Print Story Another engineering failure.
Health
By extremely tedious HuSer (Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 09:51:56 AM EST) (all tags)
Quiz.
Xth owns one of them Brompton foldable bikes, which he (used to) love very much.
This morning xth was surprised by a spot of rain on  his way to work.
Xth is now sitting in A&E, waiting for someone to see my broken ankle.

For three points find a way to connect the above three events. For bonus points, determine why the hospital in North London I'm currently in cannot access my NHS records who are available to my doctor in South London. (Hint: the N in NHS stands for NATIONAL)

At the reception of the A&E two cops looking for a guy under surveillance.
"He should have left in mid afternoon escorted by two policemen"
"let me see... I can't find him'
[time passes. Nurse gets on the phone]
'I see! He wasn't discharged! The two policemen have left though.'
'Must have been the end of their shift. Can we get to the guy'
'Uhu... we can't find him'
[the two policemen look at each other]
'Should we go then?'

Obviously these policemen are related to the fuckers who ticked the box that says Brompton bikes are roadworthy.

< RED LETTER PUPPY DAY | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Another engineering failure. | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 09:59:29 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Wise counsel. by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:50:59 AM EST
No I just braked and the comedy prop bike skidded. It's not the first time it happens either.

And thanks.

I doubt it, somehow. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 08:57:52 AM EST
Saying you can make a Brompton skid with the standard brake immediately reduces the plausibility of your story.

Now if you'd said you wiggled the handlebars while descending a moderate hill, the back folded and you went over the bars, breaking your scaphoid, then I'd say that was plausible.

Commiserations, as the only other poster here to have broken a bone attempting to ride a Brompton in the past year.

What do you mean by 'plausibility'? by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 09:00:31 AM EST
You haven't tried riding a Brompton in the rain, have you? Come to a traffic light, brake, and off you go sitting on your bum.

I have. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 09:09:05 AM EST
It is true, the brakes don't lose that much efficacy in the wet, but they have almost none to start with, so I'm a little confused as to how they'd actually make it skid. You are using the front brake, aren't you?

Oh, get well soon. Hope it heals well.

Thank you by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 09:10:56 AM EST
I use both brakes at once just to slow down then hit with the back brake when I want to stop.

I have experience of losing the back. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 01:39:44 PM EST
I spent a fruitful family cycling holiday aged 10 racing down the gravel roads of campsites and jamming the back brake on to get the best possible skid, so maybe my experience is a little atypical, but on a normal bike, the back can do what it wants and I won't go off. If the front skids, however, ...

A Brompton's very different, though, because of the fact that the back wheel's not attached, but still, I'd aim for nearly all the braking being done with the front.

Also, if the Brompton I used was my own, I'd get the 5 quid clip that keeps the back wheel from folding until you unclip it. Available from Spa cycles in Harrogate, among others.

Anyway, I need to be getting to be.

I'll guess the hospital by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:35:26 PM EST
Since the number of hospitals still with A&E in North London is pretty small - only North Middlesex Hospital, Royal Free and Whittington.

I'll guess Royal Free.

s/North London/North of the River/ by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:37:38 PM EST
It was the sparkling new U! C! H!

U! Teh! Fail! It! by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:40:56 PM EST
North of the River is not North London you insensitive clod. How long have you been in London and you still make such basic geographical mistakes?

Well.... by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:48:36 PM EST
...if you live south of the river

No you are right, I have no excuse.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 02:13:51 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Hammersmith is *WEST* London by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 02:33:33 AM EST
Presumably you mean Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road, W6 8RF?

Or by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 02:35:01 AM EST
Hammersmith Hospital Ducane Road, W12

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 02:43:18 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Not our fault you're not educated proper by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 03:09:30 AM EST
You'll be telling me that Isle of Dogs and Chelsea are both North London next.

Here's a handy guide divided by post codes.

CENTRAL LONDON:   W1 W2 W8 SW1 SW3 SW5 SW6 SW7 SW10 SW11 WC1 WC2
CITY OF LONDON:   EC1 EC2 EC3 EC4
WEST LONDON:      W2 W3 W5 W6 W7 W8 W9 W11 W12 W13 W14
NORTH LONDON:     N1 N3 N4 N10 N12 NW1 NW2 NW3 NW4 NW6 NW7 NW8 NW10 NW11
EAST LONDON:      E1 E4 E7 E13 E14 E15 E16 E17 E18
SOUTH LONDON:     SE1 SE3 SE5 SE9 SE10 SE16 SE19 SW8 SW12 SW15 SW16 SW18 SW19

Notice any pattern?

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 03:57:02 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

Just face it. You are geographically challenged by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 05:17:09 AM EST
And South London is the colour of piss. Proof found here.

The HuSi Gods are punishing you by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:03:51 AM EST
For being happy.

Good luck surviving the NHS. If you have to go in for surgery, I suggest you write "OPERATE ON THIS LEG" on the damaged one...

Imagine the mischief one could mak by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:09:35 AM EST
..at night in an hospital with a marker pen...

Help, this leg is talking to me! by pinkcress (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:35:23 AM EST

wait a minute, this isn't my leg! [n/t] by martingale (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 03:20:32 PM EST

$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
It's funny you say that by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 01:43:14 PM EST
This is a picture of me a few years back.  The writing on my left leg does say what you think it does, and I didn't put it there.  What you can't see is that my left foot is literally twice the size of my right one, which makes you wonder why they bothered.

Link

Oh and yes, that horseshoe thing does have a bar that goes all the way through my foot.

Well, at least they didn't have to write by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:36:07 PM EST
 'LEG' on it!

Rain is tricky on single tracked vehicles by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:03:52 AM EST
especially if you've had a dry spell, and the roads are full of grease, oil, garbage and general crap, best to wait for fifteen minutes of soaking rain to clear it.

I suggest a folding, multitracked vehicle, like this one, or perhaps this hot number, or even the thing she's riding.

We've had plenty of rain here this spring, so while I don't seek out rain on my bike, I've ridden in it a few times without incident.

Couldn't follow your links by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:12:31 AM EST
(Currently a PeDestriAn)

Living in the UK, I have cycled in the rain many a time. But these Brompton foldables with their tiny smooth wheels are something else. They should come with a health warning.

Ouch. by i (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:04:03 AM EST
Please get well soon.

Seconded! by spiralx (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:11:00 AM EST

Thank you guys! by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:04:02 AM EST

ObPlzPostPixKthx by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 10:34:49 AM EST

Is the bike still ridable? Or fixable, then ridable? And good luck, that sounds fucking awful, pain-wise.

Thanks by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 11:02:32 AM EST
The bike's OK - it wasn't a big fall, two small ones in a sequence.

If it makes you feel better. by burtman (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 01:37:19 PM EST
My Bike and I accidentally got involved in a tag team match with a tree and a rock yesterday, I think the rock won, but I'm not going to ask for a rematch. I am missing skin from my right arm and leg and  I appear to have two elbows on one side of my body. Of course I did this at the bottom of the hill and had to ride back up the hill to the car.

dyslexic and lazy
Deal
Err... by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 01:44:11 PM EST
...no it doen't.

But get better soon.

Get well soon by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 12:11:43 AM EST
Cycling injuries maketh a man.

My dad's got a Brompton - I've been put off them for ever by the sight of him looking a complete tit on it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Thanks. Tell him not to ride them when it rains. by extremely tedious HuSer (4.00 / 1) #23 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 01:12:19 AM EST
I am not kidding - it's like skateboarding on a bar of soap.

Bicycles aren't supposed to fold. by zantispam (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 05:13:17 AM EST
HTH, HAND, GBS*

* get better soon

Suffice to say you're one of those dicks that just keeps on giving, like a verdant dick-tree sprouted from a freshly fallen dick seed. -- debacle

Cheers. by extremely tedious HuSer (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 05:14:01 AM EST
the problem is the tiny wheels.

Another engineering failure. | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback