:48 AM EST
That flew right over me head

Lets put a fork in this: by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:11:39 AM EST
Blondie, America's greatest pop band, etc etc etc.

Right from the official Blondie web site. Blondie was a pop band.

Ipso Facto and QED.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Go-Go Bob! by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:15:50 AM EST
You tell them!

I must admit, the whole issue has now become yet another victim of my extremely short attention span.

OMFGLOL!!!111likethego-goswereSOpunkithurts by ROFLCOPTER (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 08:13:46 AM EST

-1, leaves out Richard Hell by lm (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 12:33:10 PM EST
so there.

Cicero, The Republic
ti dave's return. by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #23 Wed Jun 22, 2005 at 07:19:42 PM EST
I don't think he ever left.

So a few people seem to think by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Jun 23, 2005 at 02:57:57 AM EST
I thought he was debacle, but I'm crap at these things.

A hero's welcome. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback