Print Story Birfday Wabbit
By CwazyWabbit (Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 12:43:50 AM EST) (all tags)
As ever off work for the womb eviction anniversary so there's more time for navel gazing.

Sorry, but this is a brain dump diary.

Scooposphere

Not been around HuSi/K5 so much recently. I got into them largely due to working at home to my own schedule and having no daytime social contact. Back in an office now and there's suddenly so little time.

Interestingly, I'm reading HuSi far more these days. It seems a lot of work keeping up with the K5 soap opera but HuSi is far better for dipping in and out. K5 as psycho date to HuSi as bootycall?

Work

The new job has made me realise working in Java has poisoned my mind. I used to love being the anal retentive C language lawyer. At a recent review meeting I heard the comment "This construct [if (foo)] relies on the default C condition of true being non-zero which is not the case on some embedded compilers" which filled me with utter despair.

So I've worked with Java and been enjoying playing with Python. How does one get a job in either when all your experience is C in embedded systems? Seems there's fuck all chance of doing anything but C where I am. Ho hum, I'll learn Python by writing a GPLed collaborative media engine or something for my entertainment and CV.

Dear Hulver, if I must prepend an href with http:// plz make error message clearer also possibly put error messages in red omgkthxbye

Life

Moved (back) to Cambridge. Spending much time commuting, so little time to actually go out and see the few friends I have here. Must get car. Must learn to drive. Growing up with London's transport system has left me incapable of functioning effectively anywhere else in the country.

Cambridge being full of students, the chances of finding a boyfriend seem tiny. Now being ten years older than freshers means that dating any would be a Jesus Juicetm scenario. London is only a 48 minute train ride away, but that's far enough to make a decent relationship very difficult. Ah well, I got an XXL membership so at least I can spend Saturday night getting pissed and dancing like a tit with the big boys for slightly less money. Maybe go tonight. Hmm.

I'm so getting tired of building a life and then throwing it away to move cities for a new job. Seems that long term the choices are settle in the South East or get a new career. Being a sparky doesn't sound too bad - it's just surviving while training could be hard.

Puppy

Mum dogsat a puppy and fell in love. Puppy now adopted, christened Dougal. Far better than the cat we never agreed a name for and ended up calling Cat. Can you imagine what people thought when we would call him in from the street?

This being HuSi, picture follows:

< Man goes into a pub | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Birfday Wabbit | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Trippy carpet! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 12:52:35 AM EST
Lovely dog as well. Reminds me, I have a dog story I need to write up...

You ever had any driving lessons? I haven't got the first fucking clue.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Oh and happy birthday! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 12:57:36 AM EST
Sorry, I seem to have left my manners at home this morning.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

It matched the orginal wallpaper by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 12:58:01 AM EST
when we got the house. Purple and gold flock. More than one guest suggested a resemblance to an Indian restaurant.

I had a fair number of driving lessons in Manc at the new year but have forgotten it all. Had a couple down here with an Italian guy who consistently could push me to edge of sobbing or strangling him. We're on a break right now.

Driving is not so bad - the hardest part I find is dealing with other cars. If it was just me on the roads, I'd be fine.

My attitude as well by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 01:16:11 AM EST
Everyone on the road is a wanker apart from me.

Just to make you sick - a mate of mine has recently passed his test after three lessons or something daft like that.

Personally I think brightly coloured rooms are a good thing. Death to white walls and floorboards!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I like period rooms by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 02:21:20 AM EST
You can't use victorian colour schemes with most modern furniture. Well, affordable modern furniture.

That said, my mum's living room is an interesting collection of pieces in which not a whole lot matches really. The carpet kind of suits. Unfortunately the pattern also disguises mouse entrails the cat has once or twice left lying around.

driving instructor by martingale (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 01:36:40 AM EST
I had a driving instructor once, he was Greek. We'd be driving around the streets and he'd point to a hottie walking on the sidewalk. "Hey, check out that gerl". I'd look. "WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY? LOOK AT THE ROAD!"
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
That's just mean! by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 02:15:01 AM EST
Although pretty good training for the test.

Of course once you start driving, you learn to lech, overtake and change radio station while eating drive-through foodproduct.

I've had plenty of people say that first you learn to pass the test, and only when you have do you actually learn to drive.

it kinda depends by martingale (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 02:25:18 AM EST
If you live out in the suburbs it's easy to learn to drive without too much stress, and the test is therefore relatively easier.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Cambridge now by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 02:33:46 AM EST
We gots much traffic here. In fact, I have no idea where I could park nearby if I did get a car.

also by martingale (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 02:37:30 AM EST
You have a lot of one way streets. But you can't drive on them anyway unless you buy a taxi.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Happy birthday + good puppage... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 02:55:28 AM EST
...although he has nothing on Waggy.

Cambridge is good, a fair bit to do, nice atmos and its fairly handy for getting to London madness - 48 minutes really isn't that long.

Jesus Juice comment v.funny.

I thought that too by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 03:16:06 AM EST
Hopefully there'll be a bar that has the bollocks to call a cocktail Jesus Juice.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I wonder what their door policy will be: by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 03:18:46 AM EST
No over 18's?

Ooooh, controversial...

Cheers by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 03:21:23 AM EST
48 minutes + to/from each end + commuting in/out Cambridge to work. Weekday evening dates are out :(

Cambridge is pretty cool. I just need to get myself driving so I can make some friends and enjoy it. Plenty on, went to see "Hello Dolly" last night at the Mumford theatre.

Yeah, that sounds a lot worse... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 03:25:46 AM EST
...when I used to work in London, the only time I did stuff in the week was there, when I'd stay over somewhere. I never had the energy (I can't even pretend it was the time) to do anything after getting the train home and really resented not having a 'home' life.

Now am ten mins from work and although I don't live in the greatest town (its on your train line into London, one of the ones that would make you shudder), its so cool being able to go home, sort self out (shower/food) and still be able to do stuff in the evening. Big reason why I don't go back into London.

+1, Contains Dougal! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 03:43:18 AM EST

And of course happy birthday, and all that. Also, surely Cambridge has instructors available, as opposed to students. Just sayin'.

Yup, puppy posted for you by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 04:02:13 AM EST
The choice of men in Cambridge seems to mostly be spring chickens (pop quiz: why do homos call young men "chickens"?) and dried turkey. Not many cuddly teddy bears :)

No more posting, off to London today by CwazyWabbit (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 04:02:29 AM EST
Manchester tomorrow for R.E.M. on Friday.

Feel free to validate my existence in my absence!

Happy Birthday! by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 04:16:07 AM EST

Happy Birthday! by ana (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 04:40:34 AM EST
Mine's tomorrow.

Why do my fingers insist on putting a T next to the A in Birthday?

Also, +1 cute puppy.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

And happy birthday to you! |nt by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 11:51:01 AM EST

Happy Birthday old thing by idiot boy (4.00 / 2) #21 Wed Jun 15, 2005 at 10:41:21 AM EST
You'll be pleased to hear that I've come down out of the religion tree now and am a little more accepting of the more gullable types in life.

The obligitary doggie picture makes me want to post the obligitary herrian sack, bricks and canal picture but then I was never a fan of animals :).

By the way, if it makes you feel any better, I'm now stuck in Scotlandia working 16 hour days and have no life beyond project management. Kill me. No really. Kill me.

Happy womb eviction day anyhow :).

Misery loves company? by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Jun 19, 2005 at 11:51:13 AM EST
Is there life in project management though? If you want, I'll arrange for holy water to be shipped up.

Are you really more accepting, or just overworked to the point you can't be bothered? :)

No really by idiot boy (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon Jun 20, 2005 at 05:51:09 AM EST
I'm being a bit more tolerant. Decided that I <nrrrrrrrrrr> agreed with nebbish </nrrrrrrrrrrrr> and yourself that I was ignoring social\cultural\economic issues and focussing purely on the idea.

<Sigh> Still irritates me deeply but hey....

Also overworked to the point of not bothering.

Heh by CwazyWabbit (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jun 21, 2005 at 11:31:50 AM EST
Let me know how the tolerant thing works out. Humanity has ways of knocking out of you ;)

Birfday Wabbit | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback